First grow after a 40 yr break, 1 plant, DWC, LED 450W

Looking very poorly this morning. Nutes rose from 6.0 to 6.1 overnight. PPM was 432.

Plant looks more distressed.

Going to replace the res today, minor modifications for ease of use. Will set up nutes at 550ppm (including tap ppm), about half the 1080 Dynagro recommends. While I have everything open I will inspect the roots again. Right now all the yoyos prevent me from lifting the lid.

Here is how she looks this morning:

4 Likes

I had some huge 5-6 foot plants in dwc my last run that i pulled a qp-hp off each one. I didn’t feed any higher than 800ppm on the 500 scale. I think with DWC u can generally feed alot lower then those charts recommend.

I also keep my ph at about 5.8 for flower and 6.0-6.2 for veg.

2 Likes

She does look hungry, bring up the ppm by 100-150 and see if she responds better. With the ph in a better balance, she may be ready for more food. :green_heart:

Ok, so this morning was maintenance.

*Put the plant in another bucket out side the tent.
*Drained Res & Bucket
*Installed new Res
*Filled up with water and circulated a cup of H2O2 thru system for 10 minutes while scrubbing airstones and bucket with a brush
*Drained entire system, refilled, rinsed, drained again
*Filled up, adjusted nutes to 503ppm, pH to 5.78
*Removed Yoyos and pruned leaves that were beyond hope
*Put plant back in tent.
*Circulated system for about 30 minutes, just in time for her to go to sleep at Noon

We will see what she looks like at 6pm after she wakes up.

Roots looked OK

This what she looked like before I tucked her into bed.

3 Likes

I talked about replacing the Res. My challenge is that I have no water or drain near the tent. So to drain or fill the system, I have to haul gallons by hand in both directions I am getting too old and tired for all that bucket hauling so I came up with a new plan. Fortunately the door to the backyard is only 3 feet away.

First I added a Tee and 3 valves just before the nutrient line enters the bucket. I ran a length of hose from the bottom of the tee out the tent and out the door.

This now allows me to do a bunch of stuff by turning those 3 valves:

• Drain ONLY the Res via the sump pump
  • Drain ONLY the grow bucket via gravity
  • Drain the entire system via the sump pump
  • Since I now mix nutes in the Res, I can easily run it to drain if I mess it up,and just start over

Inside the Res I created a flow path, return water goes through the heat zone, then O2 zone, finally arrives at pump to recirculate.

I re-calibrated the Res volume to 10 gallons, figured chemistry math would be easier that way.

I added levels marks at the 10g line, now I can fill the res with a hose and a single bucket of hot water to get the temp right.

If nothing else these tweaks will save me some labor on every res change.

6 Likes

Killer job! I like it. Toting buckets of water gets old for sure. It’ll keep you in shape no doubt about it.

Also you can play with the ph levels a bit and see what she likes the most. I use to run Advanced Nutrients years back when they came out with a ph perfect line. 2 part, and adjusts itself. Just a thought, maybe worth a look into.

Also again, did you plan on leaving the air stones on 24/7?

1 Like

Not until Tuesday. I needed to order a 2ndp airpump to pull that off.

Come Tuesday I will put the existing 18w airpump just on the bucket, still on the same timer as the lights and circulation pump.
The new 50w airpump will just drive the Res, 24/7 no timer.
Also ordered some bigger airstones that weigh like a lb each.
Trying to dissolve as much O2 into the water as I possibly can.

BTW, what is the LOWER limit on Res temp? Can I drive it lower? Consequences?

1 Like

The lower limit I would recommend is 65. Nutrients can have issues being uptake by the plant if their too low. They will still take up lower than that but optimal I would say is 65-63.

1 Like

Definitely a girl.

4 Likes

Female for sure! How’s all the new fixes been going? Curious to see how happy you are when you do a Rez change!

1 Like

I would start upping the feed for sure she looks a bit hungry. Definitely not worried about a lockout at this point. Shoot for 5.5 on ph. :green_heart:

New fixes are great. Havent done a res change, but maintaining is already easier.

Also liking the level change and zoning I did in the res. I can visually see things better, which is good, dont like surprises.

2 Likes

Glad to hear it! :green_heart:

1 Like

At 9pm this how she looked:

Res is doing well. I figured out a way to know if she is eating or not. Since I have the fan blowing on the res (stays right on 68) I know I am losing water to evaporation which makes charting the current ppm vs the last reading kind of useless to figure out fert consumption. So I tried measuring the effluent back to the sump. It is 1" tubing so I just stuck my probe into the end of it full stream. I was able to get very stable readings. The return is a consistent 5ppm or so less than the sump. In other words, she is eating and I now know how to measure it.

I left her at 570ppm and a pH of 5.51
BTW, today I started adding Bloom if I need to top off the res. Figure this is a good way to transition over.

2 Likes

She’s gonna be a monster! I’m glad you were able to find a way to see if she’s eating. This current picture looks good, she’s a little light but no harm done. :+1: She’s gonna be just fine if she’s got you behind the helm! She’s gonna explode with the new feed I’m sure.

I’m hoping she enjoys the mid 5 range for you. You mentioned she was responding well at lower ranges, if so you’ll be able to tell for sure at 5.5. Some genetics are naturally curly so I’m not gonna stress you out about it. :green_heart:
Keep it up bud! :+1:

1 Like

She definitely woke up feeling better.
608ppm in sump, 603ppm in efluent, pH of 5.71
Dumped 50ml of H2O2 in the sump and buttoned it up.

3 Likes

Looking like she’s enjoying herself! Bravo! :green_heart:

2 Likes

So tonight I discover that the ppm difference between the sump is growing. It es 5pmm 2 days ago, now it is 7ppm. That tells me that the plant is eating more, so I bumped the nutes up a tad.
5.6pH, 640ppm

4 Likes

Hope all is well! :green_heart:

1 Like

Plant is eating more and more, not gaining much height though.
Nutes were 677ppm, and pH was 5.9 & rising.
Leaving everything alone.

I did upgrade my sump. New pump and 2 killer 1lb airstones. Sump air will now run 24/7 even during the night cycle.

Wall of bubbles before the upgrade

Wall of bubbles now…

3 Likes