Giving Back To The Community

I’m very disappointed in the community’s greedy green rush. Everyone’s trying to cash in and not enough people are giving back these days, so this is for the pheno hunters out there. We all stand on the backs of giants, and this is but one of the ways I’m going to show my appreciation.

Yessir, it’s an open pollination genetic preservation project for the community. I had a pack of 13 old-ish DS F1 beans

but only 7 made the cut. I have a few old, discontinued lines I’d like to hunt (all purchased from James Bean Co or GLG or Big SHOE, so no question of their authenticity), and I know there’s lots of folks with the same pheno hunting bug, so I’ll be doing this with all of them old lines. For the community, not for greed.

I cloned every pheno and I’m collecting pollen - #7 is chopped, as it was the first to spew and collect. @Viva_Mexico lol See the bukkake all over the wall? He looked really good in structure, but was not frosty.

The #6 male is probably the best so far. Donkey dicks + density + frost + superior lime smell…I really like him. It has everything better than the #5 pheno.

3 is also a challenger.

There’s a waxy lime unicorn buried in the F2 that produces big nugs with knockout potency that puts even vets under the table. I suspect #3 or #6 are related to her. Here’s a couple pics of that unicorn from previous F2 made and grown by others.

77 Likes

For Science™

41 Likes

awesome to hear have heard great things about dank sinatra

11 Likes

Great thread mate I’ll be sticking around for this one. I have a lot of projects similar to this one planned out (my beard will be around my ankles by the time I get done!) so it’s great to see other guys out there on with proper preservation.

Can’t wait to see it unfold, all the best dude

9 Likes

What a delightful idea :blush:

6 Likes

I am with you on this! Most of these “breeders” are exploiting the plant and themselves. It reminds me of that movie “Waynes World” in a way. Selling out without realizing it.

5 Likes

Thanks for the kind words, folks. This thread was started after I got fired up in a breeder thread and started ranting a little. Sorry for the outburst, but I hope that info gives it a little context to the unusual comments.

I grow cannabis (with a state Rx and license) more because I love the plant and what it does for and with us, bringing us together, than for the consumption of the plant and its effects. Don’t get me wrong - I love consuming cannabis in many forms, but I also love sharing and have never sold anything. I truly believe that we should overgrow the planet, and I try to help in whatever way I can.

It only costs 2 or 3 stamps and a small padded envelope to get hundreds of beans to anyone in North America. Yeah, it’s not tracked, but c’est la vie. I think everyone should make their own beans and pop them and share them. That’s what the original Overgrow was about, and I hope these newcomers carry the torch for the community.

35 Likes

Here are a few more pics of the unicorn I’m looking for in the F2:

34 Likes

Here at Overgrow we welcome an open discussion on cannabis. The great thing here is each member has the right to sell or give a way their seeds.

I hope you enjoy your time here at Overgrow…

22 Likes

Nice pics and excellent project :+1:
I think you’ll like it here @nube . New Overgrow is one of the most giving communities you will find. There’s a lot of passionate, kind people just like you. No one goes without around here.

20 Likes

Thank you for the kind words, folks. I really appreciate it, and I wished everyone shared goodness and bounty. I don’t identify with the hoarding, competitive, elitist, and monetizing people in our industry. I’ve always thought that perspective is part of the problem with cannabis culture (and probably society, at large).

Cannabis is a dick-measuring contest for so many people. This has always confused me - why does anyone care if they have “better” weed than somebody else. Isn’t beauty in the eye of the beholder, and should it really be a competition? The whole hype, troll, competition, and marketing bs in the cannabis industry (especially on IG these days) has allowed snake oil salesman to become the norm, not the exception.

And, everyone’s rushing to cash in. In my state (only medical, no rec yet) that means there’s no requirement for mold or pathogen testing, and there’s only limited pesticide testing, so the licensed commercial “medical” grow ops sell moldy, PM-infested, heavily-sprayed trash. They can also reuse plant tags from previous flowering runs, so strains only get tested the first time they’re grown, and all subsequent grows reuse those test results. It’s disgusting, but that’s the green rush. It’s almost like the industry is encouraging people to poison the weed and the seed, and especially those in need, with their greed.

And, the consumer generally doesn’t care - they just want to get high, legally. Only a few people use it as medicine. Fewer have ever even seen connoisseur, craft cannabis because they’ve been buying it from profiteers and charlatans their whole lives, and for them, even the bogus “medical” dispensary weed is a step up.

Don’t fall for it. Don’t believe the hype. Make your own. Share it. Don’t support snakes. Give it away and, if you must make money from it, be generous and don’t nickel and dime people. Deliver waaaaaaaaay more than anybody ever expected. In trades, give 20, 30, 50 seeds instead of 5 or 10. It’s not like those seeds cost you much of anything to make. You’re sharing new life that you encouraged. It’s precious, but not so precious that they must be hoarded or controlled.

I’m no breeder. I’m just here to share, whether it be info about the strains I’ve tried to grow, or directly sharing the genetics I’ve enjoyed. I love to share info, pics, and discuss the grow - that’s why I am a tester for many breeders. Testing allows me to see the character of the breeders and their lines, and let me tell you - not all breeders are created equal, and the love and energy breeders put into their seeds can definitely be felt and seen in the end product.

Even though you should be able to breed just about any of the polyhybrids together and get decent resulting crosses, some “breeders” still figure out ways to fuck it up, whether it’s from not growing the strains and picking keepers before “breeding” them, or by selling beans before they’re even tested, or by just having such negative or sloppy / careless techniques and energy that the plants revolt. You can tell when a plant isn’t happy, and it for sure conveys that to its children. Put in good work, thoughts, energy, and expectations, and you’ll usually receive good in return.

