Fast technique to sex seedlings

Not sure what the concensus is on longer lights off speeding up transition to flower. Some say it helps at the end to amber up tho…

2 Likes

Cost saving in my case :slight_smile:
No money science :rofl:

2 Likes

Think that myth was busted long ago…

7 Likes

Then I’d say wait 2-3 weeks. See if any show naturally. By then you’ll likely be able to snip a few clones that way too. If you wait two weeks to cut, then move to flower in four, I’d think you can make something work there.

3 Likes

What do you mean for “show naturally”?

1 Like

A lot of plants will show pre flowers even in veg. Not all so it’s not a perfect science, but many will. Lots of males love to show their stuff to me in veg.

9 Likes

I throw mine in 12/12 or 11/13 for 4-10 days depending on how fast it shows. Some strains take longer to show from seedling than others.
Back to veg and again some strains will take longer to revert back to good veg growth than others.

If you can take cuts great, but if they’re too small I wouldn’t bother with weak cuttings that will stunt both the cutting and the original. I wouldn’t run 8/16 to flower

3 Likes

That’s sounds very sensible to me.
How long does it take approximately to revert in vege?

1 Like

If you mean revert back to veg from flower. Varies by strain.
I did it to a bubba kush…it’s been about about a month and I think it’s finally stopped flowering and is making some offshoots. BK is slow in general
Another strain its rebounding after about 2 weeks and an uppot.

2 Likes

Then 1+4 weeks Vs 2+3 weeks. Interesting
I guess ( as usual) I will do a mix.

I guess I will cut and clone those seedlings which are tall enough…while I will wait 3-4 weeks more for the smalles to grow and after I will either put everything ( except clones and mother clones) under 12/12 and the famales I will transplant and move in the flowering room while the male will continue flowering in the vege room at 12/12 for pollen.
I will keep the clones in the windowsill ( middle.March).
How does it sounds?

3 Likes

So what’re you breeding?

1 Like

Selecting at the moment and getting to know some strains:

• Killer Skunk by UGORG
  • ESB F2 Flor du Mal
  • Subbies with some of OT1 memory or work

I would like to breed for preservation and diversity, use the males to revert some Mephisto genetics into photoperiod . And I would like to preserve some genetic diversity.

Just some pollen chucking no breeding:)

4 Likes

That would be me. No credit ever needed in any of my info. I share it for the love of the plant and those who wish to play.

3 Likes

I buy mine from here Farmer Freeman. $15 each, $12 each for 10.

I get them on the 420 sale. They are $10 each I think for sex testing. I test at the first real leaves. Saves me lot of time and pays for themself in the long run.

I used to just flip to 12/12 and throw out the males as they showed up. With a legeal limit of 12 for my med and 12 for the grandsons rec (pays to have two household/home) I can’t keep males except for making seeds. (which has been full time the last couple years.)

If they are sativa dominant and you want small plants
anyway;

:green_heart: :seedling:

5 Likes

Here’s a good read if your interested:

In it you will find this little tidbit:

:wink:

8 Likes

I agree. Many will show sex at the 5th node. It may be faster to just wait 1 week to see.

3 Likes

In my humble opinion
Nothing happens fast in the plant world.
Switching to this and back again stuff
Is a personal choice I suppose.
Patience is a virtue, and plants appreciate it.

Now I have some strains you don’t dare veg for more that 3 or 4 weeks or they will grow
Huge.

For Me I just am patient, they always reward
Thar.
Good luck

5 Likes

I like to do this, but a week is too long imo. At that point they’re gonna actually start to flower, and you’ll have to spend some time revegging. If they’re big enough, 2-4 days is plenty to stimulate preflower growth without actually starting flower; at 5 days I’ve had trouble with some plants wanting to reveg afterwards. As for the OP, I dunno if you’re gonna get anything out of these plants at 4 weeks from seed. They might have to be a little more mature before they really start showing. Either that, or I just start my plants slow, which is also a possibility… I usually figure about 6 weeks. Might also be that I just can’t see them at that size, and would need a microscope to really check for certain… :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

If they are mature, you can flip them for 3 days and then the males will show after about a week.

2 Likes

Interesting comment and I guess I will definitely consider it.

I checked yesterday and several seedling are very very small 3"…while others need in my opinion to be topped.

I have 3 baby plants (2 months old) together with the seedling and I guess I will move these in flower room maybe in 15-20l. I will clone those seedling that are already quite tall ( 8-9" -3/5 nodes) and sex…so I will start to figure it out better what I have and as suggested I will leave other plants to grow until are not big enough for normal cutting and sexing. The ones I will sex I will leave in vege to regrow.
I worked with 8 plants in 6.5l and I am not sure if it is the correct combination ( canopy and grow tent full, but small buds).