First grow after a 40 yr break, 1 plant, DWC, LED 450W

LOL, gonna have to start over on this one.

I popped some seeds in an AeroGarden the day I chopped this plant. The seeds popped easy and have grown the first set of true leaves.

Only problem is I checked them out last night and the roots of all 6 plants have tangled together to the point they cant possibly be transplanted without tearing roots. Since these are auto seeds I am trying not to lose any unnecessary time/growth by avoiding making the plant “recover”. Tearing the roots wouldnt be a great start. I have decided to start over and soak some more seeds tonight. Scratch the AeroGarden for germination!

5 Likes

I am on day 10 of drying and I think they will be ready to jar today. Last night the stems were snapping nice but still left one fiber unbroken, they “almost” snapped clean…

During the 10 days I was able to maintain 60F +/- 2F and 58% humidity +/- 2% for all but 2 days. Had a warm spell and the garage got up to 70F on 2 days. The only option I have to cool the ambient space is a window AC unit in the garage and I chose not to use the electricity.

While I can smell terps there is still some lawnmower essence to the buds as well. I am hoping the cure will resolve that. I plan on doing jars and auto-burping them with an aquarium air pump and timer. I will put a SmartPush humidity sensor in 2 of the jars to monitor humidity swings. As the swings get smaller in amplitude I will reduce the frequency of the burps until it stabilizes at 63%. Then Bovieda pack and seal.

You can see the blue lines held pretty good except for when the weather got unseasonably warm.

Not saying this is the right way, but it seems to be working so far. Anyone see anything I am missing?

3 Likes

I would think once you jar them and a couple burps under there belt the your grass clipping smell will be replaced with the proper smells your looking for.

Better to be on the damp side vs over dry when you start the cure .

1 Like

Well, I think I let them dry 1 day too long. I took all the buds out today and brush them with a silicone bbq brush to make the buds prettier. With the right touch it knocks off the dried leaves without damaging the flower. I got 3.25 oz of manicured bud.I changed my mind about auto-burpoing jars and decided to try the Grove bags, my local shop has them.

I filled 2 bags and put a SmartPush sensore in each. After about 2 hours the humidity dropped to around 58%. A little too low for comfort so I dumped some grapefruit peel in the bags. Will let it settle overnight and see what happens.

I saved a bit of dry but uncured larf to roll one up. It didnt taste bad, but not great either. Hints of terps and a very mild grass note. It wasnt smooth, but also not harsh. A very slow but heavy hitting buzz.

All in all I did ok. Learned a ton, and started to get my intuition back,

I am in the process of doing some upgrades to the tent and plumbing. Next grow will be two plants. I will open a new thread for it.

Next installment on this thread will be dry tumbling the frozen trim.

3 Likes

Excellent for uncured larf!
With a good cure the grass note will disappear and it will smooth out so much that you will think it wasn’t lit… :+1:

Cheers
G

2 Likes

So when I was doing the final manicure they seemed a bit too dry.

I put them in 2 Grove bags, intentionally mixing small and large buds in each bag to promote equalization.

Sealed the bags and checked 2 hours later. The humidity in the bags was around 58%. Too low for comfort on the first day of a cure so I peeled a Grapefruit and split the peels between the 2 bags. Let it sit over night at about 50F and this morning the humidity was up around 70%. The buds felt slightly moist and spongy and sticky. So I removed the peels and left the bags open until the humidity dropped to about 67%. I then zipped the bags back up. The humidity has now settled at 68%. I am going to leave the bags sealed and watch them. I suspect that permeability of the Grove bags will allow excess moisture to escape and then maintain the humidity level between 58% and 63%. At least that is the hype, my SmartPush sensors will tell me if the hype is valid.

The reason I felt it important to get the humidity back up in the 60s is that I have read anecdotal reports from people who say if the water activity gets too low it will halt the microbial process that enables the cure, and that the microbial activity can NOT be restarted if allowed to get too dry. Now, I have not seen any "published and peer reviewed " studies to back this up, but it does feel intuitive. I long for a proper study that can confirm/debunk this phenomena, and identify exact humidity ranges to maintain viable water activity in cannabis to enable the cure.

I am thinking that maybe I need to get a moisture meter for my next grow. If I understand correctly, if you cure the buds when they reach 11% water content then you are golden. I really like the idea of a meter vs me guessing by feel. After I “touch” 11% moisture then I can develop the “feel memory”. In the meantime, I like cold hard numbers. My career was largely in Industrial Instrumentation and Control, I lived by the numbers, of course calibration/validation of the sensors is also crucial.

