Small mylar bags for storage

I was considering using mylar bags to store buds long term. Say, maybe 7g per small bag. I would push out any air i could, then seal them with the heating element on a vacuum sealer.

Will this be better than storing in quart jars?

The jars are usually an oz per jar. they are opened when i run out. Not all of them seal perfectly, but it’s not too bad. I figured the bags would be more consistently sealed and I wouldn’t ever have to open anything I am not using.

Vacuum sealing the jars isn’t going to work out well and I have already tried bovedas which are just ok. I had considered just using a normal vacuum seal bags, but the material isn’t very good for bud. Mylar should be better on the trichs.

5 Likes

Personally I prefer jars but the ones with the big rubber grommet and the flip tops not mason jars.

Sometimes I’ll use a vacuum sealer but the kind where I can choose how much air gets sucked out.

Grove bags are perhaps another option but I know little about them.

6 Likes

do you think there is anything wrong with this mylar bag plan?

i have had some issues with the rubber grommet ones not sealing. i tried to move some TK x tangie long distance once and it stunk up the car in a scary way. maybe i had a bad one. lots of dispos seem to use them. the idea i guess with the mylar bags is i only have to open a quarter at a time.

I agree. For me, I prefer them because I’ve got some arthritis in my right hand and unscrewing the top when it’s on nice and tight, the way it should be, has become both more difficult and more painful. The flip tops work every bit as well as the screw tops.

I’ve never had an issue with that as long as I’m using a name brand like Ball. I stay away from brands I don’t know. I’m not implying that I’ve used “off” brands, because I haven’t.

3 Likes

I started with these but had some failure to seal issues (they got old…)
and went to the brown glass Ma$on type wide mouths.
Hint: inspect the rubber seal each time before using. They sell the lids separately for a reason.

@splinter7, the Mylar bags will work once the buds are dry and stable.
For me, I would use 1 Qt glass, vac sealed and carefully placed in a deep freeze chest freezer (you do not want to jostle them after they are frozen) for long term bud storage.

Another idea to consider might be bubble hash.
Lately, I’ve been saving a few nice buds off each plant for jarring and flash freezing all the rest (no drying) to make bubble hash later.
If you are interested, check out JoeCrowe’s master class thread on making bubble hash.
He is leading the industry & sharing the info… :exploding_head:

Cheers
G

5 Likes

I have had exceptional luck with the ikea ones but can’t speak to other brands.

2 Likes

I think mine were dollar store… :smirk:

Cheers
G

2 Likes

I’ve been thinking to grab some of these with extra clips for long term storage of buds beyond my Grove Bags, seems like with some extra clips that seal should be pretty great and Weck are just sooo nice:

4 Likes

Oh those are cool never seen them so tall before.

2 Likes

That picture and thinking “Grove bag” gave me an idea…

What if you grabbed a Mason jar… cut out a square 3" larger than the mouth of the jar out of the Grove bag… Fill the jar… use the square instead of the normal lid, seal with the ring.

You get the best benefits of both… you can replace the regular lid after the jar is stable and balanced and… reuse the square!

Cheers
G

4 Likes

@Gpaw There are 100% people doing this over on the Grove Bags thread, I think the wicket bags would be the best since they’re the thinnest and cheapest.

1 Like

@Foreigner they get bigger but the 1 or 1.5L cylinder seems good to me. Maybe for outdoor I’d use this?

1 Like

LOL, proof there is no original thought… or damned few… :rofl: :vulcan_salute:

Cheers
G

3 Likes

Ball & Kerr, all day :heart::heart::heart:

You can use em for herb, other herbs, salad dressings, soups. . … I remember when my wife went on the whole “mason jar salad” craze, that was fun :joy::joy::joy:

They do take up space but you can straight up boil sanitize them, reuse them for a MYRIAD of things and are pretty cheap. Get new lids periodically, most people neglect this part.

2 Likes

100% yes. I use a regular kitchen vacuum sealer with the plastic bags. Bud over a year old is still moist and tastes fantastic. I could never say the same for my mason jars

4 Likes

that’s what I have. Suck out the air until the bud just starts to squish and then hit seal - mine lets a little air back in while it does its thing so I vacuum a little more than desired to start.

5 Likes

I prefer the glass jars with the fip tops and rubber grommets as well but I happily use the mylar bags for easy transportation when I decide to take some smoking material out of the house. IMHO if anything plastic should be used for storing quality weed it’s mylar bags. But the N°1 pot pot is a glass pot pot (pot means jar in my language).

Oh and if you are going with mylar bags, I have heard sticking them in the freezer or fridge is good for storage as well. Just hearsay though. Never tried it myself.

1 Like

I would definitely lean towards mylar over plastic. After maybe 6 or 8 months I could definitely smell weed when I opened my container full of bags, I’m betting the mylar will be a little less permeable

2 Likes

From what I’ve read about it, you wanna make sure the Mylar is 7 mil and not 3-4 mil for a full barrier:

How To Choose the Right Thickness for Your Mylar Bags Depending on Your Product – How Mylar Bags Are Measured & Why It Matters – ePac Flexible Packaging United Kindgom.

3 Likes

I store my seeds in vacuum sealed Mylar bags and that works a treat, also I mix pollen with fine diatomaceous earth and then store that in Mylar bags in the freezer which also seems to keep it viable for ages.
The only issue I had is that they require a vacuum sealer that is designed for them or else it won’t be able to evacuate the air but if you don’t plan to do that then no issue.
These should work great for bud storage imho. You can get oxygen absorption pads cheap enough too.

For longer term bulk storage these days I use ex laboratory HDPE screw top chemical buckets that have been used for salt storage. They are completely air tight with a rubber seal, a ratchet lock and a vacuum port. I just throw a boveda or two in the bucket and it will keep virtually indefinitely. You can get them on Amazon:

1 Like