Feedback on my new DWC setup?

8 Atlas Autoflowers, Day 16

Tent 1 : Greasegun x2, Fog Dog x2

Tent2: Greasegun, Froot by the Fruit, GMO OG, Gummy Bears

2 Likes

looks pretty nice to me. i think i would use smaller tubs but that’s not a critique, just a personal preference.

2 Likes

I use Advanced Nutrients Sensi PH Perfect for my nutes, so the bigger the container, the longer I go between checking up on the girls. It’s become a super passive hobby now.

These containers hold about 27 gallons and me mounting the netcups flush with the lid base means I get to use all the container for water without missing 3ish inches from the top as classically people put netcups deeper inside the container.

Last round I used 31 gal containers, but found these blue bins hold a similar volume but use up the length of the tent better and are more shallow. It gives me more space in the tent for maintenance, etc. Comparison of last rounds black bin and this rounds blue bins: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

4 Likes

the ones on the right are the ones i was talking about. i never did fill them up more than halfway though, probably about the same level of water in your shallower ones.

1 Like

I’m very jealous of the blue bins. That’s my big-time beef, the totes are too tall!

1 Like

Those black bins and other similar ones are pretty bad because they swell really bad when you fill them with water. 31gal x 8.34 lbs = ~250lbs! So I don’t blame them. I had to run 2 wires inside the black bin to pull both sides together otherwise the lid wouldn’t even close and there was like 1 inch of each side of visible water to light. Some people say buy 2 sets and double up to prevent bin stretching but the wire trick works.

I ran wires for the blue bins, but so far that container in general is thicker and I don’t see any stretching: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

The other major elephant that I see in the room is the damn net cups taking out so much volume per container AND tall containers which I don’t see many people caring about. Even with the tall 31 black bins I can in theory run for 2 weeks without topping off, but after barely 1 week, the water is at 1/2 level and the roots are quite exposed which imo might affect growth. So I went with the blue bins because they are longer but more shallow.

when selecting the color, ironically blue bins are the cheapest too. I didn’t like the other colors :wink:

1 Like

i’ve never had that problem when using them, but they were half full. i only topped off every three or four days and it was a lot easier to change out water when there was only about 15g of it, and if i did it right, it was half empty from there so only about 7g. i didn’t have a tent but built a wooden cabinet so the length was more important to me. i think it would bug me if i had anything hitting the tent on both sides.

1 Like