OK, sorry for the easter rant. :slight_smile: Hoping for whirled peas :v:, and watch for that speeding space station when you’re out hunting eggs and chocolate and spiritual rebirth.

60 Likes

Oh wow, what a refreshing read.

I think that this post is the post that I like the most on the OG forum.

My words do not get shared often even when I am offline but I will say “as above”

Thanks @nube

Happy days

17 Likes

Very refreshing perspective @nube

You ever need help spreading your work around, let me know. More than happy to lend a hand if I can.

Cheers @nube!

5 Likes

heyya @nube man… idk what it is but seeing those shots with the pollen sacks laying on the buds is just beautiful to me… i guess its the equivalent of facial or something… lmao

8 Likes

nice project! :+1: Looks like those will be some fine seeds. You are articulating my philosophy as well, I’ve given away thousands of seeds, partially in disgust at the way the commercial industry is unfolding in my state, along with the parasitic government, digging their vulturing claws into everything.

Here’s a great example of how the most sick and vulnerable medical patients are being served:

10 Likes

I also agree completely with your views brother…:v:

3 Likes

Are you gonna be donating the seeds to the members, cos if you are i am DOWN brother!

I would love to get some DS seeds! Anything Bodhi will be great and those plants you got look the part!

Thanks for letting us know about your project!

HppHrvst

4 Likes

What a refreshing read. Could not agree with you more! Keep fighting the good fight!

4 Likes

It’s great to read that there are so many kindred spirits out there. Thank you for the words of encouragement and support and kinship. Goodness is infectious, and it spreads when we consciously share the good vibes. :peace: @BennyHempseed @MadScientist @pookie123 @Muleskinner @Eddie.saw @Kalgrae @Pedro_Bann @miyagi @PrimalPractitioner @gsyrup

This F2 project is part of an ongoing preservation project for old and discontinued lines that my friend and I are working. We see how F2 of some older, “legendary” lines are being sold for $1000+ for 10 beans and we think that’s disgusting. How about we preserve these for all, not just the wealthy or greedy? We figure this type of preservation project could serve everyone, no matter if they just wanted to grow some good smoke, or even if they were pheno hunting for future breeding.

I’ve been approached by a number of folks who want to spread the wealth, and I appreciate those offers, but I’m probably going to go a different route. My buddy and I started this #circleofsharing team called Pay It Forward. Pay It Forward is a group of new growers, growers in need, chuckers and breeders, all brought together by the common belief that canna genetics should be freely shared, not hoarded.

Essentially, the group has donors and recipients. Donors have to offer up at least 10 packs of 10 beans of one of their crosses, with absolutely no restrictions on or limitations of their use, and it’s gotta be test grown (if its F1 or F3 and beyond, but not for F2) before sharing them with the group. Donors get first pick of newly-shared packs from other donors.

Recipients can be anyone in the US or Canada, but preferably new growers or those in need, and they must be sponsored by a donor. Once sponsored, they get to pick from our catalog of donated chucks, preservation projects, and cuts. They pick one they’d like to run, and they message the donor of that variety to request it. The donor handles the communication and shipping, as well as support after shipment, with absolutely no money changing hands, ever. Never ever.

We all stand on the backs of giants, and we all have to start somewhere. The point of the Pay It Forward group is to help new growers and growers in need. We help them get started overgrowing the planet, or at least their small corner of it, without the pitfalls of (or large amount of money invested in) trying to figure out what beans or clones to buy.

We do this because we love growing, we appreciate humanity and harmonious coexistence with one another, and we enjoy sharing and mentoring. We love to spread the good vibes. To that end, I’m putting at least 25 beans in every pack, since the F2 generation can be so inconsistent in phenotypical expressions. Also because the newer grower might botch a few plants, and it’s always nice to have a buffer. For the more experienced grower in need, such a big pack of F2 beans could help them start over, or perhaps they’ll find their own male or female to breed with.

We do not do this because we need the money. Sure, I could use the money, but I don’t want to put that energy into this project. I’ve been unemployed for a year, and in that time only had income by working a few weeks at a licensed medical grow op. That experience soured me further on the greed in this industry.

While I certainly don’t like being broke, I’m not going to be “that guy” posting auctions on IG or selling cuts or asking for donations. I had a coworker who did that, and it’s just not my thing. Maybe I’ll change my mind once I share a few hundred more packs, but for now I can afford the price of 3 stamps to send some beans to a friend in need. That’s a small price to Pay It Forward. :sunny:

40 Likes

Wow Brother, You are inspirational to say the least. Even being unemployed you still have the giving spirit! I know how it is, I’m in the same boat… It’s people like you that I wish to become successful in the cannabis industry in one way or another, If you perhaps became a breeder in the industry, I could see someone like you being very fair with pricing and such say selling seed packs for $20-30 instead of like some of these others that want to charge $75 and up for their seeds…
It makes me sick when I see some breeders asking up to $500 for a pack of seeds like their genetics are 10 to 20 times better than some that sell theirs for $50! But hey some people will pay $500 for a pack of seeds, Just not me! If I were someday to become a breeder, I would like to think that I would always keep my prices below $50 a pack regardless how good the strain turned out to be… But hey I’m not a breeder so it is all just conjecture on my part…
I wish the best for you brother, and I hope that good karma comes your way financially!:slight_smile:

12 Likes