Germinating old Seeds

Thank you very much Mongobongo (I like your name)

I will cancel the thread it’s an error of mine I’m shame

I search in other forums and was thinking having search here

All the best

2 Likes

Hola Gang

I used some GA3 once an awhile
it does help a little it give more
elongation to the plants.

50ppm to 100ppm no more

Heat is also important don’t
let them become cold.

I would also try to germ them in
a clean environment no dirt go
with coco get it wet with some
water and a little sugar but very
little sugar like molasses.

Bare

6 Likes

Thank you very much man !

Yes concentration can be the key I’ll try to investigate more

All the best Barefrog

2 Likes

Hola Gang again

I forgot to mention

Soaking time is also important
Some info will tell you 8 hrs soaking
However no where is mention what
they are soaking.
The longer the soak the older the seeds.
I soak for many hours seeds came out
and grew very elongated.
its a try and true

start with 2 hours if not enough
add time but I would not re-use
the same seeds that has already
been soak a first tiem for a second
soak.
Some also say that you can mist
your male plant with GA3 and pollen
will produce mostly female.

But Peoples say many things

Bare

6 Likes

2 yr old seeds should have zero germination problems unless they were stored very poorly.

4 Likes

5 yr old seeds arent really ‘old’ either. If dried and stored properly there shouldnt be germ issues

6 Likes

A well-known Breeder (from Strainly) gave me his method for germinating “old” seeds:
Step 1 - Pill Bottle w/120 Grit Sandpaper. Seeds inside, shaking for 1 Minute.
Step 2 - 8 Oz jar with Distilled Water, soaking dry beans/peas for 24 hours.
Step 3 - 8 Oz jar with Distilled Water AND Aloe Vera Juice (I slit a Fan, placing the Gel in the jar, stirring mixture.
Step 4 - After the 24 hours Bean/Pea soak, combine the contents of the 2 jars. Now put in GA3, PPMed to 35.
Note: This will crack seeds up to 4 - 5 years old. If older, PPM to 50!!! I personally cracked 10 year old seeds.
It’s referred to as “The Lentil Soak”. Hope this helps someone.

15 Likes

Thank you very much

Yes it helps a lot thank you

1 Like

They were stored great until last year; we had a power outage in the summer.

2 Likes

I managed to germ @Scissor-Hanz’s headband a couple of years back by soaking some in a small glass of water with a dash of 3% hydrogen peroxide, ( scuff seeds on sandpaper/similar.) i only germed two out of 12 and only one female finished - nice bud from what I recall. :+1:
Gaz

2 Likes

so, i am running out of my beans from the early to mid 2000s,
if i am not mistaken, this batch is from roughly 2006? dont know exactly but sofar, everything i’ve tried has failed to produce viable seedlings, the seeds have been stored in sealed glass vials, properly dried and last used…a long time ago
I have tried…
pure water,
soaked overnight, left in mildly damp paper towels
unsoaked, left in mildly damp paper towels

soaked in sugar water overnight/paper towels
sugar water damp paper towels

honey water soaked paper towels
plant food soaked paper towels

heavily soaked paper towels, pure water

mildly damp soil
heavily damp soil

if they can revive 1000 year old seeds, ~10-15 year old shouldn’t be THAT bad

3 Likes

For old seeds I mix hydrogen peroxide with water then soak seeds in it

6 Likes

I always use peroxide for any seeds because I’ve found it helps prevent growth of any fungus that might grow from the shell and infect the taproots.

A few more things that might give you some advantage:

Roll sandpaper into a tube and tape it. Plug the ends with your fingers and shake around your seeds inside it. The scuffs they receive help moisture penetrate the shell.

Soak additives like tm-7 for humics, gibberellic acid, water that was used to soak dry beans or lentils.

Manually cracking the shells. Careful, it’s easy to crush them, so a screw apparatus can help make that easier.

10 Likes

Worm castings really are " the shit" lol!!! Can’t wait to read all of it later
Have had a worm bin for a year now unused in a corner. That article ( germing old seeds) will be enough to get my ass in gear and set it up!!! Old seeds = new life!! Thanks for the link!!!

3 Likes

I ran across this link a few years ago. I posted it here on OG somewhere, but I can’t find it, so here it is again. It’s called the germination bomb. I’ve only used it twice, but it worked both times. The seeds weren’t stored real good, so it wasn’t 100% or anything, but I got seedlings. :vulcan:

12 Likes

I’ve got that one written down in my notebook too guitarzan. I’m determined to try a bunch of ways to germ my old stock before I give up on it.

1 Like

I picked up Khmer gold from gn collection on seedbay. Germination rate around 10% or so. Old stock from 70’s supposedly. Hoping to save it. Will be trying everything on my own old stuff first. Then on to bought seeds. I have 60 of the Khmer gold to try. Due to their age I may have to deal with them this summer. Has this been preserved here on og yet?

7 Likes

You are all awesome, I am going to use the seed bomb method if I can get a hold of the stuff, so I want to add the dmso to the dhmo or the other way around?
Hmm
Was it acid to base and all will be on place or was it base to acid and the reaction will be flaccid?
Ooh well, maybe I’ll be lucky and it won’t go boom
I’m scienceing!

3 Likes

Nope, but I’d love to see it.

I’m contemplating busting out my Gypsy Nirvana Luang Prabang Lao for a run as well. Supposedly also very bad germination rates.

5 Likes

@ lefthandseeds…I’ll have to mention the Khmer Gold on the new thread you started.:smirk: I’m not quite set up to grow them yet, maybe 2 months out or so. I would love to see those Luang Prabang Loas grown out! (I’m researching cracking old seeds lately. Want to make sure I get some to pop! )Glad you picked them up! Do you think they are the genetics Ace used a while back ?( did they get theirs from gn collection?) Maybe a GN thread when you do them? I hope we both have success with these! Real gems! I foresee a trade in the future… …:wink:

1 Like