Grow Diary -Wicked Widow by Sensible Seeds

Description updated. In the mite fight I treated 4 days ago by covering the root ball and putting it in a tub and using a Chapin gallon sprayer to spray cold water on it and shake the leaves in the tub. Remove cover and put in front of a fan to blow dry. 18 hours later dusted with DE heavily and brushed it on with a clean 2 inch paint brush. Over and under the leaves. If any leaves are tented or twisted or showing mite damage badly they are removed put in a baggie. Sealed and go out with the trash. I lack an incinerator and no microwave.

Wait a couple days and repeat.

2 Afghani are doing well.One was culled. I dunno if I do anything with these. I wanted to do a open pollenate and get a landrace of them. I don’t have enough for diddly. If they don’t stand out I won’t even bother cloning just flower.

4 Likes

So today I have snapped some pics and will update with them later. I’ll post a reply when the pics are in this reply and just post todays activity to this one comment. It will keep the thread a bit shorter hopefully. I see a lot of threads here well over 600 comments and they are a bear to reply properly to when you first find them/ OP’s please consider summarizing those

As previously noted the 3 Afghani are now 2. They look real well and will soon need pots. Like the next couple days. Don’t want stunt them by leaving them in small cups and depriving them of nutes. but they should be fine for up to about 14 days after breaking ground. I forget how many days but they are getting larger than the cup so time to up pot.

This is the am and they look fine I’m thinking about 7 -8 days above ground.

The ‘Mom’ needs down sizing and the flowering clones are gonna finish soon enough that I need to get ready next one up. Hope I can finish another crop before the RH% hits the 80-90% range. She has a couple leaves shoing the sign of mites. I stuck her in the basement where it’s about 50 degrees for a bit. she will likely stretch in low light but in the low temps not much. I’ll bring her back up later. Don’t want her thinking it’s flower time.

The 2 flowering plants are doing just awesome to have so much against them. I see some gnats again and their is a little yellowing on some of the top leaves but the new leaves all look good it’s all fan leaves and older ones at that. Don’t want to remove many leaves at this point since it has pretty much all it ever will now. There will be new growth of leaves in the buds as they finish though.

This bud set is larger by far than the last time at the same stage. So I checked…these pics are f30 counting from the flip.

I have been following the watering schedule from the link from grasscity—today they got ‘neem/kelp tea’

https://forum.grasscity.com/threads/all-organic-recipes-and-notes-compilation.1421024/

I have that bookmarked and am still reading some of those links at times. My soil was made before I found that recipe but it is the one I intend to use for soil and the watering schedule I am following at the moment.

Mountain Organics said:

Here’s an example of a tried and true watering schedule (because I personally used it for years) to use from day 1 to ensure your plants are being pushed to ‘peak health’ and expressing their full ‘genetic potential.’:

Day 1 Plain water
Day 2 No watering
Day 3 MBP top-dress watered in with Aloe/Fulvic/Silica (agsil or your silica source of choice)
Day 4 No watering
Day 5 Plain water
Day 6 Neem/Kelp tea
Day 7 No watering
Day 8 Plain water
Day 9 No watering
Day 10 Coconut Water
Day 11 No watering

REPEAT - Beginning to end, no changes needed for various stages of growth, simple enough right?

Now for al the reasons previously stated your soil is becoming richer and richer as the water and nutrient retaining ability of your soil improves over time. By the 3rd cycle the plants may already be showing signs that you could back off on the above watering schedule and that can be done any number of ways to best suit your situation. For example, use half the amount of neem/kelp tea and coconut water. Add a couple extra days of plain water in between ‘feedings’, and so on.

As an observant gardener you should be able to notice plants performing equally as well even though you are using less inputs and in the same way you can tell if perhaps you backed off too much from time to time - in this way you can find the “sweet spot” for your garden and when that clicks with you it is very easy from then on to know what your soil needs.

