Favorite Blueberry strains?

gonna have to check it

2 Likes

@Ris / growingupganja.com and @Great_lakes_Genetics have good stock on hand :wink:

2 Likes

Currently, buy one get one free.

2 Likes

Coastal Blueberry

20 Likes

I’ll vouch for it too…excellent smoke and smells delicious.

4 Likes

@SHSC-1
Earlier in the thread you mention dj’s bluberry and flo being available as of 98.

Mark Emery’s catalogue had Blueberry and Flo offerings as of 96 from Sagamartha, who was partnered with DJ until they had issues and ended the partnership. So the blues were around from seedbanks earlier than you thought.

Not that that answers who exactly had early blueberry work and how it got into the Canadian market so heavily. There are several possible routes.

I have often thought that might be where at least some of the later confusion about DJ’s lines, people buy from Dutch Passion or Sagamartha and dont make the connection. AK beanbrain also has stories about a pre dj blueberry around him, to complicate stories further.

One thing thats safe to say, is DJ was concerned about his involvement with cannabis breeding when he first got into things and that would confuse who or where things came from. So it could be a lot of this is direct from DJ and he didnt want credit or attention. Or theres multiple sources of blueberry from different breeders.

3 Likes

I knew about emery’s seed listings before I made that trip in 98.
Expanding a bit on my history , in 96 was the 2nd year of me being on my own and not tied to my mentor and his grows. I had a friend who was desperate to leave his parents house and rent a place to grow. So I brought him into the fold as a room mate and apprentice I guess you could say. He was ahead of his time though as he had his head filled with all kinds of cannabis growing scenarios and even set up a refrigerator with a 400w hps as his clandestine grow cabinet. Anyways he was always bugging me about the seed catalogs and the cannabis culture cup events and the marc emery stuff… I didn’t need seeds , I was growing blueberry , biker hp and northern lights and my customers didn’t want or ask for anything else. It was not until 1998 after just cropping out and unloading the harvest, randy turns to me and says hey man, I’m going to check out the marc emery store… you coming? So I finally broke down and agreed to go. See I didn’t want to be known or show my face at events or weed related stores… just wasn’t my thing. When I walked in the store, Breeder Steve was there , though i had no clue who he was when I walked in. Randy was lke a kid in a candy store and it was his urgings and excitement that led me to pull a wad of cash out and throw down a couple grand for seeds and a few other things. Breeder Steve was repping Spice of Life alongside the DJ Short Delta 9 Collection… and the rest is history and story I have already told.
I’ve read that DJ was breeding all the way back to the 70’s and his blueberry originates from those days. I doubt that he was the only grower to find blueberry in Cannabis though. It’s seems a rainbow of fruit flavors are common to cannabis, blueberry being just one of them. I find grapefruit and mango-ish flavors/aromas in cannabis that by all accounts are unrelated to each other… again , blueberry and oher fruit flavors are common enough that they couldn’t have just originated from one breeder’s work. I could be wrong though. There is no question that DJ is the Godfather of Blueberry in the cannabis community. He earned it.

16 Likes

Thanks, always appreciate your stories

3 Likes

I have a Blue Star- Star Dream freebie I’d like to do this summer. Has anyone grown this?

4 Likes

I’m sure @Josh_Blue has, he made em… Maybe he’ll chime in and give some info…

2 Likes

Outdoor Star Dream in Mid Michigan.
She grew great and finished well in a tough climate where pm and botrytis are challenging. This is the candied blueberry pheno. She faded dark and smoked deliciously. Any questions, fire away.

24 Likes

THAT… looks amazing. Dark, skinny leaves. :sunglasses:

5 Likes

That’s great news, mine will be outside in Massachusetts. Thank you for the response @Josh_Blue and thank you for tagging him @Trickster!

2 Likes

Just S. of the Border @Sdoyle… Try to blow some of that smoke this way during a
NorEaster next winter…

2 Likes

Blueberry is one of the first strains I smoked regularly. I’d also had blue dream and liked It quite a bit.

I hadn’t smoked it for a while and was looking for blueberry Regs to start a project with and @Alaskagrown sent a bunch of blueberry auto regs. Since he’s a great, kind and generous fellow, think I said I’d pop up to 50 and he sent 100+ I’ve popped nearly all of them and did some selective breeding to make some more with my favorites. They’ve been an absolute blast to hunt through. Lot of blueberry as well as savory and herbaceous Thai basil curry ahd savory Asian spice notes. I just got 15 wet from one of my favorite plants to make some more and some smoke. These smoked great, as long as sleep wasn’t the goal. Not sure if that was my selection orvv bc what, but it’s where o started and ended up as I worked it. Sativa and sweetooth like blueberry auto regs. Some are lanky and Sativa like and those are often the ones that smell like booberry or straight blueberry preserves. The bushes are the ones that can be savory and almost cheese like, but almost always with berry. Some of these are strong motivational get stuff done kind of meds.

Right now I’m holding an old PNW DJ Short Blueberry cut (more daytime smoke), Blueberry Muffin, and a Blueberry Muffin x Vintage Blueberry mom. They’re all different and all great, nice happy medicine for the most part. The latter smells more of ripe blueberry and jam, the muffin is aptly named, and I haven’t flowered the cut yet. Getting ready to flower this girl a second time. This is the BBM x VB

Grows nothing like blueberry, and check out the internode spacing, very tight. It seems to have little relation to BBM, even though that’s momma.

Some before and after as I get her ready for flower and my inspiration for posting here. She’s 4’ ave in a 1 gallon. Very waxy and fragrant in veg. Was popped last March/april. Trimming her up made the whole room smell like blueberry. Check out my log if you want to see me flower some blueberry goodness.

13 Likes

man she looks wonderful,. those dark thin leaves are something to see. You got me at candied blueberry as well. Great job, Kudos

3 Likes

Hey, how’d the reveg go?

The time has come to harvest my blueberry twist.

It’s smelling delightful :blush:

25 Likes

I been hunting for the 90 s DJ Short BB seeds .That s my all time favorite and hopefully will find it one of these days…

5 Likes

Man those are tight asf BUDS … well done brother, absolute beautys

3 Likes