Grow room questions

I’m about to remodel a room on the back of my studio. I have about 21 by 9 foot lean to room with concrete floor.and insulation electric and sheet roll wall and ceiling
I can isolate up to 16 or less.feet
The current idea is to make either a room about 12 by 9 or 8.by 9
If i.made it 12.by 9.i could put up.a. black out curtain and be able to work back there without exposing plants to light? Maybe have a 4 foot area to work And put the plants in a 8 by 9 area?
I have some. New.lights.coming and a fan and filter that I have never used. It would be relatively easy to run water to the room although putting in a drain will be a job
I have some electricity outlets back there already.
Although not.many

7 Likes

One thing to remember RE: Outlets is that (at least in the US) they recommend not drawing more than 1500 watts from a single outlet, so consider the power needs of your light fixtures, fans, dehumidifiers, etc, and where you plan to place them in case you need to split your consumption across two outlets.

Edit: Typo

6 Likes

Always bigger if you can. I find myself always needing more space or wishing I had more space. I’ve been in small quarters since I started growing and I’m finally getting into a 550sqft space. I know by the time I’m in in I’ll wish I had 1000sqft haha

Take pics for sure. Always exciting to see a room/build come together! Good luck!

Good call here… I actually split every wall in my garage to be on its own circuit as well as added a couple of dedicated 20amp circuits for specific standalone items with heavy draw.

10 Likes

Should you put in any new electric only use 20AMP breaker and 12 Gauge wire. Should you have any electrical questions you can DM me and I will help out. I am a Master electrician and a Double EE Please don’t hesitate.

12 Likes

@OhNo555
Thanks very.much

1 Like

You got it brother :sunglasses: :peace_symbol:

In regards to continuous loads, is it still the “industry standard” to derate the load to 80%?
(i.e. instead of assuming you can load to 1500W you only load to 1200W)
My understanding was this was necessary to prevent nuisance trips.

Cheers
G

5 Likes

I believe this to be true.
I never exceeded 80% of my wattage per breaker for a continuous load.

2 Likes

OCPD in accordance with the NEC say 80% load on it. Also there are many other factors such a volt ampere ft’. Local jurisdictions have the overall say so and the NEC only sets minimums. Also a continuous load should be on a dedicated circuit. That would always be my recommendation for no problems ever. Electrical code is sometimes tricky and hard to interpret. All great points that you guys made. :+1::sunglasses::peace_symbol:

3 Likes

ventilation is also a major requirement for humidity & temp control, make sure to include it in the build. also if you only use a curtain for separation, depending on what type grow you are doing. pollination both wanted and unwanted will be a challenge. i have had undetected herms and males really affect the final bud. due to lack of proper seperation and ventilation. best wishes for your project. like grand pa use to say “do it right and you only have to do it once” :wink:

4 Likes