Here’s an example of a watering schedule a couple or few years into established no-till gardens (it happens to be my current routine as well):

• Plain water every other day, beginning to end
  • MBP top-dress every 10-12 days watered with aloe/fulvic/silica

I am on my 3rd round of some of these inputs (MBP) but have not had them all until last round. My reaction to what has transpired since starting on this is just …WOW!!! Please read the link for the complete guide if you are using soil and might want to use that schedule. The ingredients are not all necessary every round at some point since the soil is so healthy and that is not a complete table of inputs since the ratios of somethings are not listed there. Read the manual please.

7 Likes

That’s pretty much the same watering/feed schedule I use. That’s a great thread full of useful information for those willing to read it all.

6 Likes

We have figs too. We pinched them back and started them on that routine. I ate one of the ripe figs yesterday. We have started using it on every potted container. to some degree. Not orchids and cactuses but most of the rest.

And pics are up.

4 Likes

Took some simple cuttings yesterday. Took some pics. These are on a little older wood than usual. Testing some things. Nothing too fancy yet.

Shredded paper and hydrated some coir. 20 gallon air pot and tray with a couple slats to air gap pot and tray. Just need worms now since the compost tumbler has been working since October and should be good to go.

Bought Brandywine tomato seed, chives and baby romas. Plante the chives. My first Brandywine seeds never came up so had to get some different ones. Repotted the rosemary.

Afghan # 1 is a perky little thing with smaller leaves. Afghan #3 has huge fat leaves and sulks a lot if you fiddle with it. The little one likes the attention. #3 also drops leaves hard before lights out.

Been reading of phenotypes and backcrosses and how to get a seed version of a plant you have. Guess I have a project.

4 Likes

Everyone got the coconut water in their water yesterday. I would have to buy another container of it and it will be their first input I drop I expect. The quart is about 1/3 full now so could go another round easy. All of my plants have responded well to the watering schedule posted above. These are just container plants potted in bagged soil for the most part and they have all taken well to the schedule and the soil holds water longer.

Mulching everything in every container and it also helps retain the water. 4 regular cuttings doing well and a raft cutting has been attempted. Will likely do another and start a composting thread as soon as I get some worms.

I need to up pot some tomatoes and get some more started. Have up potted both Afghan’s and they look nice so far.

The two flowering plants are now at f37 from the flip, they were both in the shower yesterday to wash away any mites and the DE that I dusted them with two days ago. Sprayed buds and leaves both and washed away the DE filtered/distilled water and had made a cold brewed tea of dill rosemary and lavender leaves that I added about a cup of to a gallon sprayer. This was what I washed them down with just before lights out. Also dried in front of a fan.

The branches have too much torque to continue long this way with the flowers on the lolly-popped ends.

4 Likes

Plain water today. The regular clones look healthy. Got some label sticks for everyone.

Of the two Afghan’s both are looking more robust every day. The little one is showing some leaf mutations I have never seen. The fan leaves are sometimes coming in with extra fingers stacked in the middle of the leaf.

The 2 flowering girls are looking pretty hefty. Guess I can’t technically call it ‘stacking’ eh? Not if I trained to lean over?

Might not be able to get it all in them 2 quart jars if this keeps up.

8 Likes

Sure ya can though every time I see someone says, " she is stacked up!" I envision boobs though if someone says, " stacking up" I envision a leaning pile of dishes :stuck_out_tongue:

They are looking delicious btw :wink:

3 Likes

Why thank you ma’am. I trimmed that 1/8 inch off the tops as you suggested since the timing seemed perfect. They’ve stretched enough and if it helps them backfill …well awesome!

Everything gets malted barley powder (henceforth MBP) with
1/4 cup aloe juice (self made)
1 tsp ArmorSi
1 tsp Fulvex
in a gallon of filtered water.

2 gallons made and most of it went into the 2 flowering girls. Up potted a tomato today. Removed the ziplock domes on the clones and moistened the soil with some mist. I aim for the side of the cup so I don’t hit/hurt the plant. Then re-covered. They look good. I’ll add a pic when I have a few minutes.

