Germinating old Seeds

Dimethyl sulfoxide

It’s often used for its transdermal qualities in medicines. I assume it’s to help permeate the shell casing.

3 Likes

@Tinytuttle, it’s worse, its pearled barley. which means it was removed from the shell.

It’s not germinated and won’t. When the sales lady asked me it pearled barley was ok, I thought she was talking about a brand name. I probably wouldn’t have bought it if I’d paid enough attention to see it had no shell. I had asked for barley seed (the video that @Enstromentals posted said “you can get barley seed from your local health food store”). Mine only carries the pearled version.

One person on YouTube said, “shelled barley seed can be difficult to germinate” . That person is a master of understatement. I’ve tried 3x, each time rinsing and changing water at closer intervals. It ain’t happening. I only did 2 more times because I was waiting for my orders of barley seed and malted barley to arrive. I ordered a pound of each like 30 minutes after I read @ReikoX’s message above. The malted barley must’ve been a shorter trip to get to me as it arrived today. I ordered the malted barley crushed to save a little wear on my blender blades.

I am going to make some SST from the malted barley this after noon and use it. When the seed gets here, I’ll make some from freshly sprouted seeds. I’ll use both to see if there is a difference in how the seeds like them.

There isn’t any very close to where I live and my cataracts prevent me from doing an long drives. Day or night they make it difficult to see when any light hits them, its like suddenly putting on a pair of cloudy gray contact lenses. I ordered through eBay. the seed was about $7/lb and the malted was about $9/lb. Not as cheap as a homebrew store, but acceptable. Especially if it helps to sprout even one of my old seeds that were stored under my bed for 11-13 years. I love a good project.

I was wondering the same thing. I was going to go to a farm supply site to find out, but I see once again @ReikoX was able to provide an answer. :smiley:

I was wondering how you knew that, @ReikoX. You really like your home made highs, eh?

Edit: added the following:

No wonder @99PerCent thinks you know everything about growing cannabis. I think you do, and more.

In the this posting from @MadScientist (the germination bomb) the original poster says near the end that this is used for exactly that. He goes on to say that if you don’t have any to work with, to scuff the shells before putting them in the g-bomb. I’m not going to buy any until I’ve tried with the products I have on hand or on order.

I received a fresh bottle of Superthrive, mine was at least a decade old. They are still using that tin cap on the bottle. It seems like they do that knowing it will rust away and most people will just buy more instead of transferring it to an all plastic H2O2 bottle and cap. I just bought a 2 ounce bottle since I obviously didn’t think it worth using all the time. I really only bought it for use in germinating.

I also received a pack of powder to make humic acid. I am now questioning if it is necessary since I have fulvic and according to BioAg website, fulvic is derived from humics. But, for under $10, it isn’t a horrible thing to have on hand and like fulvic acid, it can be used with any nutrient, so I don’t think it’ll go to waste.

According USPS website, my GA3 will arrive tomorrow. I had already started a second round of trying to germ 5 pcs each of all 6 old strains before I decided to just do one strain at a time. Of those six seed groups, 4 actually have tap roots wedging the shells open. and out of them both the White Russian (the oldest group of seeds I have from days past) and the St. Louis Sleeper have an emergent tap root as well, with both protruding about 1mm.

3 Likes

Ya I watch the vid in the above thread it was misleading to me with the whole barley thing wish we could of saved ya the headache just a bit earlier . There are other seeds out there that probably could be used also for SST like popcorn, and Alflafa chalked full of plant hormones (tricontinol ) and zeatin ?(corn) once sprouted good luck in getting those babies to sprout I’m pulling for ya!

2 Likes

Ouch nothing like EBay gouging the consumer … for future $ saving just go to an online homebrew store better than EBAY

Fwiw just make sure the ground stuff stays well sealed and dry, once ground it deteriorates much faster!

