First grow after a 40 yr break, 1 plant, DWC, LED 450W

Great link! :+1:

Cheers
G

2 Likes

She is busting out all over. I counted at least 2 dozen cola sites just on the top canopy. Pistils everywhere, even deep down in the bush. Got 2 circulating fans blowing on opposite sides of her.

One nuance I am trying is that zKittelz is known to get very colorful sometimes. So starting 3 nights ago I let the temp drop about 20 degrees at night. She has not objected yet. That is supposed to encourage colors if I have read correctly.

Staying the course…

6 Likes

5 Likes

Great job, I hope all is well! :green_heart::seedling:

2 Likes

Going well. I have had my share of fumbles, but she is still alive and if I dont kill her I should have a harvest in a few weeks.

The buds are fattening up but not getting much height, in fact I never saw a stretch which is disappointing because I was counting on it. I have a short dense bush with lots of cola sites but I am worried about the density. I suspect the density and lack of height is because I over did the lighting the 1st 4 weeks, she didnt have to reach much, and that may have set her metabolism. Afraid a bunch of this will end up Larf. I have 2 oscillating fans blowing on it from opposite sides to keep the middle aired out.

Lowered temp to 77, Rh to 50%, DLI to 40, VPD at 1.2. Trying to keep things nice and dry in there.

LOL, my first harvest in years! I dont care if it is all Larf, Popcorn, or proper bud I am harvesting it all.

Please remember, the last time I indulged they still called a bag of weed a “Lid”, and Lids were measured by the finger, a 4 finger lid was good, a 3 finger lid kind of stingy. Just before I quit I saw actual weight starting to be used for the higher end smoke. So I have some catching up to do.

Heck, I am still trying to wrap my head around all the hybrids. Strains I was exposed to back then were primarily geographic strains. The candy/cereal/fruit/cookie names that are so prolific now are unfamiliar to me. I know what to expect from Colombian Gold, but I have no clue what “Air Guitar” should smoke like. Its a new world, and not always a better one. Same thing is happening in the coffee world. Beans used to be marketed by geographic identities, now they are doing catchy names like Morning Thunder. I love a good Ethiopian, but I dont have a clue what Morning Thunder should taste like.

What follows is some random silly questions that I hope someone can shed some light on.

• Is there an inexpensive way to measure “water activity”?
  • Roughly how much bud will fit in a loose packed qt mason jar?
  • How long does it take to trim and jar an avg size indoor plant?
  • Should mechanically extracted trichomes be cured before further processing?
  • What kind of moisture level should I shoot for in raw kief destined for the freezer?
  • Would freeze drying (home freezer reaches -20F) before sealing the raw kief have any benefit?
  • I own a Nitrogen tank. How can I leverage it into my grow? Maybe nitro-purged jars after the cure?
  • Would I still use a Bovieda pack if I nitro purge after curing?
  • I own a CO2 tank, make my own sodas. I know I cant do CO2 in a tent, too many leaks. Is there anything else I can do with CO2?
  • Has anyone used a AeroGarden for germination? We have one. Is it worth digging it out?
  • I used clay pebbles for my DWC, Is there a better media, those dang things like to escape the pot and 1 fell into the bucket, unknown to me, it then got caught in the drain pipe and caused a little tent flood.
  • What is a good trimming shear? I see so many on Amazon, and they seem to be cheap give-away items. What is a good brand that will last me?

I had to do a res change Sunday. I am already planning my next grow which will be two buckets in the 3x3 tent. This means I will need a bigger res and I decided to do it now.

I repurposed an old Igloo cooler that I used to use as a cigar humidor. Quit the stogies about 10 years ago and still had this laying around so why not.

For just one bucket the level is currently low in the sump but when I add a 2nd bucket the extra size will be handy. Also, my aquarium background taught me that larger bodies of water are easier to maintain than smaller ones, the changes occur more slowly.

The markings are inches, 1 inch equals roughly 2 gallons in this Igloo cooler.

One thing I learned from this was how much cooling effect I was getting in the old uninsulated Rubbermaid tote. Ambient is about 40 in the garage and I never had a problem with temps getting too high. Within 1 day of moving to the Igloo cooler my temps starting rising above 68. I had to open the small access door and let a fan blow in there to keep it right. The thing is insulated well! The controller has 2 outputs, one for the heater and another for the fan, so as long as I leave the small lid open the temp stays dead on 68. Gives me hope I might be able to use this Res in warmer weather. A future upgrade might be to install a 4" muffin fan in the lid.

1 Like

LoL, Mr Wiz, that brought back a whole flood of memories, some I’d rather forget!

I’ll pick off one of your questions: I think most of us only fill a 32oz Mason Jar about 75% full and we (I at least) count that as about an ounce. More generous, and more honest than the “Four Finger Lid.”

I’m also going to suggest that you set aside some of your first harvest to explore Green Dragon Tincture! I have come to really treasure the subtle pleasures of activated full spectrum cannabis tincture and, if you haven’t already indulged, it’s worth checking out.

OG is fortunate to host an epic compendium of Tincture Wisdom compiled by @ReikoX and found here:

If you haven’t already, take the time to study up on the Drying/Curing process. It can make all the difference.

And, really, Welcome Back to Growing!!! Pretty much everything has changed since the old days, but mostly in a good way. You are on a righteous journey and OG is a great place to learn & share.

Bienvenidos,
-Grouchy

:v: :green_heart:

3 Likes

Holy Cow Batman!

That thread had answers to a bunch of questions I didnt even know I had.

I have bookmarked it as a reference thread.

I have played with D8 tinctures. I got a lot more out of it by vaping it than I did by ingesting it. Ingesting was a wild card, sometimes I felt a little something, sometimes hours later I got ripped. My only beef was it wasnt predictable.

