Fisch is building DIY 480watt Solstrip light!

That’s going to be a wicked rig pal, you’ll need strong hangers eh. I have more solstrips & sinks in the post from @anon58740919 to build my own racks. Think mine will be a bit lighter though :grin:

3 Likes

Hello. Next update here :slight_smile: So I finaly managed to drill all of the holes! It was diffucult task but its done. I wanted to put the Light together but I bought erong screws so I need to buy new today :smiley:

But it shoud be done in couple of days. But I dont have to Rush because I dont have my new grow box yet. And I am not even sure when I will use that Light. Probably for my next grow in september? Who knows.

And btw. I didnt even showed you my current grow. Its the Francos Lemon Cheese from Green house seeds. I veged them 42 (normaly 35) days because I fucked the transposition to the flower box(I shocked them with too much Light)

They Just finished day 7 flower. Everything ok. PH 5,8. Ec 1800. Humidity 60-80, temperature 25-27.

They are absolutly beautifull :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Completing is done! Now the wireing :smiley: few hours of work. Lets get it done :slight_smile:

:muscle: :muscle:

8 Likes

First wireing 90% done. I Just need to drill holes for Grommets. And buy more wire. I forgot that I need to conect two sides :smiley:

15 Likes

That’s a very impressive build you have there bro. Looking forward to seeing some pics of it in use. I made my twins just slightly smaller :grin: i get around 400W in total so i’m happy and plants are growing :thumbsup:
Albannachs LED conversion

5 Likes

That wiring is artwork mate, well done.

7 Likes

wow those lights look great :slight_smile: Thsi is my first design so its not so perfect :smiley: but I am already thinking a lot of new ideas in building light panels very easily. Do it simple so you just have all different components that you just plug together like lego :slight_smile: Oh man. its the future :smiley:

3 Likes

Thank you :slight_smile: I just need to secure them properly with zip ties :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ok…you tell me what the fuck is going on, because I did every single thing right! I didnt even tight up the screws before I switched on the Light. And then this happend. Wtf? Where is the problem? I treated the strips with maximum effort not to damage them and they still dont work properly? I did not pay for this! How? @Baudelaire???

Explain pls because I am losing my temper…

2 Likes

Huh, that’s odd. Not that there might be a bad LED in a module but more to the point of where the failure seems oddly consistent across the modules.

I do not know much of about these strips but am wondering if you have everything wired in parallel or some combination of series/parallel?

4 Likes

That’s a shame about those strips. I was thinking about your problem and i remember seeing this same issue before. The guy had attached his strips with steel screws instead of nylon ones and partially shorted them out. So i zoomed in close on your earlier build picture…Sorry mate i wish i could have given you some good news here but i recon that’s whats happened with yours too.

3 Likes

Fisch, you’re making us look bad, man! You know I tested every one of those strips we sent you, personally.

You’ve got to change your attachment plan here:

Those steel bolts and hard nuts are shorting out the LED circuits (traces) underneath them, plain and simple. If the nuts aren’t crushing them, the threaded bolts are cutting into them. It’s that simple. It’s the same issue you had with the first strips, and it has the same solution: replace your attaching hardware with nylon bolts, nuts and washers of M3 size only. With any luck, you won’t have permanently damaged most of the traces, and many of the strips will light evenly.

Or just use double-sided thermal tape and forget the screws. Either way, the steel needs to go. You are killing your strips, and causing a dangerous safety risk to yourself by shorting those strips to your lamp frame. Please add a ground to your frame if you haven’t already.

You’ve got a beautiful rig, I hate to see it not working properly. Please take my advice on the screws, once and for all. No one has had the extent of issues with dead circuits that you have had, and in the two other instances where it occurred, nylon screws fixed it instantly. -b420

8 Likes

I’m going to have to second what @Baudelaire is saying here. There’s not even a nylon washer underneath bro. I wish I could say that it’s faulty goods but it’s certainly not. I can see from the pics the issues stem from the build. All apart from the screws is top notch work bro just pay attention to the minute details cos they fuck shit up

6 Likes

I don’t have an axe to grind with @Baudelaire but going by my understanding. connecting the frame of a 24V DC appliance to mains earth is not something i would consider doing. Especially in places like the US where mains return and earth are common. You could make your rig live at full mains voltage if ANY other appliance shorts out. The distribution board breakers should trip but if something like a washing machine shorts to ground you could possibly have mains voltage at high amps across your lighting rig. COB rigs running at high voltage are another matter.

2 Likes

I am going to have to pipe up here and say that if bolts cannot be put through the bolt holes then there is a design fault plain and simple.

Traces should not be near the bolt contact points, this is not user error.

I am sorry @Baudelaire the product is good but still needs a version revision.

Possible solution: distribute the strips already assembled with heatsinks.

Keep Smiling.

2 Likes

To be fair i have seen this issue a few times over the years but mainly with diy audio boards. Too large a washer, brass standoffs when they should be nylon etc. I once shorted out an amplifier power supply i had built, the brass washer i used was slightly too wide and just caught the edge of a live track. Maybe a warning sticker on each strip could avoid this happening again, the product is otherwise exceptional imo.

3 Likes

I say this as positive criticism, the traces are too close to the bolt holes not allowing for nuts, bolt heads or washers…you know what needs to be done.

@Fisch for a fix I reckon nylon washers will fix your problem and the bolts do not need to be tight at all they just need to be done up so everything is together.

If the bolts are bigger than M3 you need to change them.

4 Likes

I actually think nylon screws are a good idea. A heavy handed individual could easily put too much pressure on the strip with metal screws and damage the PCB or even cause it to hump/rise up and loose contact pressure with the sink in-between the fixing points.

@Fisch hopefully the nylon washer and screws fix the issue bc you certainly built a nice rig.

Everyday I’m inching closer and closer to making the switch to @Baudelaire ‘s SOL strips but I’m really gonna have to educate myself and get better versed with all the engineering and electrical jargon before I can even pretend I’m ready to take on a DIY project such as this. HIDs are certainly no good for the summer months… glad there’s folks like y’all here bc I feel like I’ve at least learned a few basics on this new tech. Even watched a couple YouTube videos to try to get a grasp on the basics…

Wishing you the best in troubleshooting this issue. Hopefully the nylon screws and washer suggestions solve your problem! Otherwise looks like some great work. I second the wiring props too! Super neat and clean!

3 Likes

These strips are as easy as it gets to diy build an led rig. @Baudelaire has made it simple, there are all the guides you need on his solstrip site to choose number of strips, how to blend them and what driver to use. The wiring is simple series connection and the voltage is low at only 24V, safe for beginners to build, and much safer than mains powered rigs to operate. You will also get loads of help from people on here.

HLG-150H-SPEC.PDF (218.8 KB)

I’m using two of these drivers to power my solstrip rigs. If you open the pdf and scroll down to near the bottom there are guides for connecting to led lights.

4 Likes