First grow after a 40 yr break, 1 plant, DWC, LED 450W

I took your advice and mixed 4 gallons of 5.8ph/300ppm to which I added a pint of H2O2. That was just enough to fill the bucket plus a half inch in the sump to keep the pump running. I let that circulate for 15 minutes, figured it dissipated by then. I then added another 4 gallons to fill my sump. The water tested out at a ph of 5.82 and 384 ppm when I was done.

Sure does seem low on nutes, about 1/3 oe the MFG recommendations. If nothing else I will call this a mini flush. will wait 3 days before I change the chemistry, unless something crashes.

Certainly, love sharing pics, especially when it looks good so far overall.

From before the res change:

After the Res change. this is the last session of LST that I am planning. From here on out it will be the trellis net to help me spread things out.

Didnt notice anything different in the root coloring. They look like yellowing teeth.

Straight down into the canopy after LST shaping, she is a little stressed.

6 Likes

Yes it does seam low. But the plant only being that big will not require as much as you might think. Manufacturers recommendations are kind of a blanket statement. Kind of like the general hydroponic ph charts. Always go half strength and increase from there. Thatā€™s why you always hear less is more. You did the right thing, I would not steer you wrong!

I will say they do look like they are starting to pray which is a good sign! Oh and I apologize for not telling you earlier, 3% H2O2 is enough to sterilize. I donā€™t think you hurt anything by adding the pint so rest assured. She should start taking in a deeper green and stay perked up praying with the current levels. If she starts to lighten in color, increase ppm by 150. :green_heart:

Iā€™ll take pics when ever you feel like it bud! I love em! :heart:

1 Like

Yeah, didnt know the dose but I knew it wouldnt hurt anything. It all turns to H2O and O2 rather quickly. Used to use it in the aquarium hobby.

1 Like

I remember you mentioning youā€™re past experience with aquariums. I have never had one but I do wish to one day. Maybe a nice salt water one!?

Iā€™ve had bad root rot issues in the past and have put way more than needed and itā€™s never showed a problem. Bleach on the other hand, will.

After looking at youā€™re recent pics I see that she has a nice green color to her already. You may see her lighten up a tad but that is ok. If she starts to look like a pale green, I would increase ppm. Just thought I should throw that in there!

2 Likes

She perked up, and greened up more, overnight.

7 Likes

@Alaskagrown I want to thank you for this tip. My res got up to 74 so I took the lid off and aimed a fan at it. Lowered the temp down to 70 in no time.

5 Likes

Some ppl from then died. Still going strong nowadays.

1 Like

No problemā€¦

It will be much more efficient if you leave the lid on and mount the fan to the lidā€¦seal up the best you canā€¦

Temps should drop even further! :wink:

Alaskagrown

2 Likes

Damn she looks limp after the night cycle (13:00-18:00). Not as good as when I checked on her at 6am. (see above) This morning she was nice and proud, now limp.

pH was like 5.2, it went down in the last 12 hours (why?) had to bump it back up to 5.8

3 Likes

I would generally say a fresh Rez change once more should help to fix the ph drop. Would you be able to keep a air stone running in the solution during the night cycle? I have not much experience with flood and drain style feeding. Iā€™m not sure if the nutrients need to be continuously mixed or not.

She showed signs of improvement so we are on the right path. If the issue continues start over once more and add only 3-5% H2O2 and see if it happens again.

PS - It looks like we can throw those low 5 level chart/s out the window eh!?:wink:

3 Likes

Agreed. Just frustrating until I get a couple recent grows under my belt. I am not afraid to do my homework, but that whole chart thing really befuddled me. Sticking with a swing of 5.5 - 6.5 until the plant tells me otherwise.

I do appreciate you keeping an eye on meā€¦ Thanks!

1 Like

I understand, I have come back from quite a bit of time off myself and have been looking at those charts and kind of, scratching my head. The old chart that I posted is accurate and Iā€™m not sure as to why it ever changed. I think that those charts are another one of those blanket statements for general use. Cannabis specific charts is what everyone should be using, and correct ones at that.

If you have any more issues please let me know. Once she gets a couple days of healthy living you can start switching the nutes slowly into bloom!:green_heart:

1 Like

The pH shift could be from evaporation from your res because the lids been offā€¦Nutrients are acidic and as the concentration of the solution increases pH will generally drop.

