Germ testing with EWC on The Eve of the Worm Moon

So been checking in with my worm bin and the compost pile and decided to try sprouting some seeds with a mix of peat moss, earthworm compost, and dry right clay bits for a little drainage/cec. I soaked one set of seeds in barley water and the other in plain overnight and planted in the aforementioned mix, watered in well and check out the Moon, Oh My! …and my wife informs me that this is actually the eve of what is called the worm moon! I’ve been in about worms all day, even exclaimed that “they can solve all our problems” at one point.
I do hope that the castings help these seeds sprout, I haven’t had much success with them so far.

6 Likes

Off course I just threw out my old ice cubs trays. This would be so good for multiple strains.
:seedling: :blossom: :sunflower: :hibiscus: :seedling:

4 Likes

Worms are the key-

1 Like

Anxious to see how this works!

1 Like

So oddly enough, my 13th birthday was the worm moon in 95.

4 Likes

Why do they call it a worm moon? What makes it special?

2 Likes

The March full moon is called the “Worm Moon .” It gets its name from the earthworms that appear when the soil warms in spring, according to Farmers’ Almanac. … It will be the fourth closest full moon to Earth in 2021.

6 Likes

I’m hoping with the Worm moon, castings, and the barley water something will pop.

I’ve tried several methods with these seeds so far, have gotten a few to pop, but then they don’t grow, maybe the EWC/barley water and moon energy will give them the extra push they need. I’ll post pics as I check in on them.

4 Likes

A Super Worm moon was on my birthday In Y2K :grin:

:seedling: :hibiscus: :sunflower: :blossom: :seedling:

6 Likes

You can do it ! Im glad you dont give up :smiley: I cant wait to see those little :seedling: s

1 Like

Hoping to get something, I’ve tried several other methods/tricks with these and have kept one alive long enough to be called a plant, the rest that have popped all stalled out on me. Next trick to try will be scuffing, soak, and plant in plain sterile starter mix. Nothing to report from these so far though, I’ll give them a couple weeks.

1 Like

So, haven’t had anything to report until tonight, checked in and found a confused seed had sent it’s little root up out of the soil! At first I thought maybe it had been munched by something so I did an autopsy to find it didn’t know which way was up. I flipped it over and am hoping it is a survivor. My theory is that maybe I didn’t plant it deep enough or orientation does matter when placing the seed?

2 Likes

I’ve observed this in strains that were bred for many years using the hydro paper towel germination method of sprouting seeds in total darkness until they pop their cotyledons, and then planting a complete seedling in a puck or hydro cuff.

It seems that after many generations, the seeds can lost the ability to self orient when planted naturally in soil.

1 Like

I think I’m gonna let these go another week just to see if anything else comes up.

So far the most success popping these has been soaking in distilled water with a couple drops of super thrive overnight and then sowing them in sterilized peat. My problem there was that they seemed to stall out after coming up.

I’ve read of some other tricks for popping hard to germ seeds. Have tried aloe water and coconut as well. I’ll be trying to scuff them next time with sand paper before soaking. The germination bomb might be worth trying too.

My hope is to get at least a few going so that I can clone and do a seed run to preserve the genetics.

2 Likes

So, really thought that the EWC mix was gonna get them popping but it did not. Next expirament is scuffing, soaking in super thrive (few drops per gallon) and then plant in all purpose promix. I selected seeds of the varieties that I’ve had the most ‘success’ with so far. Will document here, or should I start a new thread?