Hypocalcemia symptom guide. The most misdiagnosed, most common, most limiting problem in Cannabis

How many hypocalcemia symptoms do you recognize?

The brown dots only come through when photosynthesis is poor. This is a writeup detailing calcium deficiency in various other situations.

Cannabis seeds can store enough phosphorus for 2-3 weeks, but do not store much calcium. To give you an idea how deficient a cannabis seed is in early life, modern varieties use more Calcium than Phosphorus throughout the grow.

https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/food-details/170148/nutrients

Calcium sufficient start

Hypocalcemic start

Other than damping off or over watering, calcium shortage is going to be the problem you see prior to day 14. Tons of new growers give up by day 10 because their seedling never had enough calcium.

Dark blotches, glossy blotches. Boron>Cal>Phos issue. Boron moves lipids calcium and phosphorus. If this start is not boron deficient, and they never are, it’s either Calcium or Phosphorus deficient. Purple stems and dark color near petiole shows that phosphorus is available but is stalled, restricting root expansion, which allows the calcium deficiency to continue until this plant is topped, transplanted or fed a solute calcium source.

Past the seedling stage, we induce total calcium deficiency and see drastic curling of midribs. The plant can obviously not function. Short petioles, poor branching, fishing pole midribs, kinks, cups. These mismatches between flesh and skeletal growth are the symptoms of calcium deficiency in modern Cannabis cultivation.

Many of these symptoms show as boron and phosphorus deficiencies, however Boron and Phosphorus were in adequate supply in all of these photos.

Blue margins indicate photosynthates being stalled. Leaf color always evens out after an application of soluble calcium:

Even when color is restored, calcium deficiency can be detected in the sideways pull of the leaf blades. Cannabis leaves should be flat and straight. They should not look like a black widow or magnetic flux. If your leaves look like they have fish on the lines, you have a transport issue, most likely calcium related. Also note the accompanying purple petioles.

Left untreated, the symptom can consolidate, as the plant shuts off extremities:

Or the symptom can disperse evenly and go undiagnosed:

Retarded finger development is often paired with mild pulling tips. I have seen many β€œduckfoot” varieties gain fingers when put in healthy, chalky soil…

————————–—————————————–

Leaf clawing at stretch is common, when calcium demand is at its peak.

Moments after feeding soluble Calcium, the clawing begins to reverse and the darkness begins leaving the tips.

————————–—————————————

Treating to minimize the symptom: If a minute amount of calcium is added, and all symptoms vanish, am I now abundant in calcium? This metal has been completely underestimated and overlooked in Cannabis cultivation.

————————–—————————————

Typical -Cal cupping on narrow leaf variety. The margin is completely folded under.

-Cal cupping/clawing with nitrogen deficiency. Cutting nitrogen is never a solution for -Cal cupping. The majority of this β€œbud” will be downfolded sugar leaf posing as calyx.

————————–—————————————

Undiagnosed Hypocalcemia on a mature plant. Dwarfed growth, large parachuted leaves below, small banana leaves up top. You can see the moment that photosynthesis levels dropped, as phosphorus became more and more restricted, while there was sufficient phosphorus in the soil, had the roots been able to continue growth. I see many plants in this situation being put into flower.

Untreated Calcium deficiency brought to flower. This plant will yield only a partial harvest. The grower will likely make it even worse by cutting N as buds are trying to form.

————————–—————————————–

Blossom end rot in Cannabis seed. Phosphorus, made unavailable by a boron-calcium deficit, was scavenged from the seed to create new buds. Phosphorus was in ample supply, it simply could not be transported.

————————–—————————————–

Hypocalcemia Causes:
Grow stores.
Forums.
Grow talks.
Calcium hog genetics.
Insoluble calcium.
Low transpiration.
Bad temperature.
Bagged soils.
Poor water source.

Solutions:
Stay away from grow stores.

Avoid Trollitup/DEAmag/thcscammer.

Ignore Cannabis growing seminars and anyone who speaks at them.

