Fall 2021 Solo Cup Grow Off

I want to see this lol

1 Like

Ooooohhhh! I wanna see! The holes were made with a dollarstore soldering iron. Been using it to poke holes in plastic for years.

5 Likes

I think youā€™re going to spill your Fresca :rofl:

4 Likes

Iā€™m not in that cult!

2 Likes

They look much cleaner than when I stacked a dozen solo cups and ran a drill through the bottom a few times.

Iā€™m surprised I didnā€™t shred them. It kinda worked

8 Likes

:laughing:

2 Likes

@TestOfOath :

And here I thought I was being clever making the ā€œspeed holeā€ cups and drip system with spike emitters!

9 Likes

Give us a side shot :wink: , though so long as the roots stay within the cup you plant in or maintain the roots to stay within it then game on.

8 Likes

This is KILLING ME :laughing: .
Please let this man do this!
I wanna see what happens!

10 Likes

Oh my goodness! Thereā€™s some serious dorm-grow McGyver vibe building up in here.

Iā€™m pulling up a chair and taking notesā€¦

8 Likes

@Pigeonman and @TestOfOath I am still figuring out the hydro stuff.

How do you keep the roots in these cups?
:green_heart: :seedling:

4 Likes

You prune off the escapees!

9 Likes

My pots, all recycled. 1 liter and 500ml, milk bottles

This

To this

And this

To this

Together to form a mini SIP ( sub irrigated planter )

Cheers Johnny

15 Likes

@G-paS, Iā€™m gonna keep these next to the cups:

@Johnnybsmokin, lookinā€™ good!

6 Likes

To keep predators away right?

1 Like

Put the zip ties around the clear cup or say hot glue on some stoppers on the side to prevent the cup from going into the other then you can easily remove and maintain the roots on the clear cup.

Another idea just have something in the bottom of the red cup to prevent the clear one from dropping in further, yes will limit water space though will make the roots manageable.

3 Likes

Effort +1

Though I have to point out the first rule

ā€œContainer Must be a cupā€

3 Likes

Could someone clarify this last part for me, my brain just doesnā€™t want to wrap itself around this

Max starting count of 8 ā€œcupsā€ but not 8 actual plants? What good is a cup without a plant?

3 Likes

I interpreted as you can start a tray of 100+ seeds popping, but only 8 can go into a cup.

OR

Keep going and replant again IF something fails over and over until the deadline so long as you use max 8 cups (so 8 plants in the running at any one time.)

Otherwise one of us could grow in a 30 gallon and root trim it down to fit into a solo cup at the time of the contest photo finalsā€¦ WHICH WOULD ALSO BE FUNNY AS HECK!!

3 Likes

I understand that these have to be grown in cups, completely in cups, but itā€™s still the whole ā€œcups not plantsā€ thing that has me stumped

It specifically says ā€œcupsā€ not plants

No worries here, Iā€™ll start a few in different ā€œcupsā€ maybe up to 8 but probably less, if I have to cull them then I will when I get some more clarification

Thanks for your interpretation

@Mr.Sparkle, just wondering how I should read that last part, wanting your .02 when you have the free time

1 Like