3 Likes

All the worms were dead. Stuck to the newspaper. Maybe he stuck it on the dash and ran the defroster all the way here? Might have been 12 in the pkg. Foolish me took it down there and opened it up right on the bin and dumped it without even taking a pic. The ones I saw were just dried completely out and it did not spend any time outside. I can only hope there were a few eggs or that the other one ships some soon. I watered it all good anyway…just in case.

I have the figs and other plants of my wifes on a different watering schedule. So I don’t have to obtain water for everyone at once. It does mean I have to water every day though. Still since beginning the soil drenches/schedule I’ve posted previously the water retention of the soil and it’s overall condition is noticeably healthier. I am seeing days off on both sets of plants as the humidity comes up and the soil improves. OTOH some things are taking more water per turn. Both of the flowering girls are at almost a gallon ea. Up from about half a gallon when flowers were put on.

She has been growing figs in containers for about 3+ years. She had never tasted one of the varieties she had chosen to grow yet. So since I started the figs on this journey along with everyone else they have set loads of fruit. Part of that is we had to pinch them back and the fruit was forming after. But for a month they never did anything. One dropped as the soil got dry.

So about 5 days ago we tasted Brooklyn White. These taste like nothing so much as straight sugar/nectar. There is a ‘little’ cantaloupe flavor. But I probably wouldn’t have noticed had she not informed me.

Yesterday St.Rita had a fruit get over ripe and it was eaten. These have a nice little strawberry/guava jam flavor going on.

We have yet to try Chicago Hardy .

And then there are 3 new ones ready for pots. Vert, Vista and Sucrette.

One of the Hillbilly tomato plants died off and another looks to be on it’s way out. They were isolated. The remaining 3 are doing well. And there are 4 Brandywine sprouted now.

The aloe I split into two pots and I had taken a piece from one leaf to make my first batch with aloe. I got enough to make two drenches and I would just as soon skip one to let the aloe catch up before using so much.

The Wicked Widow cuttings are coming along nicely and it is time to harden them off the domes little by little. The cloudy days are perfect and I took the covers off for about an hour today. One wilted just a bit. Covered them again.

As they get a root system they will push up those tops. Have to make sure they don’t dry out though.

4 Likes

Busy garden there. I’ve never seen the inside of a fresh fig before lol, looks tasty!

2 Likes

I’m bugging out about these mites! It pisses me off to see the little buggers dancing on my pistils and waving. I want to stick them in a walkin cooler for about 30 minutes and spray them with cold water then let them dry in there.Hell I want to put two electrodes in there and pass 2000 volts and fry them all

But then I might hurt the babies. :frowning:

3 Likes

Man with that tight of internode spacing I’ll bet that was one bushy bitch!

3 Likes

It was. Love the way this thing throws flowers everywhere. Stem rubs a little fruity a little citrusy. On the 2 clones one of them the bottom branch is almost a third of the plant. Still 3 weeks I think to go

1 Like

That’s disappointing to hear about your worms does the vender give any sort of guarantee on healthy works delivered?

1 Like

Jamie negotiated that…she just got home today. they put her on Eliquis for clots. We haven’t had time to look into it but without pics I doubt it.

1 Like

Put a fan on the cabinet and sifted DE into the air flow just before lights out. Brushed into the leaves. I have a lot to accomplish tomorrow(today) and this is about all I can now do unless it becomes an emergency.

1 Like

Well the two clones in 5 gallon pots are close to chop time now. The leaves aren’t fading hard yet though so no rush unless it’s to avoid more mites. At the moment they are under control.

Have a great 4/20 all!

9 Likes

Chopped. took 4 gallons of filtered water and squeezed a whole lime in it. In a five gallon bucket I submerged each plant for about 10-12 minutes and then rinsed them under the sprayer with cold water. They are now air drying once dry to the touch I will hang to dry the rest of the way. I don’t have enough fridge space to do it that way though I prefer that when drying. When dry enough to jar I will take a weigh in since there won’t be much weight loss at that point.

Sure does smell good atm :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Congrats! Let me know how she smokes after.

Did you trim wet or dry?

2 Likes