Full blast or half power?

I basically just made sure extension cords and power strips were new or in good shape and grounded as well. Got my two big lights on one power strip going to my timer. Wondering if the four small lights can go on another power strip then plugged into the other side of the timer or if I should get a second timer and run those to a separate outlet. The pump and fans are together on one power strip. Hopefully I’m good but I better study ohms law lol.

Hi @Sativaindica,

With respect to loading of your outlets, is important to know what those LED fixtures actually draw in terms of current. Nearly impossible to tell from the advertised wattage.

I have two LED fixtures, both advertised as 300W. One is 180 actual watts, the other is 120.

Most household circuits are on 15A breakers, which means 1800W maximum power at 120V. We usually design connected load to not exceed 80% of rated branch circuit capacity, so your real life maximum is 1440W per circuit, or about 12A.

Another design parameter is how many outlets the engineers/electricians put on one power circuit - that number is usually 5 for dedicated power circuits, I am not sure about residential designs because sometimes your overhead lighting and power are run off the same breakers. So just because you are using a different outlet, does not mean you are using a different circuit, so find the one that is on a different breaker if you have to.

As for those plug-in timers, they are kind of crappy, I would not load them with too much. If in doubt use more if them. LED fixtures have a pretty high inrush current, many times higher than their rated capacity, so contacts and circuitry in crappy timers may not last long under full load.

Good quality, high-Irish stable devices will actually use a solid state switch, like a TRIAC, to start the load momentarily, and then switch the relay under zero potential, to prolong the life of contacts.

4 Likes

The site says that it draws 240w and can replace an 800w hps. A few people remarked online that it doesn’t even draw that much. I will def go and find out what breakers the outlets are on. The big lights on the timer are on an outlet in a bathroom off of the tent room so I am hoping they are on a completely different breaker. I will also probably just get another timer. Although, the one I have seems pretty nice, it’s prongs and both of its additional outlets are grounded… thanks for the info! I am a very unscientific grower trying to learn science and math and shit when my 31yo brain isn’t sure we have the capacity lmao. I’ve learned a lot since I started this journey in April tho, so I’ll give myself a tiny pat on the back lol

2 Likes

Thank you for helping out. I’m poor with words lately. I just wanted to make sure anyone who came here knows the importance of not overloading circuits. For constant use you want no more than 80% load is all I end up retaining tbh.

1 Like

@OniTenshu and @HappyHemper I just ordered an APC wall timer with surge protection and some GE extension cords with surge protection so I feel safer with that than the old cords and timer (without surge protection) that I have now. I may not know much about electricity but at least I’ll have safer equipment now lol. I’m learning tho!!

1 Like

Safety first! Very good idea to not rely on the cheapest electrical equipment that Walmart has on their shelf.

Spark one up and have yourself a safety meeting!

1 Like

Haha will do :hugs::grin:… I need an electrician to make colorful charts and speak in Lehman’s terms, maybe make up an educational song, and then maybe someday I’ll get it :joy:

1 Like