Germinating old Seeds

Maybe try JP’s method with EWC.

Gonna have to get @JohnnyPotseed over here to link ya to it though. :wink:
I can’t search very well with the new interface. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

Thnx for the tag, brother. helping each other out is the thing to do!
https://overgrow.com/t/johnnypotseed-s-germination-technique/

4 Likes

People helping people. :slightly_smiling_face:
That’s what life’s all about, right brotha?
:call_me_hand:t4:

2 Likes

Those sound pretty badass to me, I hope you get them to pop.

That said, you sound low on beans, DM me if you’d like me to send you some out. I would be happy to share on my dime.

2 Likes

Thanks, Ill give it a try. I tried sanding them down, and other than the worm castings which Ill try, I used damp paper towel, did what you do. What do you mean when you say cut off the ridge?

2 Likes

The bead around the seam, it helps weaken the joint, making it easier for the bean to pop open. Just shave it down with a razor blade.
I’ve popped 20-30yr old beans using the methods I described in that thread

4 Likes

I popped some 25 year old beans using a whole pack of fresh tomato seeds awhile back you could even use spare beans from batches you didnt like a pinch if thier good and fresh ive also used those.A guy on RIU told me to soak the seeds for 24 hours till you see tails pop, strain out the fresh seeds keep the water put your beans in that kept water and soak them in for at least 24 hours i used a seed cracker that time too.Theres a enzyme i think in those fresh seeds the old beans lose over time and the fresh sprouts have it.I almost want to wager one could find it in fresh bean sprouts from the store if you ground them up and soaked them im clean water and strained the solids out and used the water.Same principle really.You cant go wrong with the EWC methods either.Mystic Funk uses his worm bins to sprout otherwise barren seeds its quite the feat actually

4 Likes

I tried soaking some in water that I soaked navy beans in, but it would seem to make more sense for them to be in water where the seeds , tomato or whatever, actually started germinating. I have some tomato seeds around, so maybe Ill give them a soak in that, before continuing with @JohnnyPotseed method.

3 Likes

I think they sell Gibberellin powder and extracts too? Sprouted bean water works great too, I’ve heard that willow water and kelp are viable options too.

gotta watch for those that includ salt in the pellets for rabbit nutrition besides that rabbit feed should have alot of goodies for the soil if its salt free

1 Like

when you buy gibberellic acid you get enough for a life time i got some last week used it in a weak solution mix did not work for me the seeds did not open i have some very old blueberry X sensi in the same boat DM me if you want a little to try, look into it first it has pro’s and con’s you will need a degree in chinesium to under stand the directions but will sent a copy of them as well

2 Likes

Yeah, I read a bunch of posts on the web saying gibberellic acid would get their seeds to pop, but then they would stall out. I appreciate the offer though.

My plan is to try scarifying them, soak them in coconut water, and use @JohnnyPotseed method, and see where it goes.

3 Likes

I can say for sure that using coconut water, dehydrated coconut water and coconut sugar is the best thing you can do for old seeds. Together with hydrogen peroxide you will give them the greatest chance of surviving

6 Likes