Grow ditch weed if you can’t keep up with calcium hogs.

Top dressing lime isn’t a solution. Foliar calcium is a good bandaid.

Raising humidity can increase boron-calcium uptake.

Raising temperature can increase boron-calcium uptake.

Bagged soils contain very little calcium.

Calcium carbonate should be available in irrigation water, but it needs broken down before its available.

Almost every quirk of Cannabis is related to its heavy calcium diet that exists throughout the entire grow cycle. This issue has negatively affected breeding and production choices in ways that will continue to haunt this scene for decades. It’s time for the average Cannabis grower to start bringing their gardens to full potential and stop being victimized by the cannabis industry who’s routinely wrecked things for the average grower.

It’s the same in every plant… This is not some magic discovery, just the revealing the commercial half of the Cannabis industry for what it is: packaged lies.

Tell everyone you know. The Cannabis experts have been lying about this plant for 8 decades, they never stopped.

44 Likes

19 Likes

Nice write up,I had seeds like those one time early in my growing game

4 Likes

Hi man, your topics are very instructive.
People want to follow ready-made recipes without understanding the process.
And the industry wants to create difficulties to sell facilities.
I like your point of view, and I’ll stay close.
If you authorize me, I will post some photos of a plant with bruises on the stem, to develop this type of analysis…
We continue…

edit: I hope you understand the translation, I’ll explain more if you don’t.

6 Likes

Great insight : )
What are your targets in ppm/ec at each stage of the grow for calcium , if feeding with every watering . When growing a new strain , roughly speaking ? What parameters do you like to stay inbetween

Are you going to show hypercalcemia ? For when we push this too far ?

9 Likes

Very interesting topic

Well done now I need to research more
Paps

4 Likes

Great write up! This will absolutely make it click for someone that’s had these issues.

1 Like

Reading this and the Auxins thread… would you suggest a lower N type nute package, say 1-1-1 vs 3-1-1 and bring in the Ca heavy?
I sense an upward trend on my well water @450ppm

1 Like

@4ftfarmer The highest n ratio I go is 2/1/1 or just shy , and that’s only for stretch : ) that’s the only time I push n : )

Can you fire a link to the auxins topic : )

1 Like

Very similar info along with a video which may be the entrance to a long journey. :wink:

2 Likes

A nice visual of various calcium deficiencies. :+1::seedling:

I’ve already started this journey. Soil testing led me down this high calcium path. :wink:

5 Likes

Surely cal/mag is not the answer or is it? What are you ammending your soil with to offer Ca as needed? Lime?

Maybe, could be, if someone formulated a better product without all the nitrates and magnesium. :grin:

My soil is already pretty high in calcium (77% base saturation on a Mehlich III test). It was built with multiple calcium sources, gypsum, oyster shell flour, crab meal, and some from the rock dusts.

I probably won’t add more lime (calcium carbonate) because my soil pH is above 7.0.

I will likely add some soft rock phosphate (cal-phos) next ammendmeant cycle based on my soil test. I will likely make up the rest with gypsum.

5 Likes

@ReikoX sounds like you are outdoors or at least on a fairly large scale. I am very small scale and moving towards living soil which will include calcium sources amongst all other ingredients. I think growers are becoming smarter and making better soil decisions which address this Ca issue without knowing the molecular battle at the roots! Thanks

Grow Forth!

2 Likes

I run 3 30 gallon no-till beds. On my fourth cycle, second time testing. :+1::seedling:

7 Likes

@WestcoastCroppers Are you affiliated with any nutrient companies? TNB Naturals specifically.

2 Likes

I like gypsum.

5 Likes

Good thing that I add dandelion as topdressing in my no-till pot.
Apparently 10% of it is calcium, and it grows everywhere.
Oh yeah, and it is completely free. :upside_down_face:

11 Likes

Funny how I see these low calcium issues when I started.listrning to grow β€˜experts’ who insist I need RO water and I quit using my well water…

6 Likes

Very informative write-up @WestcoastCroppers!