2 Likes

@Tinytuttle, I was wondering what other seeds could provide similar help. Hell, alfalfa sprouts are available in any grocery store. The health food store should have fresh, all organic alfalfa sprouts ready to go. That is, of course, they clean them so much that they lose most of their nutritional value the way most prepared food do. I think the health food store would be most likely to have its nutritional fully intact.

I’d have liked it better it he had gone into more detail with barley and GA3. But, a little experimentation should provide specifics, it just takes longer without a jumping off point to start at.

Thanks for the advice. :smiley:

And that advice. I bought several types of desiccants for storing seeds and pollen, I’ll make sure to put some in with chopped malted barley and refrigerate it.

Sounds good in theory but alfalfa sprouts at that stage have already lost most of the important stuff needed , you want to get the seeds at the stage like what we do for our cannabis seeds just sprouted with and emerging taproot then blend it! The truth be known all bet a lot of seeds could provide something to the tea! I’v even heard weed seeds being used in SST (dandelion) perhaps! Some crazy shit :poop:Right there!

4 Likes

@Tinytuttle, interesting notion. Maybe a mix barley, popcorn, and alfalfa sprouts would give a more rounded tea.

Yeah, i figured as much. I knew that’d just be too easy…

That’s part of my intrigue.

Edit: Added everything after this line

@Tinytuttle: Absolutely brilliant! What about using cannabis seeds for SST. New seeds are certainly goikng to be viable. Would they then be able to supply exactly the same enzymes and hormones?!?

I have 1500 brand new advanced maturity seeds from an accidental crossing between 2 of my Purples and my Durban daddy. The Durbans I pollinated were close to the 2 Purples that had gone into Flowering 2 weeks ahead of the Durbans. I got 1600 seeds (weigh counted at 73 beans per gram) but just shaking both of the Purples over a large, deep container right after I was done trimming them out. There is probably another 1500 seeds stuck in the buds yet.

I’ve already made some SST from the ground malted barley and used it. I will sprout a bunch of MJ seeds and make an SST from that. Be an interesting test, if nothing else.

Good to know, hadn’t thought about it. I’ll get the barley SST and some cannabis SST tried out before I get to that point, so I have plenty to work with before the popcorn “pops”. :innocent:

Also, my GA3 should be here tomorrow, so I have plenty to do for now.

3 Likes

Give it a go the corn will probably take close to a week to sprout BTW

2 Likes

@Tinytuttle has beat me to all the comments I was going to make and then some. :+1::seedling:

So for my lazy style of gardening, I will sprinkle a tablespoon of two of the powder on the pots, then water in with fulvic, aloe, and silica. Popcorn tea is high the growth hormone cytokinine. It will promote branching and is also found I coconut water. So my lazy style of growing (notice a pattern here?) I just use the powdered coconut water.

6 Likes

Thanks @reiko for catching that corn hormone I didn’t think zeatin was the correct one but it sounded good didn’t it!

5 Likes

My last 24 hours could have been better…

I’ve been waiting for GA3 to get here yesterday. I checked the mail at 5 PM and nothing. I tended to my nursery and when I was done, around 6:00, I checked the USPS site. They told me it had been delivered to my mailbox at 5:50 PM. I excitedly went to the mailbox and removed a small pkg. When I opened it, it turned out to be the Barley seed I had ordered. I checked the site again. It told me both the seed AND the GA3 were put in my mailbox. Details show the mail carrier scanned them about a minute apart. I talk to the letter carrier a lot, she likes dogs and I am often out with my dogs when she brings the mail. I know it wasn’t deliberate or malicious and she will probably bring it back with Monday mail. It is just a giant disappointment. I’ve been working with the same seeds for 6 days. Not sure if they will survive until then.

I’ve had no visible changes in the last 3 checks I’ve done, so today, I removed half of the shell on all of them. Some were mushy on the inside About 40% looked good inside. I changed the towel and solution for each of the surviving seeds and put them back on the heating pad.