Iā€™d check your PPMā€™s

Another cause would be a algae bloom startingā€¦this will tank your pH as well.

Happy growing

Alaskagrown

EDIT: Also, for any kind of growing in true water cultureā€¦DWC, Aeroponicsā€¦ideal pH is 5.5! I keep mine from 5.5-5.8 never going above 6.0.

2 Likes

Precisely my thoughts on the issue. A clean out of system and roots should stabilize after a week or two of sterilization! :green_heart:

2 Likes

@MrWizard best wishes I donā€™t do hydro so Iā€™m no help

As far a plant looks limp at lights out is normal depending on plants genetics imho

Color does look good

I run Octopots my res is always at 6.2 never below 6
Works for me

Peace
Keep it green
Paps

2 Likes

Well, I bumped the pH up to 5.9 about 9pm last night. It has stayed that way overnight.

@Alaskagrown the fan is actually on a temp controller and comes on once the temp gets to 72. I did check the conductivity and the ppm rose, but only by about 30 ppm which didnt appear consequential in the short term. Regarding making it more efficient. I am already designing a new sump in my head, using a 40g Igloo cooler, and I will incorporate your fan concept into it. I need a sump that is easier to drain and change the nutes. You mention sealing it all up. Dont you need an exhaust vent in the sump too? To allow the humidified air to escape?

Here is a shot this morning.
She is definitely growing, I am having to raise the lights about 3-4 clicks each day now to maintain 18" above the canopy.

4 Likes

@OGSince03 Planning on picking up a couple bottles of H2O2 on the way home. Your recommendation makes more and more sense the longer I think about it.

Used to use it to kill algae off of live underwater plants. Apply underwater with an eyedroper directed at the algae and if you dosed it right the algae dies without affecting the plant.

Sooooo, on the next res change I am replacing the current Rubbermaid Tote with a new one designed to completely drain the res by pushing buttons instead of the manual bucket toting I do now.

When I do that I am going to scrub all of the airstones with a toothbrush and some 3% H2O2. Also will take a brush soaked in H2O2 to scrub any film off the inside of the bucket. A rinse to drain with ph water afterwards and I should be good.

Will figure out a good prophylactic dose to apply every other day. Do you think 5ml per gal would be appropriate?

I do like this better than bleach since it is so much safer, although I suspect bleach is more effective. I will save that for emergencies.

Next step will be to learn about beneficials. I like the concept, and I think I understand ā€œin principleā€ how it works. Just need to read up on which strains of bacteria are good for what. There are so many wild named additives in crazy looking bottles out there that promise the world. I want to know whats in the bottle and what it does, from sources other than the manufacturer, before I open my wallet.

2 Likes

Ok, 12 hours after the last pic and she still looks about the same. Maybe a little less droopy, but not perky except for new growth.

pH was 5.9 this morning and is 6.0 now, behaving more normally now. TDS is around 440ppm. I am not going to touch it, wont even open the Tent. I figure by tomorrow she should recover.

This weekend I am going to do some tent and equipment cleanup. I have been too lax there. Will replace the sump with a new prototype. Using 14g Totes right now for testing, will apply findings to a 40g Igloo cooler.

2 Likes

Sounds like itā€™s all starting to come together! I would recommend Hydroguard from Botanicare myself. I have not done any newer brands but I can speak for Hydroguard. Itā€™ll keep youā€™re roots nice and healthy.

5ml H2O2 per gal is perfect! :+1: Should keep those babyā€™s happy and healthy. I like the ideas you have as far as updates! Keep us posted! :green_heart:

We would like to see ppm drop and water drop daily. If it doesnā€™t, The plant may not be eating due to a nutrient lock. Or, the plant is not transpiring enough. Bringing temps in the room up to 75+ will help fix a transpiration issue! :green_heart:

VPD is 1.02, Temp 79, Humid 60%, Nutes 69

Yeah, havent quite figured out if she is eating or not.PPM is staying right at 430 +/- 10. BUTā€¦ i recently added the fan blowing on the nute which evaporates H2o and slightly concentrates the nutes.

Could the two be nulling each other out?