First Grow, Bargain Hunting

I have the mars light, for some reason I thought it was dimmable but I get confused on Amazon often.
I’ll see how it goes for veg, especially seedling stage and cloning without dimming function but for a budget closet flower chamber it could work.
Outdoors you really need like 4 2ft clones, they’d run you like $100-200 though and if you can set up the indoor for that amount seems like a no brainer.

1 Like

i got 2 cheap close outs from walmart online for $25 each. don’t recall the specs but they are bright as hell and a friend just used them on a very successful grow. i have yet to use leds, waiting on that license for some stupid reason.

1 Like

Something like this?

no, this.

1 Like

Many thanks! :pray:

if youre looking for lights for seedlings, anything t5 or small led lightbulbs will do. once you hit veg your best bet is a cheap chinese or mid brand with samsung lm301b or lm301h. tons on amazon, ac inifnity has a 100w for under $100. but surely a viparspectra, meiju etc can do it just as well. you can flower with those too.

also, i compiled a bunch of diy projects for lights, soil and other shit here if you want to take a look.

1 Like

Very much appreciated! I’ll be giving it a look today! Yesterday was Crunchberry’s SIP thread, and I ended up getting a lot started! My plan today is to start a lactic acid farming loop. I got glass jars out the ass, may as well start stockpiling something I need. I’m also setting up the beginnings of a worm bin so I can have a steady supply of worm castings. There’s actually a few worm farms around here, so I might be able to get some eggs for a trade.

1 Like

Got my rice water started, also went outside and checked on my compost. I got a little crazy with it yesterday, ended up pulling about 10 gallons of soil back out to keep things balanced. Looks pretty quality, mostly forest floor leaf mold and fresh black dirt. Some natural rotted wood mixed in from a rotted fallen tree I found.

1 Like

I can vouch for 100% perlite. all my plants for the last decade have been grown in perlite. way faster than most other meidums. i run hempy, so a hole about 2 inches up on a bucket. it has all the water it needs and you can’t over water. i dare you to overwater with perlite. try, fail. a 2 gallon bucket will give you 3 to 4 days between needed waterings in veg, every 3 days or so in flower. i bought a big bag of vermiculite about 10 years ago, i never used it.

3 Likes

Score, found the old man’s UV (minus bulb) and light timer. The grow lights went down the road years ago, sadly.

The original design called for perlite, so that makes 2 - 1, favoring perlite. Also saw it as an ingredient in a lot of dwc or hydro builds.

2 Likes

Thoughts on this, anyone? I was considering making my own biochar (as soon as the JADAM starts to take off), but now I’m starting to question it. If I can’t help it I guess, but I’d like to at least take some time to address it and see if there’s anything I can do to sort of… clean it up?

Today’s garden haul. Cucumbers are coming in vigorously as usual. Zucchini are starting to take off, along with the yellow squash.

1 Like

Got the starter soil today. Happy Frog was expensive as heck so I hope all that hype is worth it. Got some perlite, almost made the blunder of getting the Miracle Gro brand until I noticed it was saturated in fertilizer. Nope, not taking the chance of burning. I think I’m gonna go 1/3rd perlite just to keep from having these drainage issues I keep hearing about.

Additional: North Star is popping! I think give it a few more days and plop it into it’s new soil.

2 Likes

Happy Frog is great soil and awesome for starting seedlings. I’ve seen a lot of people say it’s too hot, but I’ve never burned seedlings with it. But keep that in mind.

2 Likes

Happy Frog is pretty mild actually, it’s the Ocean Forrest blend that can be a little hot for seedlings of some strains. Happy Frog can benefit from added perlite in my experience as the drainage seems to be a little lacking.

2 Likes

Yeah, I was worried about that myself. Added 1 cup of perlite to 2 cups of Happy Frog. HF had some perlite in it already, but I kept in mind that “Inadequate Drainage” is the biggest issue with the soil. After mixing, it’s very fluffy and moist. Not hard soil at all.

1 Like

Update picture. Not the most salacious shot, but give it some time. Moved it outside to get the microbes a little more active. Hopefully it doesn’t cook in the shade like that, it’s pretty protected from any major sun. I’ll move it to more direct sunlight once it cools down in the afternoon.

A few days acclimating to outdoor temperature changes and we have lift-off! A little crooked, but I took the plastic wrap off to introduce it to the sun. Should have it standing up, or at least that’s the hope. It’ll no doubt be leggy starting outside, so I left plenty of space to top it off once it shoots up. A few more are going in soil today, expect an update on those once they pop. Thanks for everything, OverGrow! This wouldn’t be possible without your support. Sure, I could have just popped some random bagseed and acted like I knew what I was doing. Fuck all that noise. I’m here to make medicine, not tout clout. :rofl:

Nope, North Star got cooked I think. Temp spiked to high 90s on it. I buried it a little deeper in the hopes that it gains some vigor back, but she may be shot. Oh well, that one was just some lucky medical bagseed. I really gotta get a light before I attempt these next ones. These are actual Real Genetics that were gifted to me by @rasterman so I’m a little nervous solo-cupping it during the hottest time of the year. That $30 budget suggestion will have to do for this run, beggars can’t be choosers.

Found an oddity this morning.

“Wait, that isn’t…”

Correct. It isn’t. Ever see a flower pick another flower? You have now.