Now “live” resin tinctures might be a different story.

LOL, I just bought tumbler to encourage those nasty trhicomes to depart their leafy home.

1 Like

Damn, damn, damn, I should know better. Another lesson re-learned!

I have been struggling with a calcium deficiency for a week now, a bad one.
Checked the nutes, they were in range.
Checked the pH, always surfing 5.2-6.5
Looks like calcium is available at pH of 6.2 so I thought the pH was fine.
Made some adjustments here and there but nothing helped.

Low and behold my pH pen was reading 0.6pH high. So when I never let it get above 6.5 I was really only letting it get to 5.9, hence calcium never became available. I could kick myself as the last I calibrated it was 2 months ago. From now on I will put it in some cal solution at every weekly Res change. I didnt have any TDS standard so I bought that today. Also picked out a new continuous pH/TDS monitor. It will save me having to do all of those manual measurements every time I tweak the chemistry. For $73 it is worth not having to bend over so much.

Here is what she looked like yesterday:

Anyway, I fixed the pH last night and overnight she perked back up nice and is again reaching for the moon. I thought she was a gonner but … Underneath the canopy surface the leaves are nice and green. The flowers have not died, not growing much but still alive. My hand gets stinky, and a little sticky, with that good Sens smell when I move the branches around. The calyxes have just started forming. I sniped a small bud and stuck it in my pipe, I felt it, nowhere near ready yet, but I felt it enough to know that I am not wasting my time.

So, steady as she goes…

Starting my next hydro build now. Going to do 2 buckets in the next grow.

7 Likes

I am totally digging your grow Mr. Wiz!

You did a bunch of homework before even starting. You carefully selected your grow room components. You had all the tools and ingredients at hand when you started…

And you raised a big cannabis plant all the way from seed to buds. That’s damned good for a “FGAaFYB” grow!

In my experience that is actually quite rare, so let me formally welcome you to our shared Passion! :+1: :+1: :clap: :clap: :v: :green_heart:
(That’s like 2-Thumbs, Applause, Peace & CannaHearts) LoL.

I predict that you are gonna have a lot of fun with your new “Hobby” (obsession). I’d also bet your next few runs are going to be a pleasant surprise. Very Well Done.

-Grouchy
PS, I hope you are blessed with a Saintly Spouse who finds your new fascination “harmless,” rather than threatening. :smile:

3 Likes

The jury is still out, the garage hasnt gotten stinky yet…
That will cause me to get a carbon filter eventually. I love the smell, but the Mrs is a different story.

3 Likes

Appreciate the compliment, I do throw myself into my hobbies, a little embarrassed though as I thought I would do better. And I will, next grow…

I plan on trying your Training protocol next grow. 2 plants, that way if they are midgets again I at least have double the stash.

1 Like

@repins12 and myself us an aerogarden for germinating seeds for our systems

2 Likes

Hey @MrWizard I’ve been following your grow and I think that it’s awesome that after a big break on growing and how much it has changed throughout the years and I am currently on my second grow ever and I consider it a great thing to be able to get to harvest any flower and I look forward to watching the progress of your beauty! Here’s my current grow and I have been I’m flower for 23 days and I forgot to mention that I’m using a Phototron so @PhilCuisine has been graciously helping me out with the tips and tricks of growing in a phototron but here’s a picture of my grow

…and u have nothing to be embarrassed about it looks great

9 Likes

@MrWizard Sorry to hear about the ph pen issue. You’re confidence has grown with this run, I think you’re next round will be superb sir. Had you 0 experience before this, the lovely lady would be lucky to be alive! It’s not easy getting this far with hydo, it’s not very forgiving. The last two weeks is when she really bulks up. There are proper times to finish based off the trichomes. Yours are probably mostly clear still. The high is probably mild and heady. Keep up the updates, you’re helping the community learn! :green_heart::seedling:

PS I think you’ll be happy with her in the end! If she’s not potent enough. Turn her into hash, problem solved! :man_health_worker:

3 Likes

Here is how she looks today. I think she will pull through. Yield will suffer but at least I will have one.

6 Likes

Sorry that you’re having issues but she definitely looks good to me and I hope that she finishes up strong and I’ll be pulling up a chair for the remainder of this,…except for when I am hanging out with my girl…LoL and I’m glad that you decided to get back into growing which is quickly becoming more of a hobby with career potential for myself…I really enjoy growing and following grows of the OG community. Can’t wait to see her done and how long has she been in flower for

2 Likes

Keep her going! I would like to say she has had one fine training job. Nice and bushy. I can barely count all the bud sites! If you have yet to remove any bigger fan leaves, that could help with the yield. I typically like to tuck and not remove so much. The lower 1/3 of each branch could be slowly removed over the next couple weeks as well. Just a couple options. Have you inspected for unwanted pests under/on the leaves? She is definitely getting frosty from what I can see. I would get my loop or magnifying lens out here soon enough!

1 Like

I suspect she has at least 10 days to go. Maybe 10% of the pistols have turned gold, trichomes are mostly clear with some cloudy, Main thing is ---- she is alive!

2 Likes

So I took her out of the tent last night and trimmed her a bit. Made sure there was airflow underneath.
Was able to get a good close look at her:

She looked much better than I thought. Buds are fattening up a bit. Trichomes are plentiful but mostly clear, pistols starting to turn, all in all I think I will get a bit of decent stash.

Buttoned her back up:

4 Likes

Well… I knew the day would come, and that day was today!

Looks like I need to go get a carbon filter tomorrow if I want to keep harmony in the homestead.

LOL, at least she is encouraging me to go to the Hydro store and spend money! Hmmm, what else do I need?

3 Likes