Granny’s Molasses + Fish Shit

Does anyone here use Granny’s Molasses and Fish Shit in their water? (Growing in dirt.)

How did it go for you? Did you have a good outcome?

5 Likes

Are you talking about black strap molasses and a fish emulsion? I have used molasses in some of my teas during flower and I do liquid fish drenches all throughout my in ground grows

Too much molasses can cause your soil to start composting and burn up your plants. For increased bud size I swear by inoculations with Mammoth P

1 Like

Unsulphured molasses, I guess any brand.

Fish Shit is the brand name. I haven’t heard of Mammoth P.

1 Like

I have there’s nothing wrong with it. Fish it you’ll need more than that. You can get Alaskan fish fertilizer from Home Depot and Lowe’s. For around about $10 a quarter I think and then you can get a gallon for about 20 bucks. The Numbers are 5-1-1 I do believe. Add some of that to your recipe. You’ll be okay. Fish it is too expensive. It has some drawbacks also.

1 Like

Are you referring to the Fish Shit brand and maybe your autocorrect is changing it? The way your message reads us a little confusing because I’m not familiar with the items you mentioned that can be purchased at Home Depot… are they nutrients? Alaskan Fish Fertilizer? I’m very new and trying to learn. $10 a quarter what? Thanks.

Fish shit and fish it. It is in X-rated name.

Fish shit is a microbial soil conditioner and helps release nutrients by breaking stuff down. the molasses feeds the bacteria, and provides a free source of carbon to the plant. Neither are fertilizers but both are good for the plant/soil.

6 Likes

This is what he means; it’s a basic nitrogen-heavy fertilizer, similar to top-dressing EWC but a bit worse for the soil in sodium content - which, of course, I realized after I bought the gallon jug. It also doesn’t have nearly the micronutrients that EWC does, so I’ll be switching once I’m done with it… anyway, entirely different from the Fish Shit you have, which is microbe- and enzyme-based. Both that, and the molasses will help your soil life but won’t add any more nutrients to it if that’s what you’re trying to do. The molasses does have some basic nutrients, but Granny’s is either light or dark molasses, which is not the one typically used for plant food. That’s blackstrap molasses.

3 Likes

This is the product the OP is talking about here

Blended up fish emulsion and fish poop are completely different things were talking here.

Both molasses and that product are best used in compost teas as the concept of that is culturing microbe colonies to unleash into the soil to break it down and feed the plants, so although it won’t directly feed your plants the microbes it contains going crazy on your soil will.

As far as the molasses goes u can use any "unsulphered " molasses just fine, your just providing sugars for the microbes to feed on. I personally buy grandma’s by the gallon but as stated black strap is the most ideal, only difference between the two is black strap got a 3rd boiling and unsulphered was boiled twice, end result is a darker less sweet and less sugar content blackstrap

To someone not paying close attention to things it’s very possible having the unsulphured with it’s extra sugar content attract unwanted pests like ants but using in a tea where those sugars are consumed during the brew process and I have had smooth sailing using unsulphured

In veg 3/4 tbsp per gallon of tea for molasses in my brews and that gallon brewed dilutes 1:1 in water before root drenching

For flower and finishing teas back off to 1/2 tbsp per gallon

8 Likes

I’ve used Briar Rabbit forever. The last time I needed it, I could not get it, picked up Granny’s, and still got a bit of it left.
I can not say why I prefer the BR over Grannys, but I really miss the BR, and can not wait to get back to it again.
The Fish shit, I was given a sample at the grow shop last year. I really liked it, until I went to buy some and got sticker shock. So many less costly items to use, to do that job, for me anyway.
Being a wee personal grower, with no way to recoup my losses, I use cheap things and get results we are happy with. When it’s done being used in the basement, it goes to the garden, and works some more. At times, things come for the garden, and go to the medium totes, the original cross dressers, LOL!

2 Likes

No molasses by it’s self _ I use Myo-Chum has molasses in it and for fish shit I use during the flush- my medium is soil.

1 Like

That stuff is way too expensive and it will not feed your plants. It does help but I believe it is way too overpriced. Neptune make some great products also. It is cold pressed. With some of the other fish stuff it is cooked. But Alaskan fish fertilizer. A bloom booster which they do have. You can get that doctor earth general feed and just top your soil. Good Epsom salt. A grow can be as expensive as you want it to or you can make it cheaper. For the price of the big bottle of fish it. You can get quite a bit of stuff. Earth juice has a pretty decent line of base nutrients.

2 Likes

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087D91TRD/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_7PKR7K23B7WFF4PCGFBA

For $50 that is a great deal

I use a product similar to Fish Sh!t called Fish Brew Bold. I’m not a fan of adding sugars to my soil, the plant will do that naturally.

2 Likes

You’re a completely different grower. You make your soils. Which I think is brilliant. I could see not adding sugar, you have to be careful with molasses. It will clog that soil up. It won’t get any air in or out. Then your plants die. I use a little bit I don’t get carried away with it. I like it cause it makes to sole a little crusty. It keeps the flies out. Which I have problems with. @ReikoX you’re a veteran grower. A+ I got to say

I mainly use big candy and big bud. Flower fuel is my big boost . I don’t think I’ll be running big bud and big candy anymore . And I do have a Hi- Brix. Grandmas is not black strap. You will not get the same nutrition from it. It does have sulfur it does have some benefits but you cannot give that to your plants every week.

1 Like

have Alaska products (fish fertilized ((grow) and their Bloom products, want to get their kelp but can’t find it. (K-Mart carries the grow fish fertilizer, even in gallons but no bloom) Alaska is very reasonability priced
Also Neptunes harvest has good “sea” products (sample packs available $10.00 (if I remember right)

1 Like

check out “Silver Bullet” for increased trichome development ( a suflur product) have used before with good results - can’t remember the companies name at present , will check and give you the companies name

great stuff - use it regulary AND it’s priced very good— been using(fish) fertilizer for many years and Alaska is on the top of the list !!