FieldEffect's Attempt to Grow Indoors

17 December 2023: Tent Built - Pictures

I’ve exclusively grown outdoors for the last 3 years and it’s time to add some indoor capability beyond my ghetto seed-starting setup. I think initally I’ll run some seeds, cut some clones and do a selection for next season’s outdoor. Just to break myself in and adapt to growing inside.

Here’s what I’ve used for the last two years, note the aesthetically pleasing sweeps cut into the cardboard walls :rofl:

This is going to eventually be a grow log as well of the inagural operation of this tent, but at this point still getting stuff in and setting it up. I need some help deciding on the internal air circulation paths.

I live in a small home, so I can’t do a large tent, or even a moderate one. I am limited to the confines of my office, which has a small closet. You guys have already helped me pick the ventilation system, lights, and how to exhaust the air from the closet. I’ve spent the last few weeks starting to get things together and ordered as Black Friday special deals.

The Tent:
I selected the VivoSun D325 (36" wide, 24" deep and 54" tall) which handily fits in the closet with some limitations. A nice feature of this tent, at least when I was shopping for it, was the veg side partition, which is optional but for my purposes seemingly perfect. I have therefore a 2x2 flower space and two, stacked 2x1 veg spaces each 26" tall.

Lighting:
Fuck me this got out of hand quick. The whole thing started seeing a screamin’ deal on a TS3000. I got that before I even found a tent. I figured, 23" x 25" will fit in a 2’ deep tent. I hadn’t accounted for the poles which occupy space as well, unsurprisingly in retrospect, nor had I considered the air that would need to move past the light to the top of the tent where I intended to place my exhaust system. It’s just too big.

Thanks to Black Friday deals I picked up an XS1500 Pro with the lenses for about $80. This fits much better in the flower space and is really a proper fit to my limited footprint. Deciding on the veg lights caused some internal conflict. HLG 65V2 looks like a good fit for a 2x1 veg space, although I don’t like the fact that the light is just a 9" square effectively, sitting in the middle of where my propagation trays would go. I opted instead to just design my own light panels, similar to the HLG 65 but smaller footprint so I can connect them and have total coverage of the ~9" x 22" with a total footprint of 9.5" x 19" - easily clearing my tent poles while jamming 384 diodes above each veg tray.

I’m having those built right now, using inexpensive 6000K LEDs. I’ve got extra boards coming I can populate with LM301 if I’d like as well. I’ll probably make a dedicated post about these lights when they arrive and why I chose to do it this way (there are more reasons that may not meet the eye initially). Will be using Bridgelux 96W driver with full linear dimming and 12V aux supply, which I will connectorize and use for small fans in the veg section. Does any of that make sense? Probably not. I realized I had read enough about lights I just wanted to do some experimenting, so I’m spending more money than any sane person just to design aluminum PCBs and play with LEDs. This could have easily been accomplished with some LED strips, but that’s boring to me. I discovered at least one thing already from this endeavor that was worth knowing: it costs as much to ship these from China as it did to fabricate/build me 6 full copies and 4 blank boards for trying other LEDs.

They’re due to arrive next week, shipped yesterday.

Ventilation:
Opted to go with AC Infinity Pro 4" setup with filter It’s due to arrive today. That’ll go in the flower chamber above the light, standard sort of configuration. Here’s the catch, of course. It seems Vivosun expects folks to have access to the rear wall for the inlet. There’s 3 vents on top, two vents in the back of the veg section, 2 in the back of the flower section and one, thankfully, on the left upper wall.

Unfortunately…the back of the tent is flush with the back wall of the closet. There’s less than 1/4" of gap there. So all those back vents are useless to me. I can use the left upper duct port or any of the roof ports.

I’ll be exhausting to a roof vent on the house. There’s an old vent 15’ away in the attic from where there used to be a bathroom. When we remodeled things in that area moved a lot and now it’s available.

I’ll note that I would like to filter the intake air because it’s dusty AF out here. So I’m thinking of these solutions with the idea already in my head of “where can I fit a 10x20 furnace filter on my inlet” somehow. The exhaust from the tent must be carbon filtered. Even the veg plants have smelled like weed in prior years and I’m really trying to minimize that for my wife who is sensitive to the smell.

There’s two fundamental ways I can see to go here.

