Weird thought on breeding

What would happen if every time you grew a plant you crossed it with different genetics pollen over the course of years.

You would take that cross’s seeds, germ em, then pollinate it again with different genetics.

Rinse and repeat.

What would happen?

(philosopher stoned)

5 Likes

Welcome to modern cannabis :rofl:

You get a polyhybrid mess with a ton of variation. Can’t really call it a strain at that point.

11 Likes

You would create a massive number of mixed poly hybrids. Other in other words Mutts. Just like dogs random breeding gives random results. a few great some just okay. a few will be less than great.

8 Likes

Did you ever mix all the different soft drinks together?

17 Likes

so in turn something on the likes of freakshow but random traits all over the place.

Tastes like Dr Pepper minus the cherry

sad but true

4 Likes

Freak show is really inbred to get that trait on 100% of them. So more like stray knocking up your champion show dog. Puppys might make great pets but they will never conform to the standard of the line/breed and thus not really useful true breeding lines. Part of the reason some things are worth more is I can trace a line back 10 generations to form a picture of the offspring possibility. what you are describing is the equivalent of the lottery

10 Likes

id kill the stray

This right here is the best answer, you dont know what the seeds will produce, and now we are back to @HolyAngel’s comment. “Welcome to modern cannabis”

3 Likes

When I first learned how to make seeds,I would put all sorts of different pollens on one female plant :rofl: had some crazy looking plants

3 Likes

this would be a good idea to bring in two different genetics on one female.

giggity

3 Likes

should grow out some of the seeds I made from that plant see what they turn out like

4 Likes

if you ever do, tag me in it.

2 Likes

Man, if grafting was worth it for cannabis… imagine the potential…

“Growing 40 types of fruit on one tree | CNN” https://www.cnn.com/2015/08/03/living/tree-40-fruit-sam-van-aken-feat/index.html

That’s what your post brought to mind, but different strains instead :slight_smile:

1 Like

You end up with a lot of mongrels.

1 Like

Final result? A microcosm of the current poly-hybrid state of cannabis!

1 Like

So it’ll fit right in!!

The first.or.second sgeneration would be amazing as you got hybrid vigor from the unrelated.strains but as time dragged on you would.get more and more mediocre plants…

1 Like

I can teach you how to graft. I use it for mothers to keep in plant count and have a library of cuts.

it can be worth it. Sion graft interactions are super cool. You can alter the expression by changing root stocks. Every cookie or og I have grafted to a thai hybrid (you want a longer flowering rootstock than graft) rootstock has gotten VERY brachy for example.

12 Likes

That’s super smart :exploding_head: You should do a write up on that I’m willing to bet folks with a low plant count would be really interested.

4 Likes

@Neb Give me a couple days I will put a demo together with pictures.

7 Likes

I call it forwarding genetics.
You’d get a lot of variations and some hermies.
You’d eventually maybe get something totally fire and unique to clone or selfie and stabilize.