General use Gardening thread

just curious you say jam for like toast type of jam as my mom and i would make this what we called pair sauce our family used it like a relish for chicken or pork.

7 Likes

She’s opening tonight folks…or possibly tomorrow at the latest. Smells like honeysuckle mixed with gardenia

12 Likes

It’s a jam bordering on marmalade. I used Asian pears, 2 cups sugar to 4 pounds of fruit, lemon juice and a touch of cinnamon. I do 8 pound batches that give me 8 full half pints. The taste, to me, is like a pear infused lemonade.

2 Likes

By far my favorite tomatoes! :yum:

4 Likes

What are they?

They are Candy Cane peppers. They are very sweet with little to no heat. Kinds has a chocolate smell when growing that could possibly show in the flavour.

3 Likes

If you have spare seeds, i would love to try a couple.

DM me a place to send them to and I’ll get them out next trip to town.

1 Like

She fully flowered around 9 last night and 2nd time seeing in person… amazing terps haha

19 Likes

13 Likes

Thanks so much, I’ve been waiting to see this! What a beautiful flower!

2 Likes

Thanks and glad you enjoy it, I spent years trying to get the damn thing to flower indoors then realized outside might be the answer and since last year has flowered 3 separate times which is abnormal. Pretty sure it’s just catching up to decades of missed opportunities. Awesome smell but completely wilts by the morning

20 Likes

That’s a Queen of the Night? I’ve had one for about a year. I had it in my west window that gets some serious afternoon sun. The plant grew well in the window and turned red which I wasn’t comfortable with. I’ve since moved it to my office with much less sun and it sure does seem happy and is growing well, just no flores.

2 Likes

Ive been waiting for it ever since you posted it a while ago! Lovely :blossom: flower

Yeah man night blooming cereus or queen of the night, this plant is roughly 50 years old but never flowered until last year after trimming back and placing outside.

3 Likes

I want to give a warning to some of the people receiving these that they can be very invasive depending on the location. They litter the coast here in Socal. Otherwise carry on :+1:

2 Likes

That is a good point. Climate should definitely be considered. They will drop seed and those seeds will sprout & if your winters aren’t cold enough, they can get out of hand. Here, they die out in winter.
They should definitely be planted with that in mind if they’re going in the ground (they can work well in pots too). Mine are wedged between a shady spot where they will not venture & a lawn where any rogue seedlings will be promptly and repeatedly mowed throughout the warm months. If I didn’t have a spot like that, I’d have probably kept them in a pot. They’re easy to see and pluck when they sprout, but it’s always a good idea to consider who will be the next property owner… they may not enjoy gardening & end up with a castor forest.
I could see them getting out of hand in Socal & I’d imagine somewhere like Florida too.

1 Like

WOW that’s an absolutely amazing majestic beautiful flower u grew just pretty :heart_eyes::star_struck:

1 Like

Will that do ok in Washington State

I can’t say for sure. You could check the USDA hardiness map & find out what zone your in and look up info about the castor plant & decide what you want to do. If I had to guess, I’d say they wouldn’t have a problem growing in the spring and summer… whether or not they die over the winter, and to what extent, depends on how cold it gets.

I don’t know much about them other than how they grow here & that they’ll kill ya if you eat 'em. Winters here (zone 8b) are somewhat mild, but it will get down to freezing temps enough times to kill the plants & their roots. The seeds will sprout the next spring, so they’re grown as an annual. If you’re somewhere it doesn’t get cold enough, you could end up with a bush that grows back and gets bigger every year plus the seeds that sprout to worry with.

1 Like