FieldEffect's Attempt to Grow Indoors

I wear a baseball hat, LED glasses, a fishing hoodie and fishing gloves. I keep them on a coat rack by the door. Hoodie is the perfect temp in a 80F/70RH room.

3 Likes

Could they be to cold? Too close to a chilly floor?

Thermopan looks like interesting stuff, I’m adding that to my list of things to look out for in construction dumpsters! I have considered making duct for that sort of low profile use out of the foil faced rigid insulation board for garage doors, with the vapor barrier liner facing inwards, that might be more my budget since that stuff is dirt cheap to free.

I do have them connected like that, my ACI 6” fan pushes fresh air into the 4x4 flowering tent where I need the driest air and most refreshes, controlled by an Inkbird humidistat hanging above the canopy in there. I also keep a 4” Vivosun inline pushing air into the floor of the tent 24/7 on low, the 6” feed is above my light from the roof.

There are two exhaust ducts both 6”, one dumps back into the room, one feeds over to the roof of the 3x4 veg tent which is currently the Vortex flower tent. It’s a bit moist in there for flowering but it’s nice for veg, keeps them happy. That tent gets left open a decent amount during lights on, either side mesh window vents or the door, but I recently installed a 4” duct booster can on some ducting sucking off the floor and dumping back into the room because of how moist it’s been during flowering. I’ll probably
keep that but make it Inkbird controlled going forward, tied into the same sensor as the 6” fan so it boosts the throughput in the smaller tent. Or just leave it on, it’s like 22 watts.

3 Likes

The tent is sitting on ply wood and insulation 1 1/2 inch pink ridged thank you for taking you time to answer and I live in an apartment and the long heater and the window is about a foot from the tent so it get a little heat from there .

I think what I did was put immature seeds in to hot ground I had transfered the seedling from their original cups . I had just made the soil mixture the day before I transfer them into the gallon pots and when I did I watered them . I didn’t know you were supposed to let organic soil to rest for awhile before planting in it and I don’t think I gave the soil enough time .

It’s been a bit of work since last time. First part the best part, I think we’re ready to go!

I can crank the lights up full blast in the veg side without any detectable light in the flower side. The baffles work better than I expected. WAY better than I expected.

DONE: Flower chamber looking down

DONE: Flower chamber looking up

DONE: Filter tent air intake

DONE: Where the veg chamber exhausts to the flower chamber

DONE: Veg chamber air intake from flower chamber

DONE: Veg chamber looking down

DONE: DIY Veg light, I had to flip some things around so everything cleared the new baffle boxes

DONE: This is what the upper veg tray looks like with the exhaust fan to the flower chamber

DONE: This is where “fresh” air from the flower chamber enters the veg chamber

----------------BUILD PICS------------
First had to build/install the intake filter box:

Finished up my baffle boxes by spray painting interior flat black:

Install the intake fan and baffle for the veg chamber - mounted to frame:

Install the veg chamber exhaust fan and baffle box - again mounted to frame:

This is what the baffle boxes look like from the door of the flower chamber:

We’re really close. I need to figure out how to get the Controller 69 programmed with the smart plugs for the lights. Tomorrow I’ll pick up some Root Riots and a nice set of “normal” 10x20 veg trays. I have the fancy one but I want to keep some conventional, larger ones in stock. My intent is probably to use the fancy one to root clones and a more conventional tray just for keeping moms or small plants vegging. I’ll probably use the upper shelf for clone/seed starting because there’s less vertical room, and the lower for general veg stuff because it’s a little less cramped without the exhaust fan.

I need to decide what I’m going to run in the flower chamber. I’m really leaning towards doing an Ebb and Drain table so I can run several clones SOG-style. The goal is to make selections using this tent, and later on maybe use it for running males and collecting pollen.

I really want to run some of the 907 Blue Genes crosses I made last summer - NL #1 pollen and Shiskaberry pollen :sunglasses:

I’m fucking STOKED

23 Likes

That is a job well done :clap:t3:

5 Likes

"I"s are dotted and "T"s are crossed! You’re set up for success @FieldEffect , just need to bring in the stars of the show! Best of luck with your endeavors!
:v::canada:

4 Likes

I knew the next update would be a good one after seeing nothing for over a week :smiley: Good work! The lights looks professional!

What other options are you trading against ebb & flo?

