Germinating old Seeds

The link in my previous post should work, Is it not for you?

Ok I got you. No it is for me. Only tried 2 out of all yet but those didnā€™t pop

Has anyone tried the pressure cooker method on pepper seeds?

2 Likes

6 years is not old if kept properly , I have some that are almost 20 and still popping good numbers

8 Likes

The Best article I have come across for germinating Old Seeds is this one

6 Likes

Thanks for posting that. Iā€™m having stubborn Krippy seeds that wonā€™t crack, and Iā€™m not the DYIer type. Extremely helpful to have a product for those not so inclined.

1 Like

Been bringing seeds back to life with aloe, probably best to put it here:
12 yr old seed try

aloe6 aloe7 seed1
seed2

23 Likes

Thatā€™s a very interesting technique! How long did it take? @Astrodude

5 Likes

29 hrs til stem point swelled, 106 hrs til tip out, going in dirt today!
If you look at most cloning gels and foliar sprays for cloning, they have alot of aloe.

11 Likes

Awesome! Iā€™m gonna give that a shot some day

5 Likes

Iā€™m thinking landrace sativasā€¦ :thinking:

Cheers
G

5 Likes

This is really cool. I have some old seeds that need assistance. Iā€™m gonna have to try this one! Thanks!

8 Likes

Thanks for posting, it is an interesting article.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing this great info!

2 Likes

may i present you with vinegar
begins necromantic ritualā€¦

revive!!!

4 Likes
4 Likes

No one has mentioned kelp? Seems to have a plethora of nutrients etc for seed germination. Even a compound that the seed uses to shed its own shell.

3 Likes

Im literally trying this right now too funny lol.

I have been using my aloe plant to pop old seeds. But just squeezing the juice into my pre soak water.

But as I was cutting one today it opened a little pocket and I was like hmmm lol. So I tossed one in there. But also placed that in the pre soak water.

3 Likes

Blockquote

Hola Gang

Cobra check Holland site they sell GA3
and have instruction,
the main thing is to dilute the GA3 in
alcool 5mg 0r 50cg not all scale got
to 2# behind the point then mix with water

its when you mix with water that make
the appropriate ppm necessary for GA3
to work properly . if its too strong or too
weak it wonā€™t work and every plant have
a different dosage they tolerale .

alfafa you can buy at your local farmer co-op
a big bag is cheap it come in pellet form and
its usually sale for rabbit food.
I always mix some in my soil make plant tall and strong.

Bare

Blockquote

Iā€™m getting ready to sprout some old seeds, and happy I came across your info - nice to have another tool ready to pop them open.

Thanks

3 Likes

Anybody have any tips for germinating old seeds?

I have some 25ā€™ish year old white widow and super skunk seeds Im trying to germinate, and so far havent had any luck.

I wouldnā€™t bother, but its all I have right now, and my current grow, week 3 of flower, i think has fusarium or something. It seems to be hanging on, but dont wanna try to reveg if it somehow makes it.

Anyway, so far, Iā€™ve tried most of the normal methods; scarifying, soaking (with and without H2O2 and in bean water), paper towel, straight to soil.

So far nothings worked. Closest I got was one started to sprout, and just stopped. Im down to my last five, so any advise will be much appreciated.

Heh, normally I just do wet paper towel in in a baggie, throw them somewhere warm, and in a day or three, theyā€™ll sprout. so it could just be these are just no longer viable.

Thanks in advance.

5 Likes