General use Gardening thread

for those that don’t know mint is invasive keep it in a container or it will be everywhere you don’t want it i knew a guy :grimacing:

8 Likes

By far my favorite tomato. Color me green with envy. :yum: :+1:

4 Likes

I’m looking forward to them, I like nice slicing toms. Never have grown or tasted them before as I usually grow a few San Marzano’s for canning to make sauces.

2 Likes

We use it for coverage and tea. I have room for it to go :crazy_face: crazy

1 Like

Great job @Cadman - I think they look excellent for the job - it is a great technique to use for keeping the wood around longer when used outside :100: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

2 Likes

Does anyone know if tomato seeds produce the same fruit they came from?

That sounds odd but apparently its a thing with fruit?

I picked up tomatoes yesterday which I really like I’d like to grow some next year :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

The question is heirloom or hybrid? Hybrids have variation

5 Likes

Yes & no.

Generally you want seeds from Heirloom varieties because food from store has been sprayed to prevent seeds from growing.

We took seeds from tomatoes (Roma) from store and they grew lots of Romas for us.

We took seeds from cannaloop from grocery store and grew them this year, the ones that did germinate grew.

But I’ve done this before & nothing grew, so :person_shrugging:

2 Likes

Thanks guys, they’re from the local supermarket i’ve not got the pack handy, I’ll get the name and have a look on google :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Does anyone use Borage in their gardens? I saw this at a community garden yesterday and I liked the look on it but looking for people’s experiences growing it and what they use it for

7 Likes

Heirlooms will be the same as the fruit they came from, hybrids won’t. Most supermarket tomatoes are probably gonna be hybrids.

5 Likes

Every garden needs some. Wildly good for bringing in the beneficial insects.

4 Likes

It has a ghostly delicate look to it but quite a beautiful plant.

2 Likes

For the Love Of Luffa!

They draw in bees, ants, small wee bees, praying mantis, then the birds hang out on the spent tent frame, where I fastened garden wire to, and gorge themselves on various bugs.
Next year, I’ll get them started a month earlier, as this was last minute idea, growing my medium, luffa medium.

13 Likes

Picked a gallon today :relieved:

blackberries!!

:drooling_face:

23 Likes

We take jars of the jams and jellies we make during the year for the family Christmas get together.
The gift exchange, is sort of a game, each takes a turn, picking out a wrapped item, from the pile we all contribute to, you open it up, hold it to display the item, set it down in front of you.
Then after each person has a turn, or a gifted item in front of them, when it’s your next turn, you can pick another wrapped up item, or look at what has been unwrapped, and snipe it!
BlackBerry jelly, is by far most sniped item, even the wine bottles sit, not the BlackBerry Jelly!!

8 Likes

Got another gallon of blackberries today!

12 Likes

Saving tomato seeds by leaving them in water for several days to liquefy and then pouring through a screen and laying out to dry.

19 Likes

Dmed brother.

1 Like

My bro and I each got another gallon. I sent 8 quart bags of blackberries. 2 gallon bags of blackberries. I quart Tay berries. And 2 gallon bags of raspberries with him… need more room for more berries. :laughing: :purple_heart:

(He has space)

5 Likes