1. Initial fill of bags
  2. Introduction of citrus peel
  3. Removal of citrus peel and resealing the bag

Now I wait…

ETA:
Looks like it worked. Both bags are stable at 67%(ish) for the last 8 hours. I am hoping it will start decreasing shortly as moisture permeates the bag membrane.

2 Likes

Wow! 180 micron Kief tumbler was failure. I froze the sugar trim and larf after drying. Left it frozen for a week. Froze the tumbler and dumped 38g of trim in and ran it about 10RPM for an hour. Didnt even get enough to bother weighing it. Less than 1g for sure.

Put the tumbler back in the freezer and am going to try dry ice next.

Not sure what the issue is. There is enough larf in there that I felt sure I should get a decent yield. Wondering if the material is dry enough to start with. Wondering if it maybe picked up too much moisture in the freezer. Wondering if maybe there just wasnt much to harvest, I will look at the contents under a microscope to if I still see a lot of triches in the mix.

@JoeCrowe I know bags are your thing, but any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong?

1 Like

I would check on the trichomes on a single bud, then also, once you have run it in the tumbler, look at the trichomes again. You can estimate your harvest percentage on that. When I check the bubble waste under the microscope after I’ve made hash, there are 0 trichomes left on the bud. So I know I am getting near 100% recovery. That means, the next problem in the process is the number of trichomes per bud. If that count starts at 10, you will never get a good hash harvest. If you can easily count 80-100 then you should get a good hash harvest.

5 Likes

OK, my first attempt at a concentrate was a disaster. I think the problem may have been that material wasnt dry enough before I tumbled it. I added dry ice which got more kief, but then it froze up and ice started forming ice/frost making everything even wetter.So, I wound up with a couple grams of kief and I put in about 40ml of pure ethanol. Filtered it then stuck it in the freezer for 4 days, then filtered it again, (winterize). Then I evaporated the alcohol. What I was left with was a film on the pie plate that I had to scrape off with a razor. I wound up with a marble size ball of resin. Nothing that resembled anything I could use in a vape cartridge. So I stuck the marble in a pipe and worked on it all night…

Will need to wait till I have more trim to play with. Thinking the oil may be more trouble than its worth. The exact same kief made a fantastic shoe hash. So maybe good ole fashioned hash is where I need to focus.

OK, the girl has been curing for 30 days. Would like to go longer but alas I am out of weed.

I opened the grove bag and pulled out a few buds. Humidity was 64%, a wee bit too moist, will target 63% next time. The grove bags held the humidity stable for the length of the cure.

I am not much of smoke report guy, plus this plant wasnt good enough to rain praise on it. Nonetheless here is a stab at it.

Strain: Zkittlez Auto
Climate: Coastal Virginia
Popped: Dec 15th 2021
Chopped: Feb 15th 2022
Cured: 30 days
Yield: 3 oz cured

The bud smells good, spicy, citrus, and pine. Just a hint of hay.
Texture is good, but a tick too moist.
Bud broke up nice, somewhat sticky and fluffy.
Taste is citrus, pine, and a background chlorophyll note.
The chlorophyll makes it a tick harsh in the finish but no cough.
Burned well, smoked well.
The buzz is where this shines. 3 normal bong tokes and I was blitzed. Next day, 1 bong hit and I had a comfortable yet functional high. Its a creeper, takes a few minutes, then BAMMM! Heavy body buzz, super glued to chair, with a big smile. I intentionally went to 30% amber as I wanted something I could use to replace Ambien.

Mission accomplished, I am now smoking my own weed, and am on a path to become fully self-sustainable by year end.

Thanks go out to all who helped along the way, especially @OGSince03 and @GrouchyOldMan !

The journey begins…

10 Likes

Great smoke report!
:+1: :sunglasses:

Cheers
G

2 Likes

:clap: :clap: :clap: Getting enough of it “Right” on your first grow is a legitimate accomplishment @MrWizard. And if you produced some bud that makes you say “Blitzed” then you’ve earned your stripes. Bravo.

On the other hand, that potent bud of yours needs to find it’s way into a proper Green Dragon tincture! Failure is not an option! So have another go at that please. DM me if you’d like some personal guidance… :black_joker::laughing:

4 Likes

OK, down to my last 2 buds (7g ea) of this grow. The smoke improved as it aged, and got pretty tasty in the end.

