Transplanting during Flowering is that good?

I would like to put plants in flowering in small pots just to that time that they show sex. Then i would cule out males and transplant females in larger pots. :upside_down_face:

I would like to know if thats good idea or its better not to do so? :sweat_smile:

Thanks and Best Wishes! :pray:

4 Likes

I veg in yogurt containers until they show and then I transplant and then flip.

But it really depends. This would be impractical outdoors.

6 Likes

Yeah i know that its not best practice so i ask :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Thatā€™s how i do it indoors,flip in solo-cups until sex,then transplant

not something iā€™d do if i didnā€™t have to though

3 Likes

The reason I do it this way is dictated by the constraints of my space and not so much as a best practice.

If I had a warehouse I wouldnā€™t do it this way.

2 Likes

You do what ya need to do, so if necessary, do the thing.

Otherwise, I generally try to limit stress during flowering as it tends to slow things down and increase the chances of nannersā€¦

My experiences seem to indicate transplant shock puts the brakes on new growth for a bit. -Seems to me I generally donā€™t start seeing recovery for at least a week, sometimes longer,

3 Likes

:point_up_2: agreed yes

Shock can be avoided with careful hands and some tricky moves, but yes.

2 Likes

This is where I tend to fail.

2 Likes

The trickiest of the moves I make is to build reverse sandcastles.

I fill a one gallon pot with mix and pop in an empty container of the same size as the original small pot. I then saturate this, wait a day or so so itā€™s not soggy remove the empty pot and then transplant.

If you ask me a lot of shock is actually overwatering stress.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s a good way. More of a ā€œslip potā€ and not disturbing the roots.

Pop it out the cup, drop it in the dirt hole, slight press down, and move on to the next one.

2 Likes

Itā€™s so gentle that I tousle the roots a little bit, on purpose, but only a little bit.

2 Likes

This is question is very subjective.
When you transplant, new roots grow taking up all of the energy the plant has to offer.
So I suggest transplant 2 weeks before flower for that reason.
Much like @Longtooth said below.

He makes another good point here, by messing with the roots right when you start flower you are asking for problems if the cultivar has intersex issues.
Most people donā€™t know that the roots do have an effect on sex.
You can even do a sex change just by cutting off the roots the right way.

Also, think about your wet dry cycle which is very important in flower.
If your pots are still not dry after 4-5 days you may want to reconsider your wet dry cycle.
It is best for me anyhow if My plants need to be watered everyday or every 2 days.
3 days is ok too, you have to fit it in your lifestyle.

So I just repeated what @Longtooth said with some added detail and reasoning.
Nice work Longtooth! :nerd_face:

4 Likes

On the topic of transplant shock.
It is mostly due to new root growth and the energy that takes.
With that said if my plant is a bit rootbound, I will slice the shit out of the rootball.
This makes the roots expand into the new soil faster.
Kinda like topping for the roots, more tips grow.
I feel if you donā€™t do this, sometimes the plants roots stay rootbound and only slowly grow into the new soil.

I never see intersex issues.
But I wait at least 2 weeks before I transition into flower.
Remember more roots equal more buds.
But the wet dry cycle need to be considered too.

2 Likes

Yeah good points there :+1: thanks for that explenation it makes sense :smiley: at that point its better to have root bound than to transplant it.

Wowā€¦never even considered this! Very cool!

Iā€™m always trying to disturb very little except when I see that the roots have started to ā€œcircleā€ in which case I try to free them.

Will definitely start slicing a bit and roughing a bit more where it makes sense.

The correct term would be ā€œmonster-croppingā€. (If you intend to have root growth and up-pot after finding out sex.) You would flip to flower to find sex, then flip back to veg. It would add a lot of time to your grow, but you would end up with huge bushes.

Better practice would be to veg them to maturity. They will naturally show sex around 5-6 weeks (usually).

If you really want to know earlier, there are ā€œsex test kitsā€ that tell you exactly what sex each plant is.

3 Likes

Agreed. There are ways to trick them if you really want to or you could just wait 5-6 weeks :+1:

2 Likes