Leetdood's solo cup pheno hunt

Hi guys,

So I’m new to OG but @DougDawson suggested I create a grow thread so I could meet my fellow Canadians and I was like heck, why not.

So I took a 10 year break from growing and I restarted recently and I’m just trying to grow out a bunch of genetics and see what I can get, ideally for a breeding project. I’m trying my best to stay on the ball and on top of my plants but I won’t lie, sometimes I’m struggling.

So, first off I’ll post some pictures of my babies in the solo cups, all 57 of them.

I’m still lacking a pH pen which isn’t super bad with living organics but I do need one.

My humidifier gets here in a week, my AC keeps stripping all the humidity from the air in my space.

I’ll post strain names later. For now, any feedback or constructive criticism is welcome.

41 Likes

Very cool, amazing to see a new user to the site jump right in. Gonna sit down here on the grass and watch. You are going to fit in real well around here.

5 Likes

Best luck of the Irish to your pheno hunt.

4 Likes

Are you going to do a pheno hunt on living soil and all in solo cups? This should be an interesting thread.

What are the teas and amendments you are going to use?

5 Likes

No, don’t do that, wish him good luck

The luck of the Irish is “if not for bad luck, I wouldn’t have any at all”

6 Likes

Yes, that’s the plan.

I’m gonna use a compost tea with Advanced Nutrients Nirvana and Super Tea, I already had the super tea from before my break.

I’ve top dressed with bone, kelp, and blood meal. I also top dressed some dolomite lime for magnesium.

I’ve got Gaia Green Power Bloom for flower.

10 Likes

Looking good welcome great start follow along to see what you’ve got growing .

5 Likes

I :heart: the way you’re thinking :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

5 Likes

Solid soil amendments! Lovin’ it, I got me some power bloom, alfalfa, blood meal, bone meal, greensand for trace minerals. I find the solid materials are really easy to use.

5 Likes

Then you’ll love to hear that I transplanted 13 more to solo cups yesterday. 3 had to go in normal pots cause I ran out of solo cups! Ha.

5 Likes

Welcome @leetdood, watching with interest!:maple_leaf::smiley::+1:

2 Likes

looking pretty nice so far! :+1:

How long do you plan on vegging them?

And if you’re breeding, will you just pick your best ones and pollenate? Or will you be taking clones? (Clones of everything, or just the couple that stand out to you?)

PH Pen would be good. Other than that… looks like you’re doing great!:100:

4 Likes

Thank you! I just transplanted some so another week or 2 was my plan. What do you guys think?

I plan to see what the best ones are and then reveg them. I know revegging is risky but I wanted a fast turnaround. Might take some “just in case” clones of the very best ones but I have a plant limit I need to abide by, legally. So I’m trying to maneuver carefully within that legal limit.

Thank you for the kind words!!

7 Likes

Sounds good! :+1:

Can usually get away with 3-4 weeks veg in a solo. When you start to top 6 weeks you might get some root issues.

Revegging will take a lot longer than a clone out off a vegging plant.

3 Likes

It will take longer but it’s a combination of speed and plant limit. If I had no plant limit i’d just take clones of them all.

3 Likes

Im super new at all this genetic stuff.

Just learning about PHENOS in the past few days .
Pheno being a particular/rare characteristic trait ?
edited
And when you find a particular pheno. You can keep that plant and clone from it, expecting the same traits ?

I’m just curious. At what point does a cutting become a plant ?

If a person was to prune a plant and keep cuttings in a cup of wAter, are they considered to be part of your plant limit???

Calix.

3 Likes

Once it has roots, it’s a plant.

Phenotypes are combinations of traits, like how people in mixed race relationships can have children that look very different. When you cross strain A with strain B you will have a wide range of results if they’re not similar.

3 Likes

Correct, that’s why phenos are so important.

3 Likes

Hmmmmm!!!

Sounds like I have a lot of learning/ understanding to do!!

Thank you for helping me start me off!

I obviously don’t fullly understand yet lol , but Ive got a good Starting point!

SO.
You would like to breed two plants, in hopes for a special result?

Sounds like a lot of work!!! lol
I can understand why you would keep your Veg cycle short!

Super smart.

Good luck and I look forward to learning more from your thread!

Thanks so much

4 Likes

Hey @leetdood , I see you have settled right in, very cool. Looking forward to watching your grow :slight_smile:

4 Likes