Landrace strains - general thread

Some of you may know that I have a thread called, “Project Pipe Dream” Where I was hoping to try and obtain some landrace seeds from some generous members and I have gotten a few to help out. But anyways I was just hoping to get a thread going based on just landrace strains from around the world. Just a general thread as long as it focuses on the landrace strains and perhaps landrace hybrids as well.
I think it would be cool to have a thread about these rare strains that seem to be disappearing with time as they are being polluted with other genetics unfortunately.I hope that some of you that have knowledge about these strains will post about your experiences for all to enjoy. I think it might be cool also to have separate threads also for sativa and indica varieties. Just making some suggestions. Thanks.

34 Likes

There’s gotta be some seasoned growers out there with some old obscure collections.

I used to have so, so much more Thai seeds, literally hundreds of them. The police confiscated around 300-400 Thai seeds from me as evidence against me when I was raided 5 years ago, along with an extensive collection of other seeds, perhaps another 100. I’d been collecting since I was 18 or 19 years old, I’m 27 in April. I could of shared so much more seeds to your Landrace Programme. It’s a shame. I miss my collection.

13 Likes

Sympathies, that is difficult to read.
@GrowEasy

4 Likes

Damn bro that sucks. I wish i was old enough to have landraces or any old school geneticsXD

2 Likes

in the same boat, got an afghan landrace… little easyier to find.

I have a hybrid cross

Colombian Gold x GSC , Ou la la

2 Likes

ohgod damn. i want everything with GSC in itXD

3 Likes

The link does not work, But I did find an article on the site about the beginnings of marijuana through africa and such. Maybe same one.

1 Like

Works now, Thanks MiG. by the way I signed back up at CC my nick is : scoobydooby

2 Likes

are you apart of grasscity under that name?

1 Like

Sorry It’s not me, I do have an account at grass city but I have not posted much there.

2 Likes

From various places on the web, the rarest Cannabis landraces are:

*Lebanese Red
Malawi Gold
*Oaxacan
Angola Roja
*Colombian/Panama Red
Greek Kalamata (may be extinct)
Jamaican Lambs Breath
*Idukki Gold (Kerala ganja)
Indian Himalayan Parvati
*Original Thai (skinny stick)

I have these * landrace strains, and I also have Zacatecas Purple (Big Sur Holy) and many other Mexican and Colombian land race strains from the 1970s. I also have Durban Poison seeds sourced from ZA. I have a large landrace and early heirloom bag seed collection frozen from the 1970s and on. They are still viable. I have been growing them for the past 40 years or so. I am doing a Lebanese red run this year from some more recent Lebbie seeds from Europe (85% germination rate). Sorry, my landrace seeds are not for sale or trade. I may trade more of my seed runs that I cross in future though. I breed only to maintain landrace genetics and I do not do variable strain crosses (well, I have in the past, but no longer).

19 Likes

Yeah I have a few of some of them, Such as Lebanese, Malawi gold,columbian red,Oaxacan gold, I’m supposed to get a thai from a member from here but it has been 18 days since he said he sent them though so I don’t think they are going to make it, I did send him about 30 seeds in return for 4-5 thai’s, I have a few others landraces that a couple other members offered to send me also. I usually at least try and offer something in return if somebody offers me something, I feel better about it that way. But there has been a few guys here that want nothing in return for their favor.

3 Likes

I just posted a response a little while ago to your post in the trading forums, I hope you did not take offense to it. I was just stating that it was hurting your chances of getting any landraces from anyone by posting in the very next paragraph that you already had a large collection that you weren’t likely willing to share with anyone.

3 Likes

Well, I am not really looking to trade for other land race seeds here. I have a close network and I can pretty much get all the seeds that I want from people that I know around the world. I do not say that I do not want to trade or sell to put people down, its just the way that it is. And I posted that because on several other forums I have posted to about my landraces, people have thought that I have sold my land race strains to seed various companies, and they wanted refunds and more seeds, and stuff like that. Or they pester me to sell them seeds, and that is simply not going to happen. I do have some more modern strain seeds to trade, and as I said, I may have more of some land race strains that I am crossing now. But until I have those seeds in hand, I will not make any promises. And again, my land race strains are simply not available for trade. Just the way that it is. Call me seed greedy. I do not care.

2 Likes

Ive just been collecting things from ace and cannabiogen. Thats the closest landraces i can getXD

3 Likes

Any photos? @BigSur can you post the Greek kalamata? What is it like? Height aroma leaf length, bloom veg times…? My gut says it’s a long finisher given the Mediterranean connotation? Cheers!

No photos of The Greek. I have no seeds from that strain. I may have a lead on some Greek seeds through some friends in Europe, but I do not know about some of the seeds being traded these days. Not the fault of the traders, it is just that seeds are named for Cannabis clones that are seedlings of seedlings of seedlings… S1/F1, F2, F3, etc. and even so called land races may have auto or fem genetics into them. A strain is not a strain is not a strain… Look on some of the genetic profile web sites and you will see that many strains are completely different or have 5 chemotypes and 3 phenos each.

Just the way that it is… mainly due to weed’s legal status globally for so many years.

6 Likes

@BigSur I want you to know that you are welcome here. I was happy to see you post again…

2 Likes

Well, this is just a fly-by to read mail and see if anything was new here. I am branded a Nazi for using Miracle Grow here, so I will not be sticking around long. I am tired of the organic vs conventional farming debate. I am also tired of people wanting and begging for my seeds.

4 Likes

Well I learned a lesson from that discussion and I have been on top of that issue ever since. I hope you can over look that event and move forward with us. @BigSur

2 Likes