It was soooo good to smoke my own weed again, and to scratch the green thumb itch.

And the journey resumes…

9 Likes

This is truly awesome man I love your scientific approach.

2 Likes

Decided to close this thread properly.

(Also includes ramblings of an ol’ fart, feel free to disregard, or even better, feel free to add your thoughts.)

A big THANK YOU to all who encouraged, and/or lurked!

It has now been 165 days since I popped my first seeds in 40 years.

I am getting ready to smoke the last bowl of this harvest! What a wonderful journey its been!

It was so rewarding to grow my own again, and I so enjoy figuring out the cause/effect relationships.

I grew it in DWC hydro because that’s what I know best. This single zKittlez Auto was subjected to “some” LST. It yielded 3.25 oz of cured smoke. The cure was in Grove Bags and they worked well. I ran out of store bought weed about 3 weeks into the cure so I had to start dipping into it. The 3 week old cure was a tick harsh, but not bad. I pulled about ¼ every week out of the Grove Bag for headstash. The flavor improved each week. After about 2 months all traces of the harshness was gone and the smoke was smooth and tasty. In fact, I could swear the high got better as time went along as well.

In the meantime I grew 4 more plants (legal limit) in 3gal fabric pots inside the tent. Same strain, NO LST. The yield from all 4 plants was 4.25ozs. Soil in 3 gal pots, and no LST, was disappointing. Good smoke but tiny plants.

I now have another 4 Double Grape Autos at about 2 weeks old in 5g fabric pots outside. We will see how they do.

I see myself definitely going back to hydro. Some aspects of soil are easier, and outdoors is killer if you have good weather. My coastal weather is far from optimal. Often torrential rain, brutal winds , rH ranging from 35-90 throughout the day, bugs and microbes, deer, and even thieves are all present out there.

My motivators are that I have little to no control over nature. Where hydro in a tent I can control, if I screw it up it is almost assuredly my own fault. It takes a tremendous amount of “chance” out of the equation that mother nature introduces. It really is not that hard to keep a hydro grow in the sweet spot. And, for me, most of the objective when growing is simply to “keep it in the sweet spot” (where nature is a wildcard). I feel I have far less hazards in the tent.

The 4 DGAs growing right now will probably be the last outdoors for a while. My plans for next year are to only grow between September and April every year (& in the tent), and take the summer off. I don’t have AC in the garage so tent growing during the summer is not practical (temps exceeding 90f and cant get the humidity high enough to satisfy VPD at that temp). I figure if I can grow 3 indoor harvests of 2 plants each, I should have enough to keep my headstash perpetually stocked.

Now on to other ramblings.

Along the way I started playing with things over the last 165 days here are some observations:

Grove Bags: They work! But they are not miracle bags. What I found is that if I place flower that is between 60-66% rH in a Grove Bags it will maintain the humidity in the sweet spot and cure well without burping. I took readings on 6 different cure with a high accuracy wifi monitor and the bags held beautifully. I have personally been trimming and jarring my bud at about 67-68%. I then burp it for a day or two until I get to the 60-65% range and transfer to the bags and forget them.

Using a Wood Moisture meter was suggested by Grove to pull the plants at 11% moisture. I was not successful getting a good reading off the meter, the readings were all over the place. So I started just picking a big bud, put in a small jar with a hygrometer, wait an hour to stabilize. If the rH settles in the 60s% range then I pull and trim the plant, and bag it.

Extractions:

Kief: Acquired a rotary drum to dry sift kief. My first attempt was a disaster. Tried dry ice in with it. Used too much or something and everything got frozen to the sides of the drum and then went soggy. Got some kief after messing with it but it was very heavily contaminated with plant matter. Been reading up on it, and will try again soon.

HASH: Use the dry sift kief to make hash. Made a couple grams. Tried different techniques, all were great smoke. In fact this is probably my favorite extract to date. Its simple, kinda old school, tastes great, works well in the head, and yields are reasonable. In fact, I predict that I will probably play with the extract methods below for a while, but I suspect I will return to hash.

