Grateful Dead/JGB Tape Traders Forum

50 years ago today wish I was there….

https://youtu.be/eMwJkwlgEy4

Would post the video but I’m on my iPhone at the moment and away from my computer

4 Likes

Whats the most hard core song they made, I’ve tried getting into there music on a few occasions but most of what I have found is just too soft an mellow for me.

4 Likes
7 Likes

Nice pick @DJSF! Great opener, itchin for the Wolf even more now Ha.
Good to have you back around buddy!

5 Likes

Thanks @BeagleZ your words mean the world… Birthday brother… :metal::sunglasses::zap:

☆DJSF

4 Likes

What have you listened to that is too soft and mellow? Studio or live?

6 Likes

Mostly the live videos on this thread, I’ve only listened to like 1-2 though but I typically listen to hard rock or metal is why I asked.

I don’t usually see much acoustic guitar either and we’re they have history with weed I thought I’d give them a shot, I just don’t know what to look for or what’s the best ones to check out.

6 Likes

One of my favorite shows is 6-9-77 if you want to check it out. I would suggest maybe 8-10 grams of mushrooms and 2-3 3gram joints :crazy_face:

They are deff way more in the psychedelic side of things not so much crunchy power chord type stuff.
That was not meant to be undervaluing at all. Just lack of a better vocabulary

6 Likes

Welcome @Forest_Organic, to our mini Dead Zone over here. I was sitting in the corner smokin a spliff, and ran across your query.

The Dead is weird(I know, really breaking ground here), not wierd like weidro’s. More like, it’s wierd that some people live it, and some just dont get it. Same for Metallica too tho, right? Some get it, some don’t, I’m lucky or cursed(you decide), and appreciate it all from a very up close and personal standpoint.

Dead groove is totally different from ‘Hard’ rock groove. Rock groove is in your face from the git go. DEAD Groove, is all about crescendo, so it’s not one song that takes you there, it is the whole experience, if yaknowwutimean. knowutimeen?

Here is one you could get into. And when I mean get into, you gotta get into character:

Drink 3 martinis within an hour and a half(to simulate pregame), run up a few flights of stairs(to simulate getting into the show), then rip at a monster spliff(like you would at a show), and hit play!

You must be in character, and you must TURN IT UP!!!

…give it a try, it’s all fun and games til someone else becomes a Deadhead.

4/29/71 Fillmore East, is pretty hot.
here is a sample, find the whole show on relisten app, start at song 19 :wink: youtube’s version’s audio is effed. you are welcome :slight_smile:

Effing Fillmore!!! :v:

I hope this assists in your attempt to gain some insight.
Drugs, alcohol, music, since very early in our existence;)

7 Likes

@Cartwright :rofl::joy: Tears in my eyes… laughing so hard… SOOO TRUE. Love the warm-up before pressing play! That laugh made my day! I’m going to start doing that once in ahwile! :zap::v::sunglasses::fire:

☆DJSF

4 Likes

Glad you enjoyed that walk down memory lane. Couldn’t very well tell the guy to eat some paper and enjoy the show :rofl:

3 Likes

5 Likes

pretty rockin right here

5 Likes

Thank a taper today @mota!

6 Likes

Not a day goes by that I am not thankful for tapers and, in most cases, their generosity. d8JBdDJ Definitely enhances my days!

5 Likes

cool little video compilation on this one…I may have left during the encore on Liberty nights…

…but sometimes it’s the message not the song:)

…message received Jer;)

7 Likes

…and this is my favorite tape of a ‘late’ show, that I did not attend. Bruce was, and is the man for what he did for us, and the Dead. Thank you Bruce!!!

Listen to old man Jerry on this BRRB, Bruce had him jumping thru hoops :open_mouth:

ahh, someone will hit play, hot stranger too :wink:

just did brrb again, this time turned all the way up!

7 Likes

I hope @Forest_Organic is getting all of this :slight_smile:

This was my favorite tape to listen to, of a show that I attended.

Couple of odd things about this show, 1. I was on my own the entire show solo yolo :slight_smile: 2. met with el sid on the train into the show. well one odd thing :wink:

I had no weed, but was still buzzing at the opening of set II. I sidle up to a cowshit smokin freak, he hands me the joint, and says BOX → Cold Rain, i sed yur fucked, but thanks for the weed, and moved Jerry side down low.

He was right, not sure how he knew that, really fucked up. I tripped the second set like a schoolkid, cuz I was!!!

Chicken Shack!!!

7 Likes

I don’t listen to much of the late years but I do periodically give this Shakedown Street a spin. I attended this show at Soldier Field in Chicago. They opened with Hell In A Bucket, then launched into this hugely funky (especially for the first set!) jam!

5 Likes

I’ll be the newb with @Forest_Organic I never dove into the deep end because most of what I heard was too bluegrassy for me I guess. But I’ve been warming up to them more the more I listen.

8 Likes