Germinating old Seeds

I still have about a dozen in RW so I will keep them and see if they sprout, being I would just throw out the RW any way. And I will see if anyone can come up with something different that worked for them, but will probably go and get some Boax or Cherry Wine.

1 Like

Well, except for the Rapid Rooters, That sounds exactly what I did, although my tray is a High Domed Takeout tray.

2 Likes

I recently was cleaning the basement out so I can move my whole operation (instead of lugging water upstairs) and found a bag and I do mean a bag of seeds. I’m positive they are from my dear old Dad and had to be from b4 I was around because my pops always smoked Sensi. My problem is I CANNOT get any to pop. Do seeds go bad? I always thought that hard exterior she’ll was a protect all. If not am I just an idiot and cannot germinate stuff that is older than I am? Any info is greatly appreciated

5 Likes

I just got 12-15 yr seeds to pop but I think mine was a fluke of how they happened to be stored. I didn’t do much special other than load up the soil I planted the seeds in with aloe water. But you can play with gibberillic acid etc… There are ways. A quick way to separate the ones that may be worth trying are to give em a light squeeze. If they squish at all throw them away… or give them the floater test. Viable seeds should sink.

5 Likes

The enzimes that jump start life tend to be laggy the older seeds get. Even more so when stored in fluctuating environment. Your best bet is to soak them in an enzyme tea like a seed sprout tea with a little sugar added to help things get off on the right foot. If that doesn’t work, monster gardens makes a pre-made mix just for sprouting old seeds. I’m always a fan of trying to do it myself before spending money on premixes

12 Likes

To add to my precious statement here’s the video

8 Likes

then I killed them off because of neglect.

lol
LITFA-X?

4 Likes

Definitely try the gibberellic acid! You can get a baggie of it for under $10 on ebay.

5 Likes

JL Hudson Seedsman has a great catalog of seeds, some rare, some(many) ethnobotanicals and also is a source of GA-3
http://www.jlhudsonseeds.net/GibberellicAcid.htm

That being said, I tried using it to induce male flowers on a female and got some bizarre stem growth instead.
Don’t remember the actual strength and application rates but I went by the book.
Not happy with the stem elongation on the sprouted seeds either. Truly a last resort in my book.
My EFG offers some promise for hard-to-sprouts, other than some early, aggressive flowering on one, my two surviving females are doing quite well.
75% germ rate on 10yr refrigerator stored seed. Single test.

My next experiment with hard-to-sprouts will be with auxin rich willow twig tea.
I’ve had some success with it as a rooting aid, especially with woody stemmed plants.

6 Likes

i did ~250ppm of Ga3 to germinate my grapestomper bx2 seeds and i got like 4/9 seeds or something and they were crazy elongated … so i popped more without the Ga3 and got almost full germination … i guess the person i got them from was wrong when they said really poor germ rates

4 Likes

Hola @legalcanada

I started with 100 ppm
then when to 50 and even at
50 ppm some strain its too much.
They elongated if its too strong.

tru the yrs I found out that people
who are having germination problem
is often due to cold house, compact
soil, too wet so its not the seeds the
problem more the environment.

Bare

6 Likes

exactly how would one go about germinating seed that is past the expiration date so to speak? 2+ years

2 Likes

Having trouble.
Popped 1 out of 20. Seeds are from winter 2014-2015.
Im up to 80% on rooting clones tho so ill save the old seeds and give it a go in a few months.
Peroxide did help newer seeds pop in <24hrs.

3 Likes

Cinnamon has helped me root clones by fighting mold.
Anyone tried to soak any with cinnamon. All my old seeds are chem d, sour diesel, a few gg4, a handful of LA Confidential. Dont wanna kill anymore yet.

4 Likes

Do you dip the cut in the cinnamon or put it in the water?

2 Likes

Dipped technically. Spread it on a nap. Coat the stem.

2 Likes

Do you have to germanize the seeds befor planting them?Im in florida and im starting an outdoor grow! How many times do i water a day and how much? Any tips for me on my first grow !

2 Likes

Germination before planting is not required. As long as you have fresh viable seeds, you can plant straight to the ground or container to grow in. If your unsure of the age and/or viability of your seeds, you can germinate them in water or paper towels to monitor them. This way you know in a few days which will grow and that beats staring at a bucket or piece of ground for a week wondering if anything is alive under there. Good luck, happy growing, post pics.

5 Likes

Hello everybody

I received some old seeds from Mexico and would like to try them in the best conditions I can

I saw a lot debates about GA3 solution and concentrations but nothing at the end.

Have you found better results than me about this subject ?

Thank you and all the best

1 Like

Hey here is an older thread covering the same topic. I’m sure it will answer your Qs.

5 Likes