Germinating old Seeds

I love the idea of straw bale gardening. Have you tried it? We have real boney, shallow soil here, and my wife took the old garden for garlic growing…so i need to make a new one somehow, and quickly. This is the perfect method.

3 Likes

Hello there. How’s things going? I have a question for you that I hope you can answer. I was sorting through seeds and putting all of them in vials over the weekend… and I managed to label the Columbian gold and the Lambs bread from exotic Alchemy Colombian gold. So they are both labeled Colombian gold. Do you have any lambsbread seeds you can take a picture of? The seeds do look different… so I’m hoping I can figure out what’s what.

2 Likes

A place I ordered chili seeds from also offered KNO3 (salpeter) to help germination. Found it only after I ordered but was planning to get some next time. Don’t think you can buy it around here.

1 Like

@Upstate I got a package of the Pepper Seed Starting mix at Seeds n Such. They are out now but you can put your name on a list to email when it is back in stock.

I think it would also be easy to make with GA and Potassium Nitrate being readily available on both Ebay and Amazon.

If I bought raw items, I would start by making a 200 ppm solution of GA. Then a recommended amount of Saltpeter, Potassium Nitrate, to add for a seed soak is 1 tsp per quart.

It worked like a charm on the first three seeds but not so well yet on the last two.

In my case, the seeds germinated, but do not have growing tips yet. I’ve seen this before with old seeds. It is as if the gene that tells the seedling to grow has been damaged.

5 Likes

Thanks for the info! I’ll be looking into it. Perhaps tweaking the recipe one way or another will get you some better results. As you have it now though, crappy Tales are better than none at all and they’re definitely a step in the right direction.

2 Likes

I use KNO3 (potassium nitrate) mainly for (chilli/sweet) pepper seeds. I don’t bother measuring it any more but just add a bit to some water in a small (30ml) disposable cup and add the seed(s). After a few days to a week I refresh the water and add KNO3 again if it is still not showing anything.

I’m currently using it on a Nocturne pepper seed from 2013 and it showed a tail after 5 days.
I did the same with some basil seeds from a package with an expiry date of 2009 and have 5/10 show a tail after 3 days.

Edit: I forgot to mention the 31C temperature of the KNO3 water, which seems to help a lot too.

4 Likes

will do.

np

1 Like

The seed starting kits are back in stock at Seeds n Such.

The word is getting around on the forums. They will probably wonder why they are selling so many kits but not so many pepper seeds!

3 Likes

I’m sure they will go quick this year even without cannabis Growers buying them. I have heard people say that seed sold out way back in January or February in some cases

1 Like

@Comacus

thanks for the timely note - got some on order as well.

:peace_symbol:

1 Like

So I had these stored in the same container next to the 33 c99’s, came from the same guy too! 48 hours wet paper towel at room temp and I have 1 tail poking out. These grew some great plants back then. He let auto diesel, auto master kush and low ryder 2 just have fun for 2 generations.

Approximately 2009 genetics

12 Likes

I’ve germed seeds older then 15 years. Others even longer. I just received some seeds dated 2009 the other day. Guess this post is a sign. :grinning:

4 Likes

How were they stored?

In a jar in a box in a spare room or basement for the last decade, they are the oldest in my possession. So I said fuck it and decided to pop them. I’m not sad because last night I had to kill 3 plants that were 3 weeks into flower that hermied on me. Now I have replacements lol

5 Likes

I hate hermies! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:
No fridge or freezer. Interesting. :thinking:

5 Likes

Sweet, best of luck to ya with em. I’ve successfully germinated seeds from the late 70’s or early 80’s that were just stored in a cool, dark place. Some just really want to grow

7 Likes

I’ve got a handful of seeds that are bag seed from the 90s. Mostly brick weed stuff but the dude said if it was around in the 90s he most likely had it at some point so there might be some hidden gems in it. He said he got Chocolate Thai more times than he can count so some could be from a bag of it. That could was enough for me! Haven’t attempted any of them yet but I’m hoping I have some viable ones.

3 Likes

I remember getting my first bag of thai in about 2001, shit was sticky and compacted, seedy, looked leafy and kinda greenish brown.

Got us hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh as all hell. Wish I had saved seeds of that stuff…

3 Likes

I got Mexican seeds from mid 90s brick weed.
I saved all that looked viable . They are in bag and jar in freezer.
I grew some good smoke from these back then.

6 Likes

I’d love a few of those! I miss the shit I got in high-school in the 90’s.

4 Likes