1. The easy way, perhaps the best way, is to intake at the top of veg-side partition. Exhaust through roof of flower side. I could easily have the filter box sitting on top of the tent and get cool air flowing top-down on the veg side, and I’d cut a vent and make a light trap to seperate the two sides.
Pros Cons
Single light trap Preheating/humidifying flower intake air
Passive circulation veg side Requires quite a bit of airflow through veg section
  1. The more difficult way would be to build a low-profile duct (or just run a duct hose to the bottom of the tent) that could also serve as my inlet filter to direct air from the upper flower hole down to the base of the flower compartment. The veg section would be ventilated into the flower area with a light trap on the bottom (veg air inlet) and an exhaust fan/light trap on the top to suck a smaller portion of air through the veg-side. I like this but it’s somewhat complicated and may be excessive.

Pros Cons
Independent veg airflow Complexity

Now, I’ve never been the type of person to shy away from complexity. Rather the opposite I’d say. If I can see an adequate reason, I seem to enjoy adding complexity. Part of the project. So I’m leaning towards option two, and building some light traps with circulation fans.

Which way should I do it? Inlet into flower compartment and subdivide some airflow through the veg section? Inlet into flower compartment through veg section? This

30 Likes

Nice gear and a good plan! I’ll be interested in seeing how this plays out.

Your startup test run to grow some plants in preparation to transplant them outside in the Spring is a great way to get this setup dialed in.

I only have one suggestion for you to consider in your design. Because space is limited, you might want to move the fan & filter outside of the tent. Just use a length of 4" tubing from the opening in the tent to the externally mounted fan? That will free up a ton of head space that you will likely be glad for later on.

From the pics, it looks like that flap on the left hand (flower side) of the tent is an opening flap. On one of my tents I just taped the flap open and used that as an air intake. You can make a simple light trap outside the tent if needed.

Best of luck @FieldEffect,
-Grouchy
PS, I bet you’re gonna love that XS1500 Pro light!

10 Likes

Thanks for the input! I have also considered just cutting a hole in the tent wall over there on the bottom, I’m not going to ever open it beyond what I show in my pictures.

When the fan and filter arrive today I’ll see how everything fits but absolutely having it sit outside the tent is an option. I usually prefer the real fitment checks to holding a tape measure around. How would I move the carbon filter outside of the tent? Build a box for it?

Having the fan outside the tent is an easy thing to do but the carbon filter is a little more involved. I could be missing something totally obvious, am I? I guess if I’m just venting to ambient I’d just place the filter on another length of duct to terminate it. I’m trying to duct all the exhaust to a cutout in the roof of the closet where it’ll go out a permanent exterior roof vent.

12 Likes

Heck yeah, just cut a small piece of plywood to set atop your tent as a platform and put the fan and filter on top then vent to your external roof vent. That’ll increase your headroom in the tent by about a foot. Priceless! :crazy_face:

8 Likes

This is gonna be good!

Getting the fan/filter outside is golden in a small space, but the filter has to be on one end of the duct… and you probably can’t plop it on top of your roof :joy:. I’m sure you could rig up something inline.

Have you made a seed selection?

3 Likes

would expect nothing less :grin:

HEPA intake filters exist.

option one :+1:

not sure that’s a con. you may need it.

chunky bushes ahoy

like a kid on xmas.

P.S. you get your black friday CSI order in?

6 Likes

@NoCal Seed selection…touchy subject :rofl:

I’ve got some AK Bean Brains 907 Blue Genes crosses I made this summer outside. NL#1 (also AKBB) from @Klyphman and Shiskaberry from @SHSC-1.

I was thinking I could pop/clone several, say 9 of them, maybe 16 of them, and flower them from SOG-style. There’s literally 20 other cultivars I would love to run in a similar style, the objective being to find a great mother plant for outdoor next season. I’m lowest on supply of heavy-indica nighttime sleepy herb, not to mention that should be easiest to manage for the first tent run.

Yeah you know me already :wink:

I looked at these and thought they just seemed ridiculously expensive for what they are and that I could do better building my own. But we already know how that goes.

That’s exactly right…

CSI? No, been obsessing about fans and such. Popping over there now :sunglasses:

7 Likes

Make your life easy & grow low-stretch plants is about all I can add… :wink:

:evergreen_tree:

6 Likes

To put the filter outside the tent would mean fan blowing into the filter. It is not as efficient but can work. Probably just mount the filter in the attic if you wanted to do it like that and let it just vent up there. Depends on how your attic is vented whether I would consider it or not. Temperatures and humidity are considerations, some mold risk under the right conditions, likely minimal though.

I guess one consideration here is do you intend for the rH to vary between these sections or will it be the same in your veg and flower spaces?

3 Likes

@Herbie I have really low ambient RH around here.

I think inside the office it stays between 65-75F year round and average RH 10-30%. Maybe we see 60-70% occasionally during monsoon season rainstorms.

