Extending outdoor sunlight hours with lights, Experiences please

We all know the old billion watt LED in the sky is far more powerful and effective than any replication we can come up with. So during veg, why not make use of the most direct hours of true sunlight then when evening comes move plants back to grow lights for remainder of desired light period??? Would it make enough of a difference to be worth the trouble? Hmmmmm… Any educated thoughts or experience with this ?

Just have a light outside on them to make up the hours to keep them vegging, a 50 watt flood light will do the trick

I am tired after reading the title of your thread lol.

5 Likes

i agree, if only because “commuter” plants are a PITA to me(even inside), and the other problem is bugs. you’re likely to bring some kinda 'chit in.

otherwise i’ve used a sunny window to “revitalize” clones that weren’t doing well… i think it’s: spectrum(UV mmmm), warmer soil…get’s the roots 'a-pumping.

my 2.5 c

:evergreen_tree:

2 Likes

Yes I have a policy that plants can go outside but can never be brought inside, It is just far too risky for the hydroponics system to get bugs etc.

5 Likes

You can add a light to disrupt the dark period enough to keep them vegging and this is the simple part. What you will have to work on is keeping the bugs out and this is not easy to do when you have lights on in the night. There will be a load of caterpillars on them and other bugs. IME if you don’t have a tightly sealed fine netting over them, it will be counterproductive.

2 Likes

yup the only time i brought plants from outside to in they came with thrips… never again! i’m going to disagree though… i’d take indoor over outdoor any day… need a more rigorous IPM system w/ outdoor too

I have been doing this for over thirty years.
After sunset I bring them in under HIDs until
sunrise. Also, if bad weather during the day.

If I have an indoor grow underway, I just put the out/in plants in a seperate part (room) of the house. Segregate them from the indoor plants.

Good luck.

5 Likes

So how many hours of sunlight do you have now?

I think cannabis requires more than 14 hours of light to stay in veg mode.

2 Likes

@calyxander. Thanks. That’s the voice of experience I was looking for. I have a 20x60 climate controlled green house in my yard. As cannabis is not all I grow. Just my favorite. Lol. So the pests are a non issue. Should have mentioned that but was really stoned. I to have been growing for a lifetime, but always learning from everyone. To my experience indoor has better bag appeal, at the very least more protected,if not better tricome production. And of course all obvious advantages of controlled climate.but outdoor plants constantly produce a far better yield and stronger terpene profiles if exposed to the elements on a regular basis. If flushed and cured right, it just plain tastes and smokes better. So on that good sativa high I had going on yesterday I started mixing the methods in my head. Also, I grow all soil and compost made myself. The way nature does it. People get too scientific. I have tried and had great success with all hydro methods. And they are great. But I was taught by the forefathers, that one can imitate, but never begin to duplicate mother nature. And to fight her is to defeat yourself. Natural begets natural. Artificial begets artificial. These plants, all plants, have thrived for millions of years before mankind evolved into the Earth’s most destructive parisite. Lol. Sorry, but it’s true. Also though, any plant only reaches it’s full potential through interaction with man… Hmmmmm… Too stoned again. Love all you guys. Keep growing.

2 Likes

Do snap some pics of the Green House please.

Overall I prefer sun grown buds. I give my plants the best of both worlds…
As much direct sunlight as possible, and no exposure to nasty weather which can decimate trichomes.
Torrential rain, hail, high winds etc., can seriously damage the precious trichomes.
I use smallish containers which are easy to move inside, out of destructive weather.
I also follow the direct sun by moving the containers when needed.
My plants also never stay outside overnight, this helps alleviate any PM or bud blight which typically gains a foothold overnight during damp and cool weather.
This is what I have done for a long time, as I grow for quality and variety, not yield.

5 Likes

@Calyxander, makes perfect since. I can tell you are a very knowledgeable, experienced, grower. I have severe pulmonary hypertension ( high blood pressure in my lungs), and congestive heart failure at age 39. I grow and breed for strength, medicinal properties, taste, and most of all smokability without lapsing into a coughing fit that could render me unconcious temporarily. No fun. Thanks for your wisdom Calyxander. Wich only truely comes through experience, or s gift given freely as most of us do on here. This forum is truly a great resource. And @99percent…no pics of green house till laws change. As unfortunately it is at this time a very clandestine and illegal venture mixed right in with a legitimate one and my livelyhood ( I grow and sell Vegetables, edible, plants and herbs. Baby plants and fresh produce. All organic. As nature surely provides everything we need to thrive and prosper. Physically, mentally, and even financially.

2 Likes

…hmmm… :smoking: :thinking:

i think it’s actually neither an indoor/outdoor issue, but rather, a “happy” environment = happy plant = happy hippy harvest = happy hippie… issue.
(WTF? u say)

outdoor, without an environmental control or stabilizer, is a far more stressful environment to the plant, unless it’s in a “native” climate & environment(adapted over time, e.g. landraces, heirlooms). indoors, it’s all about grower control & creating an environment. something like comparing an aquarium to a natural pond or stream?

the plant stress idea really hit home when i saw photos in (i think ed r’s more recent book) of 2 plants(clones) side by side. it was mel frank’s 1981 oakland ca greenhouse plant vs. outdoor (hot/dry/etc)… the greenhouse plant looked PROPER & what we all shoot for but the outdoor guerilla plant (1981 yall) looked like shit, a typical hash plant looking thing…what we’d expect.

so…to the idea that great genetics grown like shit = shit, and bagseed grown lovingly & knowingly = the best weed ever :wink: is supported by that.

i’ve had stuff that looked like a magazine-cover-champion that fell flat on its face, not mine… and questionable-looking-old-hippie/your parent’s weed that got me surprisingly high & smoked good…

shit. i’m doin it again

:evergreen_tree:

5 Likes

@cannabissequoia… lol dont feel bad man! I’m always doing it again! I catch myself writing whole books on here then going back and saying oh shit. No one wants to hear this whole chapter!. At least what you are saying makes since and comes from experience and not delusion of grandure. Oh shit. I’m doing it again too man. Lol. I love this forum.

2 Likes

ouch sorry to hear that, maybe gelcaps(leafly) or green dragon might be a good alternative or for the taste you could try chewing cob-cured cannabis

sounds like you have a nice garden, hopefully your state (or country) gets their head out of their ass soon :wink:

2 Likes