*extremely* silent DIY cardboard extractor fan for non-HID grows

Howdy,

here’s a way to put together a VERY silent extractor fan. Using Noctua or other really high quality computer fans, it’s more silent than EC extractor fans, if one has such stealthy needs. :sunglasses:

Can be used in any size LED grow, really. Just needs more computer fans, the more total heat or amount of air there is to move. Computer fans can’t deal with temps above 70-80c however, so not suitable for HID…!! Only for LED and fluorescents etc… :+1:

In micro grows, even one fan can be enough; if it’s a quality fan with high static pressure, like all the Noctuas are, then it WILL easily pull through a 1 inch layer of activated carbon pellets, believe it or not. In above 1m2 grows, use 3 or 4 or more 120/140mm fans together…

Here’s the pictures, if any questions I’ll answer. :cowboy_hat_face:

13 Likes

8 Likes

FiNiTO. :+1:

(except that the uploading on the forum has some bug, so some pics are missing… any Admins here? It said on many pics that they were over the max limit of 13mb per pic, though they were only like 5mb a few of them. None above 11mb… HUH??)

18 Likes

Truly a glorious temple, fit for the gods of duck tape.

Very creative. Thank you for sharing! It does give me ideas.

:blush:

For pics, less is more to hardware. I usually shoot for right under a Meg per file.

4 Likes

Nice! Very awesome tutorial.

1 Like

Very cool DIY tek @momo420!

1 Like

Excellent tutorial, pics r worth a thousand words.

1 Like

Excellent tutorial!

duct tape

A suggestion for the power module.
I figured out years ago (the hard way) that it is best to fix the slider in place on those multi voltage units. A little RTV will do the trick and it is removable :+1:

Cheers
G

4 Likes

I like this, very handy DIY solution.

1 Like

Bookmarked. Another project I now NEED to do, that didn’t take space in my brain yesterday. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::ok_hand:

1 Like

Man That’s awesome thanks for sharing awesome idea. :raised_hands: now my mind is running.

1 Like

McGuyver would be proud👍

2 Likes

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :smiley: :pray: :pray: :pray: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: I’ll keep typing… lolololol Awesome!!! Congrats!!!

1 Like

Some more info…

This fan-setup I used in a 80x80x180cm tent where I had 210w of COB light (well, first a single 200watter that finally gave up in flowering, then after that a 150w + 2x 30w, and all lights had their power source inbuilt so all the heat was inside the tent…), and quite a dense jungle at times, almost wall to wall.

Even set at 9V the airflow was enough to keep the temperature around the plants just 4-5 degrees higher than at floor level outside the tent, no matter what the floor temp was. Humidity was all the time in check too; a few % more inside the tent than outside in the room, and weather was on the drier side (max. 60%) so didn’t need to use a dehumidifier in the room. A few weeks into flower I set the fan on 12V because of warmer weather, and still it was just a very faint low sound that even people with sensitive hearing can quite easily sleep close to, which I have and which I did. At 12V it’s about as faint as most laptops spinning on half speed. :relieved:

1 Like

Love the ghetto/Mcguyver tek! My veg tent is made if reflective bubble wrap, duck tape, and 1*2’s. It was $7. This would dovetail nicely with my setup. Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

Here’s the fan in action… :slightly_smiling_face:

-FLYWARS- ..4 different autoflowers in a 80x80 tent with COB-LED & a diy extractor fan