1 Like

I like the idea of ebb and drain or flow for these reasons:

1. I basically add anything I want to grow on the table and it will survive
  2. Easy to experiment with media/containers
  3. I can start with a large number of plants, say 16 in a 4 x 4 grid. And easily remove males or undesirable phenos
  4. I can switch it up and just plop a bigger container on the table and things otherwise work the same

Essentially, it’s the flexibility I like about the idea. Just throw it on the tray and go. Downside being I lose about a foot of height unless I get really clever.

It seems to me other systems (DWC, drip, wick) are most suited to a small number of plants. I want as many flowering plants as possible to select temps and effects, and keep mothers alive until that is accomplished. I don’t care about yield, I want to make selections.

Maybe I should start by asking if that is even a decent concept?

6 Likes

Ebb & flow is awesome, it works great… I just wanted to know what else you were considering :smiley: Sounds like it will fit your needs and they’re super ez to put together.

4 Likes

Is there anything else I should be looking at? I am 100% newb at hydro but I have put a good amount of time into looking at different systems and flood/drain looks like my best option, especially in this tiny space.

I’m actually really excited about trying hydroponics. I’ve done lots of soil analysis and targeted amendments doing organics outside. Can’t wait to actually just know exactly what the plants are getting in real time

Certainly open to other things though, haven’t bought anything yet :smiley:

4 Likes

I’m sure you’ve checked out all the reasonable options and for what you’re looking to do I’d say it’s a good choice :+1:. Ebb and flow is a staple hydro setup. Water goes up, water comes down. Really only a pump to worry about and its duty cycle is so low. So you sleep easy at night :smiley:

What are you thinking about for medium and nutes?

2 Likes

I was planning to talk to the local shop about it when I go in. I’ll probably need to special order a 2x2 table I’ll probably do that through them just to give them some support. And pick up trays and stuff.

I really like the idea of rockwool cubes but I also really like the white mesh starter pots maybe filled with coco. Any recommendations?

Planning on running Megacrop 2-part. I really think it’s well-balanced and complete, regardless of cost. I already have plenty of that. But again, open to suggestions.

4 Likes

I’d say rockwool, hydroton(expanded clay balls) or a mix of are good options for ebb & flow so you have little debris returning to your reservoir, but that’s just what I’ve used in the past so I’m biased. Coco is awesome, keep it in your considerations! I don’t know how well it works in ebb and flow but I swear I’ve seen ppl here doing it. Million ways to skin this cat and they all have pros and cons :smiley:

Lots of ppl are using megacrop, use it especially if you already have it & have been using it. Hydroshops kill you for tray stands ($$$$) but its always worth checking.

3 Likes

I guess Blumats would be the other one? Unless that’s classified under a drip system… the auto fill would solve a plant count / container issue for a hybrid/octopot system, then you’d have to clean the line regularly though.

Benefit of octopots for me is the simplicity. But you are a man of precision, so they might hinder your progress.

3 Likes

You’re a madman :wink:

Awesome job :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I’m out of likes, not unappreciative :+1:

Thanks for all your input @NoCal.

@shade I love the idea of the octopot, especially with auto fill. But I can only fit 4 of them in my space. If I were growing just one, it would be great. I’ve seen the results here it’s a nice setup. Bluemat sounds great too (and I’d be 100% on this train if I was running organic). They have the gravity feed 12-pot setup for $160, I’ll take a better look. That may fit the bill too.

@Coda thanks! It’s not alive yet…soon!

They know me a bit at the shop they will probably recommend based on that. They’ve seen me take quite a journey in the last couple years :rofl:

6 Likes

Look at this: Hydrofarm MegaGarden Ebb & Flow Hydroponic System_Ebb and Flow Hydroponic Systems_Complete Hydroponic Systems_Hydroponics – Gro Indoor

I spent some more time looking for trays before I go to the shop. I assumed 2x2 would be, well, 24" x 24" but they are more like 28" x 28" which won’t fit. That MegaGarden saves me lots of headaches I think. Any thoughts?

3 Likes

I tried OD trays (3x3 and 4x4) and they just don’t fit in the same size tents. You can take the outside lips off with a saw but they basically touch the corners of the tent :disappointed:.

Ignoring the price that kit it does seem good for your space. Low stack height, good dimensions for your tent if they are using outside measurements.

Couple things to think about are reservoir access and res size. 8 gallons might be enough but those little mag drive pumps will leave 1-1.5” inches of water in the res when they start sucking air. Also looks like you have to remove the whole tray to pull the reservoir out?

Ramblin on. Good morning :wave:

2 Likes