Freakin' With The Freaker's Ball Seed Collective

But did he know to try it on seeds and not buds? (large smile)

1 Like

I’m going through the same things with some seeds meant for FBSC :disappointed_relieved:
Even soaked the cubes in coconut water for the supposed added cytokinins & gibberellins

6 Likes

Have you tried castings? Use the paper towel method, but add castings and place the seeds on top. Johnny potseed having good luck this way . Probably fresh castings would be ideal.

4 Likes

I have had good results using kelp water with seeds.

4 Likes

I’m going to give both a shot when I get back home. I’m not discouraged, but I’m getting frustrated.

4 Likes

Unfortunately, unless you cracked a fresh coconut open or went to a great deal of effort, the coconut water you soaked them in has probably been sterilized. It’s tough to find real, fresh coconut water in our neck of the woods. Chilled Coconut Liquid Products | Coconut Handbook

If it’s not refrigerated, it’s definitely not going to have much; I couldn’t find anything near me that was even refrigerated as far as coconut products, much less anything that I could verify was unpasteurized or pasteurized at low temps… probably for good reason, since it’s nowhere near local and out of season to boot. It’s a neat idea, what with coconuts being the largest seed on the planet, but I’m coming to the conclusion that a regular SST is probably the best most of us can get.

4 Likes

When I say “coconut water”, I mean this freeze dried coconut flakes from BAS shaken vigorously… do you think that’s fair game, or a waste of $ ?

Freeze-dried Coconut flakes

4 Likes

Oh, interesting… that certainly has encouraging warning labels, anyway. :stuck_out_tongue:
NOTICE: ONLY MAKE WHAT YOU CAN USE THAT DAY. There aren’t any preservatives and the best use is only for immediate consumption.

Considering that BAS tends to know their stuff, and that cytokinins are one of the more important regulators of plant response to freezing in the first place, I’d be inclined to think that should work based on my 3 minutes of research. Not exactly exhaustive, but hey. :slight_smile: Good call, that’s probably fine.

4 Likes

Need someone with a worm bin to donate some fresh vermicompost. Icmag has a thread germinating 25 year old Afghani seeds or something to that effect. Fresh vermicompost gave 90% + germination and no other method produced any results.

9 Likes

Damn. With this new job, I dont even have the time to hit the grow shop and ask the manager if he “knows a guy”. I have some harvested/bagged worm castings, think it’d be a waste to try with that?

6 Likes

@Upstate I modified Johnny’s method slightly. Goat castings work (I had near 100% success), and I am confident that rabbit would work because, I’m assuming, any manure that you can use straight from the source would work. Rabbit is fine without having to break down first.
That’s my .02
:v::cowboy_hat_face:

6 Likes

A little goes a long way.
You know the standard Chinese takeout containers, 9" diameter, round, black bottom, with a clear snap-down lid?
1/4" of worm castings patted down can pop a lot of beans. I followed JP’s protocol for germination tests this summer & I was impressed.

Cheers
G

11 Likes

Not a waste to try, no. If nothing happens take the seeds out and dry them back out. @MoBilly I do have access to fresh Alpaca poo…similar to rabbit poo. @Gpaw sounds like an easy way to germinate. Nice tip.

7 Likes

So my first pack of seeds was a bust. Since the full moon (lunar eclipse?) is tonight…. i’m gonna try my hand at another FBSC seed venture — but I’m not saying what until after germination :sweat_smile:

Wish me luck

17 Likes

Good Luck! Full moon, and a Beaver Lunar Eclipse. This should be good!

8 Likes

Watch out for that fresh poop buddy. A lot of guanos are older than Betty White, many like bat and seabird guano are fossilized, you know? That said: I dunno the chem of it all and have no rational idea of “how old is old?” Just know that fresh worm poo is caviar to cannabis but fresh poo from horses, chickens, etc can burn their little bottoms back to neverville.

We used to sell a product called “Zoo Doo” which was a marketing project from a zoo in Massachusetts made from lion, tiger and elephant poo. Great marketing, lousy plant results.

9 Likes

Absolutely have to watch using most fresh manure, no doubt. Especially from chickens. However, Alpaca poop won’t burn, supposedly even right out of the butt🤣. (not that I will be testing the theory lol.) Not sure why exactly, but I reason that it has something to doo ( pun intended😁)with this particular poo’s durability. Once drIed on the outside the poo pellets form a hard but pliable shell thats nearly waterproof. It takes forever to break down. . I actually started breaking up the turd pellets by hand in an effort to get it to break down a little quicker. Still takes forever. This stuff Doesn’t even bother sativas when in direct contact with the roots. I sometimes break it up and mix it in my soil for transplanting. My buddy Mounds Up 3 or 4 inches around his veggies. I never use only fresh poo( its mixed old and new), but he claims he has and that it is ok in this case. Like rabbit poop.

Not a bad idea if they stuck to poo from vegetarian animals.

10 Likes

Good luck and best of vibes!

2 Likes

I was looking for a copy of the logo they used for Zoo Doo and found that a few zoos in the country still collect and sell exotic poo under that name. Hope FL and CA have better luck with it than Boston did. But Boston’s 1990’s Zoo Doo logo was the best, hands down. A ‘Good Morning America’ producer even had me send them some to feature on the show and they even mentioned our company name. Made me feel like a ‘bigly time’ marketer back then.

But I dunno how you ask a tiger if he is a vegetarian. Maybe ask Carol Baskin’s ex husband?

6 Likes

You asked for a link when It went up… :sunglasses: :+1:

Cheers
G

5 Likes