-FLYWARS- ..4 different autoflowers in a 80x80 tent with COB-LED & a diy extractor fan

Yeah, vegans and sensitive folks beware… :smile: this was quite the fly (gnats, really…) infested grow, unfortunately. :roll_eyes: And I will probably vape and smoke quite a few of them buggers if i can’t find them when I break up the dry bud… :grimacing: They mostly stuck to the sugarleaves though, and thankfully most fell of during drying and handling afterwards. They seemed not to walk any deeper into the bud, maybe because they really get stuck quite immediately when they land on a sugarleaf? :thinking:

Anyway… so this was a grow with 4 different autoflowers:

Zamaldelica Auto (ace seeds)
Wild Thailand Ryder (world of seeds)
Critical Neville’s Haze Auto (delicious seeds)
Stress Killer (royal queen seeds) - 1:1 CBD/THC…

(in the tent Z is front right, WTR back right, CNH front left, SK back left…)

• seeds germinated and vegged for a couple weeks in my trusty little speaker box. :innocent:
    (link to the first verion: "Jungle-woofer" = super-stealthy hifi-speaker growbox )
  • 200w “flood/worklight” COB (4500K) first, then switched to 150w + 2x 30w (all 4500K).
  • DIY extractor fan made of 2x 120mm high quality computer fans and cardboard and LOTS of tape…
    *extremely* silent DIY cardboard extractor fan for non-HID grows - #15 by Cbizzle
  • 80x80x180 cm tent.
  • 2x 140mm computer fans (also Noctua…) for creating a good breeze inside the tent!
  • BioBizz Grow, Bloom, Alg-A-Mic & TopMax.
  • 15L Airpots with some high quality compost for tomatoes & chilies from a “normal” garden shop, added a good amount of homemade bokashi and also some worm castings, biochar and hydroton clay pebbles.

Tried to get rid of the flies with sticky traps and also by covering the surface of the pots with coarse sand… did not work. The sticky traps kept the catastrophe to a minimum though, I’m sure. :+1:

It seems that Airpots with all their open holes are REALLY nice homes for flies! :neutral_face: Not again, I will go back to using sturdy fabric pots.

Two of the seedlings showed some wickedness in the beginning, but soon catched on fine with the others…! :slightly_smiling_face:

Quite a bit of nutrient burn emerged slowly but steadily during flower, but it was anyway mostly green in the end so, well, I choose not to grind my teeth about that.

I reduced the pics in size quite much this time to make them load faster. Maybe got a bit too small, can’t be zoomed much really, so I will include some select zoom pics at the end.

The weird ones… :relieved:

Soon time to transplant into the airpots in the tent… :+1:

Springtime outdoors, and this little helper just emerged inside the tent one day, and seemed to enjoy walking around the jungle! :innocent: I never saw it after that day though… :thinking:

I used these for a couple days after the 200w COB light broke…

After the first defoliation. I defoliated several times, and quite a lot. Both to reduce mould risk but also because these lights are not superduper after all, so I thought maybe tilt the balance towards the budsites getting more light instead of the big leaves. I think it did more good than bad…

Polyploid bud mutation on Zamaldelica.

WTR was ready waaay ahead of the others.

I harvested early this one of Zamaldelica’s two polyploid main buds, as the other one had got a tiny bit of mould starting in its dense crevices, and didn’t want to risk the whole grow! (found no other mouldy spots anywhere on the plants after this…)

Lights OFF, a full day of darkness and then the final harvest…

ZOOMS:

SK sure looked weeeeird in its early days… :sweat_smile:

FiNiTO! :cowboy_hat_face:

15 Likes

nice simple setup

1 Like

Nice photography!

2 Likes

Very nice! I enjoy the progress pictures. Did you know diatomaceous earth is like shattered glass to these insects? Use that instead of coarse sand and you might get less problems with the air pots. DE also helps break down nutrients in the soil to a degree I believe.

3 Likes

Dig the tight setup. Was just thinking about scale today when visiting a buddy’s outdoor garden this year. Which is large. I thoroughly enjoyed my indoor tent(s). You can do on any scale and have just as much fun. I also slept on the gnats and then had a swarm. Will always stock the sticky traps and employ other means to crush them mercilessly at first sight from here on out. Just doing my first autos ever presently. Thanks for sharing yo.

1 Like

Nice done with the growlog and the girls and everything!! @momo420

Those pitch black pictures :sweat_smile: are those for us to visualize it’s sleepy time for the girls :v::v::v::crazy_face:

2 Likes

Naah… :smile: -it’s because I’m too lazy to write anything for all the pics, so the black ones are like breaks between photo sessions, so at least folks can easily see which pics are from the same day… :+1:

3 Likes

Yeap. Size sure isn’t what matters most, even though I have the highest respect for those that can setup and manage all that must be involved in any HUGE grow. And they are impressive (of course) no matter the design and system. But, yeah, I dunno, not everyone has the right kind of situation, motivation and skills etc for such. And we all have different priorities in life as well…

1 Like

Very nice grow you have there. I love the “fast” grows.

It would be a lot easy to follow and save on the server to remove the black photos. I didn’t read all the way thru after a couple. I came back after coffee and tried it again. It is a really great grow. A couple words or days/dates between would improve it IMHO.

:green_heart: :seedling:

2 Likes

That was a fun ride! Thanks for sharing!

Q: is that a layer of sand on the air-pots? Did it help?

1 Like

Yea, I’ll remove the black photos :+1: it will probably be somewhat cleaner/chiller to look at that way… :innocent:

Yes it’s coarse sand on top, but did NOT help. The gnats probably squeeze in and out through many of the side holes, even with the brown fabric there.

1 Like

Noted and thanks! Yeah anytime i get gnat make a tea of this and let the bio-wars begin!

(*I also use this in my 3 ponds)

1 Like

Ok, thanks for the advice! :+1:

1 Like

Beautiful result @momo420

1 Like

Somebody told me recently about lining the inside with a layer of landscaping cloth for that reason.

Something I have had success with (I’m using cloth pots) is BTi, it is available in several products, Mosquito Dunks etc. This is a bioweapon using Bacillus thuringiensis as the weapon. Nowadays they prefer we use “Biological Control Agent” :sweat_smile:
I’m planning on switching over to these pots shortly… I shall consider your observations carefully. :+1:

Cheers
G

Fun Fact:
The genetic material derived from this bacterium has been gene spliced into GMO corn, tobacco, potato, etc.

2 Likes

thats what’s in the Aqubac! :smiley:

1 Like

I’ve only had access to the dry formed product. After playing around with different delivery methods I now dose with a 1/4 grated Tsp. once a week, watered in.

Is that a liquid product?
They must be doing something clever to keep the BT dormant in the liquid… :thinking:

Cheers
G

1 Like

It a dry product. It looks like flattened vermiculite with the dormant BT inoculated in there. I put some into a tea bag, soak over night and use the next day. In my RDWC i got gnats from a houseplant one time so I left the tea bag in my res for a few days and it solved the problem. In my ponds I sprinkle it like it was a topping. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Great product!

I’ll keep an eye out for that.

Thanx & Cheers
G

1 Like