I didn’t want to dessicate the vegging plants blasting air into them at whatever rate the full exhaust is running. While I’m not going to really do much control of the temperature/humidity other than through the exhaust fan and the Controller 69, I did kinda like the idea of having slower air exchange on the veg side so the humidity can be just a little higher than the flower section. I don’t intend to add humidification in a space this size. I will use domes when rooting but I’m really just intending this to grow some plants out (I’m unconcerned with production volume), but do want to find (and keep) some keepers by flowering several at once.

If I mount the filter outside the tent I would have it in the negative pressure side of the fan via a box or something like I depicted just to respect my wife’s nose. I think that’ll preserve it’s performance best and minimize the impact of leaks.

@Ris thanks for the hookup on the AC Infinity stuff! It just showed up earlier but been dealing with some other errands. Can’t wait to crack into those boxes :sunglasses:

7 Likes

All the best with your indoor adventures mate

3 Likes

I would. If you have an attic and you’re going to vent to it and you have easy access to it, I would build my own box to house the filter and keep it in the attic. AC Infinity has filter boxes, but they come with panel filters. I would want to keep my filter sock, but that’s just personal preference.

Regarding humidity, we can barely keep our humidity at 30% during the cold winter months, even with a home humidifier. I’ve never had an issue with that and our plants. You will just water more often.

I can tell you’re excited :wink:

3 Likes

We’ll see what this stuff all actually looks like and I’ll come up with a plan tomorrow :sunglasses:

Hell yeah I’m excited!

4 Likes

Happy to be a part of it. Im getting settled in for the show.

I use the AC filter box for my 4x4 and its crazy how much it can stop from getting into the tent

4 Likes

Hey Ris, is it the multi paneled box? How often do you have to change the intake filter? Can it be vacuumed off?

4 Likes

I found I had more floor room than head room, so I stood my filter up on the floor of the tent.

might be something to consider for you. The hum is audibly louder tho, not hanging the fan, but I didn’t like the idea of blowing through the filter outside the tent (positioned outside the tent was even louder)

This way I can bring the intake through the warm lights up top in winter months, and just switch the ducting a lil to reverse it during summer

3 Likes

@breadwinner I like it.

For clarity, this is the sort of thing I’d place my odor control filter in: https://www.containerstore.com/s/office/paper-storage/iris-black-weathertight-file-box/12d?productId=11010474&theme=airtight%20storage&pos=70

I’d basically use spray foam to seal some flex tubing through both sides, install the filter in it and then it just sits on top of the tent next to the fan. I’ll get a much better idea later this morning when I get the actual fan and filter sitting on my bench and see what the options are.

Here’s an alternative inlet filter configuration I mentally toyed with this morning:

Since I am open to the possibility of placing a new inlet hole lower in the tent I could just do an 8" flange bonded to the tent with the same filter element duct taped to the male portion of the adapter.

I think I may wind up doing an ebb flow table but I’ll do that after I’ve grown something in it, maybe next summer. For starters, smaller number of plants I’ll hand-irrigate and I’ll work my way up to more ambitious setups. I’ve been looking at options for tables and reservoirs that would work well in the space. But that would be ideal for SOG pheno-hunting.

For now, I just want to get running and consider large upgrades at a later date. We’ll get the ventilation squared away over the next week and I should be popping seeds in a week or two. I’m in no particular hurry, I enjoy thinking about how to implement things.

9 Likes

We’re making some progress. Mounted the fan on the wall, keep it secure and vibration-free.

Waiting on the power strips to show up I’ll run all the cabling out of the unused vent ports. Get everything cleaned up and ready to run next week when I get the veg lights installed.

Filter installed inside for now, zip-tied to the roof racks. It does take a shitload of space. I don’t know how people get the fan and filter in a 2x2. Maybe these are big, I have no idea. It’s definitely going external to the tent in the near future, that’s priority #2 to getting the ventilation configuration finished up.

I like the propagation tray and humidity domes.

Pretty impressed with the AC Infinity stuff overall. Nice package engineering for the exhaust kit and well-written manuals that I’ll actually find useful and read.

Later today or worst case next weekend I’ll get the exhaust ducting to the roof vent and intake filter sorted out. Tidy up wiring and tape off unused ports.

Should I get root riots will they fit in the propagation tray? I guess I don’t really need to wait on anything to get going :rofl:

Feeling like shit today with a cold so I feel dumber and slower than usual. It’s actually quite a bit of fiddling around to get one of these tents going.

18 Likes

I had the same problem with the inside top of my tent…but for every problem there is a solution……put the carbon filter and exhaust fan outside the tent and put a lil bit of the duct in the top or side port using a short connection bracket to keep it secured or the old standby duct tape……lol see where I went with that

1 Like

Ready for takeoff! :rocket:

1 Like