Here is what I mean by “looked good inside”:

I actually the photo because of the seed on the right. As you can see, it looks all shriveled and dried out. Definitely never growing. Ever. The other 2 look like they need just the right treatment and they will come to life. This is all conjecture on my part, though, since never opened a fresh seed to see what it looks like inside. I suppose I’ll be doing that as soon as these groups are done. I’ll have plenty to spare…

And that brings me to the other reason the last 24 hours could have been better. When I got back from getting groceries and hardware items, The electric in my area was down. As I was scrambling to find the battery lanterns (I figure any white colored would to prevent screwing up my flowering cycle), the power came back on. I have no A/C powered analog clocks to show me when the poser went down. I checked my computer files to see the last time something was written. It was more than an hour before I came home. :rage: Damage done. I’m going to need to figure out a way 2 separate ALL my flowering plants in the next 5 days. If I am going to be getting a ton of hermaphrodite seeds, They all need to be self seeds, no whoring around. At least the seeds will have value.

The irony of the situation is I gave one of my Sweet Tooth plant its first STS treatment 4 days ago. Seems a bit unnecessary now. My nearest harvest date is 2 weeks out. Even those plants will have seeds, they’ll just be really immature and hard to find before smoking them. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

At least I have 2 more LR x LD autos that will be seed free since I grow them in an entirely different room in my veg chamber.

Hope you folks have had a better couple of days.:persevere:

1 Like

Panic over. 4 of the Flowering plants are coming out before they even would be making pollen if they did herm. Also several folks have assured me that the plant would need to be prone to intersex. @Baudelaire assures me his Sweet Tooth #4 are not. I don’t think my Purple is, but I will be moving that one to a separate Flowering area in about a week until I am sure it is safe. I want to make sure it won’t be messing with ST4s.

My GA3 arrived Monday like I thought it would. I’ll be trying it on the 6 seeds I have in only a half shell tomorrow.

Anyone celebrating the American Independence Day tomorrow, be safe. I have a friend that lost 2 and a half fingers from fireworks when he was young by holding on to an M80 too long. Let’s make sure we end the day with the same amount of fingers we started it with.

Cheers all

3 Likes

Bet it would with some of that unicorn poop @ReikoX has been hoarding for the 16oz cup comp.
:unicorn::poop::weight_lifting_man:‍♂

3 Likes

:poop: from a magical creature probably would do the trick.

3 Likes

I have some GA3 but, it came without any instructions at all.

Would someone with a Goggle account upload this video to someplace that I can get a copy from? This is one of MANY videos on YouTube that come up with a message about age. It always says to login to my Google account to see the video.

I don’t do Google. They are trying to eliminate personal privacy in the world and I won’t help them out. The only time I regret that decision is when one of YouTube videos refuses to be shown without a Google. I’ve tried to set up a Google acct using false info and Google sees through it and refuses.

If no one can do it, or no one wants to, that’s ok. I just thought I’d ask.

Keep your gardens sunny,
C50

3 Likes

Turns out the Unicorn Poop was too hot, its composting in the worm bins now…

7 Likes

Hahaha dann great pic. You’ve got to stop using it so fresh bro yoh got to wait til almost all the rainbow has lost its sparkles hahaha

4 Likes

A brew shop will have malted barley

5 Likes

Hola Gang

Cobra check Holland site they sell GA3
and have instruction,
the main thing is to dilute the GA3 in
alcool 5mg 0r 50cg not all scale got
to 2# behind the point then mix with water

its when you mix with water that make
the appropriate ppm necessary for GA3
to work properly . if its too strong or too
weak it won’t work and every plant have
a different dosage they tolerale .

alfafa you can buy at your local farmer co-op
a big bag is cheap it come in pellet form and
its usually sale for rabbit food.
I always mix some in my soil make plant tall and strong.

Bare

3 Likes

i have the same article in my notes will try it when i buy seeds.

1 Like