Experimental, untested, tip from ed rosenthals pest book for mites

you’ll need to clean up your grow area, and give each plant a 10 foot distant, then vacuum off webs/mites, you can also apply water/air pressure to blast off mites I think

this method im guessing can be used to slow down mites before a herbal pesticide which may change flavor
found this in eds book

Preventive Measures
One of the most common (and most destructive) pests in cannabis gardens, spider mites can spread throughout a garden at an amazing rate. First, consider your location and the preferences of mites. Does your location allow any options that lower risk of infestations? Second, set rigorous protocols to avoid carrying pests into the garden space. Third, keep the garden sanitary and free of debris. See Preventive Maintenance as a primer or a reminder on important garden basics. Unfortunately, spider mites thrive under the same conditions as the plants, dry and hot. Mist weekly with herbal oils to repel pests.

Barriers & Physical Controls see Controls: Section 1
Air-intake filters
Vacuuming Water Spray
Pesticides see Controls: Section 2
Azadirachtin
Cinnamon
D-limonene Garlic
Herbal oils
Horticultural oils
Insecticidal soap
Neem oil
Pyrethrum
Sesame oil
Sulfur
Biological Controls see Controls: Section 3
Bacteria:
Saccharopolyspora spinosa (Spinosad)
Bugs:
minute pirate bugs (Orius spp.)
Fungus:
Beauveria bassiana
Midges, Gall:
Feltiella acarisuga (Cecidomyiid gall midge)
Predatory mites:
Galendromus occidentalis
Mesoseiulus longipes
Neoseiulus barkeri (or Amblyseius barkeri)
Neoseiulus californicus
Neoseiulus fallacis (Amblyseius fallacis)
Phytoseiid mites: Phytoseiulus persimilis”

Excerpt From
Marijuana Pest and Disease Control
Ed Rosenthal

This material may be protected by copyright.

1 Like

I did find on spider mites that I had to disrupt the webs to get good coverage from insecticidal soap, Spinosad, or even rubbing alcohol.

Indoors the vacuum seems like a good option.

2 Likes

the vacuum has me interested because it might let me grow outside in my backyard, I think with a structured plan someone might be able to chase away spider mites for good using these techniques, ie cleaning grow room and having a multi stage plan for spider mites

1 Like

Agreed. My spider mites have been gone for 2.5 months now. Fingers crossed!

Are you thinking of using insecticides during flower ? Dealing with spidermites during flower is a pain and not worth it, specially if the population is at a level where you can see webs. Youll just ruin your buds. Spraying and vacuum will not eliminate eggs and you will have feces as well - not to mention the most important, contaminated buds.

During veg, if you want to go nuclear you can use abamectin (which is organic - for whatever thats worth - no matter how much that hurts some ppl here lol) and it will solve your issues. Pyrethrins (without additives) are also good, and you can make your own with flowers or buy (without additives - pyrethroids etc) theres a good Daniel Fernandez video on youtube about it - you just have to inform yourself on their use specially if youre outdoor to not hurt wildlife. If youre indoor is easier to manage.
Both of these will solve a spider mite issue for good.

As prevention you can use nicotine (buy tobacco and soak in water). It works great as a deterrent.

Anywho, please dont vacuum mites in flower. Youre just leaving feces and eggs, and prob damaging the flower. And dont spray in flower either, If youre not talking about flowering phase, then disregard my comment :slight_smile:

Theres a good thread someone opened recently about dealing with spider mites with other methods than the ones i described, ill try to find it.
Edit: https://overgrow.com/t/mites-thrips-aphids-one-n-done-with-pics/
I havent followed that process but many seemed to like it.

Ozone generators do an excellent job and wiping these little bastards out of grow areas.Trick is to remove affected plants and do an entire clean down.The Ozone generators now have a water attachment to make a spray that sterilizes rhe area as well.Use with caution

1 Like

Sorry, I use my iPhone for most of my posting, but this method works best before pistils show. Mites can burrow deep in buds, and unless you can successfully take them out of every cluster you’re out of luck :frowning:

This method is best used on vegging pants, where you can get in between branches and slow down the mites

This method won’t get rid of them 100% but it has a chance of slowing them down

Go to sierranaturalscience.com They have all-natural products that can be used up to DAY OF HARVEST. You’ve got to stop the reproductive cycle. I’ve used them with great success. SS/BW…mister :honeybee: :100: :pray: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like