ISO and Ethanol: Acquired 99.8% ISO and 200 proof Ethanol. Also a Buchner Filter. Been playing with both on doing extractions. Preferring ISO quick washes so far. Ethanol if it will be edible. Trying to figure out how to extract all the goody in my squish chips, I know there is a bunch still in them as my yield is piss poor when squishing. I have a pseudo Lab Freezer that gets to -10f and tried to do a winterization and totally failed. I have a lot to learn in this realm.

I have chosen not to use any other solvents, or any processes that involve heat above 100f or above atmospheric pressure, for safety reasons. It just isn’t worth introducing the inherent risk to me, I can get plenty high without pushing the envelope or buying a bunch of PPE.

Rosin: Acquired a 2 ton manual press. Been playing with different methods trying to get a good squish. Currently pre-pressing 2g of flower in a round pollen press to form a puck, then slowly applying pressure over a minute, then kicking it up to 2 tons, at 210f for 2-3 minutes. Have tried other methods including BottleTek, but it seems I lose a lot of rosin in the weave of those mesh bags. Anyway, I have not given up yet. Currently I am getting a 5-10% yield at best, it seems like a waste unless you have an overabundance of weed.

DABing: With all of the above toys to play with, I finally tried a DAB. Interesting indeed. A major US Ecig company is branching out to the canna scene and has sent me an electronic DAB device to test. I fell in love with the whole concept (don’t care for nails or those honey bowls, too much hassle with high heat while I am stoned, I know me, clumsy). I just need an abundance of weed as that is the price of admission when you don’t squish worth a damn.

Green Goddess: With having oils and extracts available I tried some green goddess. @GrouchyOldMan gave me some great instructions. Very easy to make. I just am not an edibles type guy. It is not a predictable experience for me. The same amount of the same bottle of tincture can barely affect me one day, and yet blitz me stupid the next. So I really didn’t embrace the stuff. I have a bottle that I keep for when I overdo the yard-work and wake up sore as hell, don’t use it much beyond that.

Edibles: See above, ingestion just isn’t my thing. Tried some gummies and whatnot. Prefer to smoke my drugs, it is more predictable to me.

Water Curing: My latest experiment is water curing flower. I put 8g of flower in a jar, covered with dist water, change water every day until clear. My motivation is two fold. Right now I am out of cured weed #1, and I have situations where a stealthy aroma would be beneficial #2. It is my understanding that the water cure will make the smoke very smooth, but also removes the terps and their flavors. The smell is supposed to be dramatically reduced as well. Anyway, I thought it was worth a try. I am on day 2 right now. Flavorless weed is not my preferred smoke, however I need to see which is more desirable, smooth water cure with no flavor or a 2 week dry cure, as I am now out of cured weed.

Future: I really want to experiment with creating a vape cartridge. I vape nicotine and am not personally adverse to VG or PG. I figure I will use kief as the biomass, extract it with ISO, and then figure out how to winterize the lipds out of it.

I want to thank everyone here for BEING HERE! I have been on a lot of forums in my day, and I even admin a few, but the maturity level, focus, comradery, and neighborly spirit of OG has made me feel like I found a home!

This last bowl is hereby dedicated to the entirety of OG!

The Journey continues…………

Double Grape Autos at 10 days from pop, just before being placed outdoors.

Thanks @GCBudz

14 Likes

Well done my friend! :clap: :clap: :clap:

You earned your stripes on the first Go and made a nice contribution to OG telling your story for us to learn and enjoy.

This journey never ends and it just keeps getting better and better!

-Grouchy
PS if you are gearing up for Hydro, perhaps take a gander at what folks are doing with those Micro Octopots?

4 Likes

I agree on the octopot pretty relaxed grow with them.
Your gonna like the double grape had a buddy come over smoked one with him he ended up going home with the whole jar he thought it was that good .

3 Likes

Made it in time for round 2?

Subbed up, welcome back to growing
It’s always hectic first run so amazing results really.

It’s gonna get so much better though

1 Like

The journey continues…

1 Like

I’ll tackle this one because it’s in my lane as a cook/maintenance guy:

Everyone loves Fiskars, and they’re easy to find:

Some people prefer Chikamasa:

http://www.chikamasa.com/

Or there’s Felco for the USA-made lasts forever option:

I’m getting myself those Felcos and these long boys here soon, but the two Fiskars above have been more than adequate and will last forever.

That’s all for leaves and petiole stems, for the trunks I use a Japanese pruning saw to cut plants down and a pair of dog nail clippers or chicken shears for limbing branches after the plant dries whole:

IMG_2904

1 Like