Four Cotyledons

Just thought I’d share some neat photos of a volunteer that popped up in some mulch:

I had crossed some Blood Lemon Zkittles with a vigorous male selection from my GDP (F2) seed stock, and yielded a lot of seeds. I kept all the large ones and discarded the chaff as tea. It sat in mason jars in the tea cupboard for a year or so, until recently I was bored (woke up and couldn’t sleep) so I went through it, looking for salvageable seeds.

Well, I went through the two mason jars and pulled maybe 20+, 30ish seeds. The rest of the chaff–now screened for hash twice, and seed twice, and hand-sorted on a floor–was no longer “tea” grade. So I threw it on a Lavender Jack x (Super Silver Haze x The Cough) seedling (Ras El) as mulch.

Well, last full moon (January 2021) that little runt sprouted (from inadvertent surface watering).

So I figure I’ll let it grow out and see what it does. I have plenty of auto pollen stored if it’s a female; and I’ll leave it where it is, under the Lav Jack. But if it’s a male, I’ll just rip it out of the pot and put it in a 1gallon in quarantine to collect.

Thought it was a neat trait. Wonder if it is linked to anything, or if it means/benefits anything to a genetic. For now this little unlikely runt is fun to watch =)

Cheers!
-dr. zinko

15 Likes

That’s the first four prong I’ve seen. Neat looking plant.

Peace
NSBs

3 Likes