fr0g_D's Grow Diary - Brian Berry Mountain Menthol, Sweet Tooth #4

So about a month ago I got my hands on a pretty nice clone of GG4 from a dispensary, a friend picked it up for me and I immediately took some clones and put them all into quarantine. As it turns out they were clean but the clones took forever to take root but a couple of the 6 finally did and these are them.

This grow is going to be chock full of firsts on many fronts, the first couple weeks starting out will be under my old tried and true Viparspectra 600W Reflector series but I will be upgrading to a RapidLED CXB3590 3’ X 3’ grow kit(with updated 41" x 41" frame for future upgrades) in the next couple weeks and moving the whole affair out of my 36" x 36" tent and into a new 48" x 48" one that also has a small 12" x 48" mom and clone area. I have been using Smartpots for a while now but this is my first grow with Radicle Bags so that needs to be added to the list of new things this go-round as well. Last but certainly not least and probably my biggest “new” concern is the SoHum soil that I have decided to try on for size this grow. I just have doubts about this soil having all the “goods” that my plants are going to need for their entire life cycle but we shall see.

25 Likes

Be sure and stock up on LITFA. Great success with this product.
:cowboy_hat_face:

6 Likes

I got the LITFA on lock but I can’t promise there won’t be some Recharge in their future. :wink:

7 Likes

Alrighty then, here we are 5 days later. The bigger of the two will heretofore be known as Number One, we’ll call the runt Number two. I’m sure the runt is stunted because I dropped it right after it’s first transplant into a 32 oz soda cup. While I’m sure she will catch up it’s still kind of a bummer so Number one gets to play BDSM for a while. :wink:

I have been a coco guy for a long while so it seems absolutely foreign just checking the pH on the water and watering with that only but they seem super happy in the SoHum so it’s all sort of new and exciting all at the same time.

On another note, I can’t wait for Wednesday to get here because that is when my new RapidLED 3’ x 3’ COB kit will be delivered and I won’t have to color correct these pics anymore. That light is really gonna change things for me and the frog in my pocket. I’ve gotta say though this ViparSpectra has really done well for us and it will make a great veg tent light, I’m just tired of the blurple, it’s time to move on up.

Later,

fr0g_D

12 Likes

Man, the difference a day makes. I think Number two will catch up really quickly. T minus one and a half days until the Light Kit shows up. I am so stoked.

13 Likes

Big shit happinin on the farm today! First of got a truck stuck like chuck trying to get hay in to the goats Then I found the time to get started on the RapidLED 3 x 3 light that Fedex brought on Wednesday. I got the frame and the sub straight all set up with the heatsinks and the driver all in place all that is left to do is wire it up and hang it. I’m so stoked! I know, I know, it looks a little funky with a 41" square frame and all but I special ordered it that way so that I could upgrade later.

BTW does anyone have any guidance on how to use these hangers that came with the kit?

"

Not too much fun happening on the tent just yet. Number one is still blowing Number two out of the water but Two is gaining on her. No matter what happens I will most likely flip 12/12 later this week. My last grow sort of got out of hand height wise so I am a bit skittish this go round. They both seem happy with the SoHum so far. Here’s to a nice uneventful 8 or 9 weeks. :wink:

You all be good to one another,

fr0g_D

16 Likes

What’s the contraption that is made of two bottles at the front of the tent?

Looks like a bucket bong or something lol

3 Likes

Looks like some kind of pressurized watering can to me. One of them says baking soda water on it. Maybe some kind of pH tool?

3 Likes

I’m guessing some kind of automated ph system, one beaker is up and one is down.

1 Like

I figured it was only a matter of time before someone asked about that. It’s my cO2 set up and so for I have to say I dig it. While I do not have a way of monitoring cO2 just yet (it’s coming) I am pretty firmly convinced that this thing actually works really well in my 36 x 36 tent. It works like this, you mix Citric Acid and water in one bottle and Baking Soda and water in the other, You will notice one side had a gauge and the other a valve so you shake them both up good and then squeeze the one that’s under the gauge and that forces the liquid in that bottle to go over into the other bottle therefore making cO2 come out of the valve. I have that line hooked up to a solenoid that is hooked up through a timer to only come on 30 minutes after the lights come on up to 30 minutes before the lights go off. The bottles tend to stay pressurized for about a week and a half to two weeks so I let it go that long and then change out the solutions.
Like I said before I have no way of knowing exactly what it’s actually producing but I can tell you that I started it about 3 weeks into flower last run and after three days of it being on the girl I had in the tent needed to be tied up, she literally fell over from weight. I plan to get a good cO2 monitor in the very near future so I can know for sure and I will definitely let you all know what’s up at that point.

Later,

fr0g_D

16 Likes

Super cool idea and some other stuff

3 Likes

That’s a great idea! There used to be pucks you could buy that would slow release CO2 like that but they were costly. That’s a really smart design.

One suggestion if I may, putting them higher up might be a good idea as CO2 is heavier than air. If you could get it to sit right over your canopy somewhere they’d probably suck it all up on the way down lol

3 Likes

I have their 3x3 substrate as well, only I’m running 12 Crees on it because overkill lol. I don’t use the hangers they sent cause they hang too low for my liking. I prefer to run four yo-yo’s instead.

I like your setup btw

4 Likes

@Stusatwork thanks a bunch, it’s that other stuff that makes the good good. :wink:

@beacher Thank you! I eventually want to hang it up to make more floor space but it’s all going to move into the 48 x 48 as soon as I get the new light wired up and hung so for now it stays on the floor. To spread it around and make sure it was getting distributed evenly I just zip tied the outlet hose to the back of my fan so it blows the goodie all over the place.

@DavesNotHere Thanks dude! I guess my only complaint about the RapidLEd stuff is the utter lack in instructions. Lucky for us YouTube is a thing. That was my thought as well just do away with those funky hangers and use my heavy duty yoyo’s they’ll suffice.

Man, I love this place.

fr0g_D

5 Likes

I issue was not being able to lock the cobs in the slides. I ended up positioning where I wanted and flex shotting them on both sides of the track.

1 Like

@DavesNotHere I hadn’t thought of them sliding around. That could smash a finger or worse yet tear up the wiring job. Good lookin’ out man thanks.

3 Likes

I had to do a little mid week post on the girls. Number One was getting unruly so I tied her up a bit more and Number Two is steadily gaining ground so she got some too. They’re all snug as a bug and ready for their big day this Sunday Yup that’s right we’re going 12/12.

After I was finished tying them up I wanted to make sure there weren’t a bunch of leaves laying in the soil and I found what I think I may have found a small issue. I only see it on one leaf and it was low on the plant so I am going to assume it was an issue at one point but not so much anymore. It looks like a possible Calcium deficiency but I think it’s most likely a little bit of light burn from spraying them with the lights on. I don’t see any signs of bugs of any sort so whatever it is seems to have already passed since I’ve only found it on the one leaf. What do you guys think?

3 Likes

Your stalks and stems are really purple which May suggest magnesium deficiency. And the spots look like calcium deficiency. So I would deffinetly add some Cal-mag :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah, @Fisch this really doesn’t bode well for the SoHum Soil actually doing what it claims it will do.

3 Likes

Well there isn’t much that requires a picture as far as the plants go I do plan to flip 12/12 later this evening and the next time they are due for water I am going to dose them with Cal-Mag to try and stop the issues with the spots on the leaves and the purple stems.

The big news is my new RapidLED kit is all wired up and will be installed tomorrow. Holy shit man, this thing is bright and oh so white, no more blurple for this guy!

Be kind to one another!

fr0g_D

10 Likes