First hydro grow! 😈👻

Any thoughts or suggestions about topping or bending this plant? Not to sure of the procedures or the pros and cons of doing it…

I usually top above the 3rd node. Topping will make the plant more bushy with multiple colas and combined with bending/tying or screening will make a more even canopy. You can check out my grow thread I just posted some pics of how I start with a plant roughly the size of yours. I like to supercrop as opposed to bending especially the top branches as you can accidentally split the main stalk if your not careful.

1 Like

Topping is pretty easy. I open up the smallest set of fan leaves I can get my fingers on and there will be a pod/calyx looking piece. This is the next set of fan leaves. The axial growth at that location now becomes the tops. You just bend it until it pops off.

You could also LST them by tying them down. I sometimes do this, but I prefer topping.

I’m also in the low EC club. It’s really not needed to go any higher than 1.5 EC and in my garden 1.3-1.4EC is the max I go and I grow 3-4 footers

2 Likes

Thanks guys @SquirtleSquad @Undead-Toker I topped it last night above the 4th node… this is one of the bushiest and stoutest plants I’ve seen! I’ll start some LST soon because it appears to be switching to flower. Noticed some white pistils starting at the stem and third node!

2 Likes

Don’t sweat it, those are just preflowers. They will continue to form in the same position on the other nodes as well.She showed early at 3 weeks. I usually don’t see them until about 4-6.

1 Like

No kidding I was surprised to see them when I was rootin around in there today. Guessing it’ll really start taking off here as far as growth and foliage goes!

1 Like

Day 22:

Last update for a bit… found some pipe cleaners and decided to give her the bends! Tough plant to get over being so short and bushy. Not sure if I’m doing this right but I wrapped loosely around the top, careful not to damage any foliage, then ran to the side of the bucket. Hope it does more good than bad!
Info:
Ph 5.9-6
EC 1.45 and 695ppm
Temp 72f
Water temp 68f
RH 50%

2 Likes

Added 210w to the grow today. Which bring the total up to 300w with my 90w UFO
Is it ok to add a bunch of light mid grow or is there such thing as too much? Also I pointed the UFO at the side of the plant to get some light penetration. It’s hanging horizontally in the tent.

2 Likes

Looks good. Can’t get over how much you are feeding lol.

You’ve been paying attention to my grow. Those big plants in flower have burnt tips from 1.3EC 650ppm lol

3 Likes

@SquirtleSquad I’m surprised too! But if it’s not broke, don’t fix lol
I gave up on the training because of how stout it is. Damn thing just didn’t want to bend for me lol
Unfortunately I’ll be running out of room in my tent and will be moving this grow to a closet this week sometime…

2 Likes

What I hated about tents. But I lose a lot of light now at the expense of having plenty of room to work.

I’m trying to figure out a way to mount black/white poly to roller shades so I can open it when I need to work and roll it down when I’m away

3 Likes

Any reason why I shouldn’t prune this plant? Heard conflicting stuff about pruning autos…

1 Like

When I suggested topping I didn’t realize you were running an auto. I have no experience with them but there’s a bunch here that do.

The topping worked great! I just don’t know about pruning or lollipoping. This thing is so bushy that the light penetration is lacking. The bud sites are popping up above the canopy tho. So I’m conflicted about pruning lol

Day 31:

Had to move the grow into a closet as it outgrew the tent I have. Stupid 2x2x4… plant is looking great tho!
Already thinking of using the tent for veg and getting 4 plants going in soil for my next grow.

Ec 1.5 and 700ppm
Temp 75f and 45% RH
Ph 5.85

4 Likes

Day 39:

This plant really blew up the past few days. Lowered the amount of grow nutrients and upped the bloom. Looks like she’ll be getting buds soon. I’ll be on vacation for a week and hope the plant sitter doesn’t fuck it up lol

Ph 6
EC 1.3
Ppm 650
Temp 73f
Water temp 70f
RH 55-60%

7 Likes

Day 53:

Quick update… just got home from Jamaica. The plant is doing awesome! The buds are in great shape to really explode all over this plant!

Ph 6.1
Ec 1.2 and 640ppm
Temp 70f
Rh 45%

7 Likes

She’s lookin Irie! Really good growin.:+1:

1 Like

LITFA works wonders sometimes :smiley:

1 Like

Ya mon, never expected this when I started :call_me_hand:

1 Like