Growin’ hemp with Lefty (BaOx, Syrian, Lebanese)

OK guys, scoot over.

3 Likes

Glad to see some more people messing around with CBD! @bunny (throws an elbow) Make some more room damn it!

3 Likes

Very cool, I’ll be watching this one to see how that BaOx does, got a couple of crosses of those from SHN/Best Coast that I have sitting in the fridge. Also neat to see someone growing something from Hoku, I have been eyeing their selections and am pretty into their whole “landraces and alternative cannabinoids” thing.

3 Likes

Ditto! I enjoy CBD and probably should have grown some a long time ago. I’m especially interested in THCV as well, and generally in the RSC Syrian strain.

@Floyd @bunny @bassman5420 @Gpaw @TopicalWave glad to have you all on board. Wasn’t sure how much interest there would be in hemp and mixed cannabinoid strains, but I figured if I’m interested there must be others.

Everything is going to be new. New strains, new grow methods, new media, new nutrient formula. It’s certain to be a disaster, but with a little luck it might all turn out great. :laughing:

16 Likes

Why no seeds? Always thought you made seed.

I got one going myself.

Bunny’s Mad Misshapes. (CBD with a sprinkling of other adventures) - Overgrow.com

2 Likes

Looking forward to this!

Got any sneak peeks at the buckets?

1 Like

Cool! I’ll check it out.

I just got my drip components today since everything was jammed up in the mail. Hopefully this week I’ll start getting it setup. If you’re familiar with a regular bucket-style flood and drain system, it will basically move the feed from a bottom feed, where it fills a control bucket to a top feed with drippers. The nutrient level will be set very low (the bottom ~1" of the coco pot). The ‘fill’ setting will be on all day and off all night, so that if the plant wicks up enough from the bottom, it feeds again from the top. And because I’m using a top feed, I will use a high aeration coco/perlite as the medium.

This should allow the plants to determine when to feed themselves, by sucking up enough nutrient from the bottom to cause the float switch to top feed again.

In all likelihood, I probably will. I’m just not committing myself to it yet. :smiley:

8 Likes

Hell ya bud! Definitely into hemp/cbd, cbg, cbc, cbn. I did a trade the other day and there are some CBDv seeds in there as well that will be showing up. Never tried THCv isolate or flower (not sure if the THCv hemp seeds are in mass rotation yet). I am planning on doing a big breeding project over the next few years. The plan is to make a number of tasty CBD:THC strains that will land in the ratios I am after/use daily. Usually we mix/use CBD and THC rosin in the 2:1-4:1 CBD:THC ratio Should be pretty fun and I will be looking for people I can send the crosses to that will want to grow them out and possibly assist/help in my endeavor . Cant wait to see how things go over there, keep us updated! :+1:

4 Likes

Sounds great! I’ll be interested in seeing your creations in the works. CBDV is a curious one. I’m wondering if there might be some in there BaOx x Syrians

4 Likes

Vegging up – not much to see yet. I’ve 5x BaOx x Syrian started on the bottom from Hoku Seed. All sprouted and came up nicely. The BaOx fems on the top are getting nice and big. I love the look.

13 Likes

Every great story needs a beginning, some foreshadowing, some time to get to know the characters and setting. I want to hear the whole thing myself, as I know you are a good storyteller. :wink:

2 Likes

Been following from the beginning. Sorry I’m only posting now, hope everybody doesn’t smack me on the back of the head all at the same time, lol.

Super interested and excited in seeing some hemp grow!! Can’t wait to see what those BaOx fems and BaOx x Syrian bring to the table!! Looking great so far, nice growth! :smiley:

4 Likes

The BaOx are coming along very nicely. They seem to be super tolerant and easy growing. I just wish everything was at the same stage, but I’ll get it sorted out. I want to take some cuts off the BaOx anyway, so maybe it’s good they’re a little ahead.

9 Likes

Just in the nick of time, I got the parts I needed to finish my drip setup. The Baox were in desperate need of transplant. I’m back in coco! Royal Gold Tupur with an extra 2 gals of perlite per 2cuft bag to make it about a 60/40 mix. I rolled the root balls around in some VAM on transplant. It’s old stuff… from 2018. Hopefully still some activity.

I got 4 BaOx females, 2 look really nice and one is really stanky. I transplanted 2x Willy G lebanese. One had a bit of a weak stem and it split a little bit at the bottom. I’m not sure it’s going to make it, but I dumped some VAM in the wound. :joy:

I’ve got some BaOx x Syrian that still need about 2 weeks of veg. That’ll give me time to grow up the other plants and get some clones.

18 Likes

So far things seem to be going ok for the new hybrid hempy system. This week right after transplant I think was the most challenging point, since they cycle time is long until they fill out pots. But they seemed to be reasonably happy through it all.

It’s been very dry here. My tent sensor read 77F / 25% RH this morning, which is obviously not ideal. They should get quite a bit bigger this week and that should help increase the humidity.

The sideways picture with the longer leaf fingers is my favorite of the Willy G Lebanese. The other Willy G isn’t as vigorous, and I may cull it later. I accidentally broke the stem a little bit when I transplanted it, so its recovering… but we’ll if I even want to hang onto it. I’m kinda hoping the better looking Willy G turns out to be a male. The BaOx from triangle hemp are looking nice, and also smell good. In another week, I’ll probably take some cuts from my favorites.

Meanwhile, I still have some little ones (BaOx x Syrian) racing to catch up. When I transplant them in with the bigger plants, they might take a bit of a hit. They have a bit of the wavy leaf, which I think is from the Syrian side. Probably about a week and a half to two weeks from now they should be ready to transplant.

18 Likes

Things are developing pretty well so far. Most of the BaOx look pretty healthy. I’m starting to up the potassium a bit 140 → 180ppm and reduce the calcium slightly 165 → 150ppm. I added in a little more magnesium to boost them from 55 → 65ppm and they seem to have responded well.

The last picture is the better Willy G Lebanese… showing typical phosphorus problems. Petioles are red, lower leaves are pale green and upper leaves are bluish green. I increased the phosphorus slightly from 60 → 70ppm and shifted more of the balance to orthophosphate, which is in roughly 70/30 ortho/poly now. Some day I’ll get these plants nailed down lol. Orthophosphates uptake more quickly, so hopefully shifting around the ratios will help.

I’m gonna veg these a little longer, and take cuts from some of the BaOx. The ones in the first two pics are my favorite, with the one in the upper right being the best so far. All of the Triangle Hemp BaOx are expressing double serration. None of the BaOx x Syrian are showing double serrations, but are also only about 4-5 nodes tall so far.

I’m transplanting the BaOx x Syrians today. They really don’t seem to like being rootbound at all.

18 Likes

Top pic we have all the BaOx. I’m going to take cuts of a few tomorrow. The lower right plant is a different pheno than the other 3 – more BLD and shorter. It’s also not quite as happy as the others. I think these are gonna get big when i start flowering them.

On the bottom, the BaOx x Syrians are the short ones. They’re getting big enough for me to start flowering them all now. The Lebanese is pretty short and NLD. It’s a cute plant… a bit finicky like other Lebanese.

22 Likes

Into Flowering

A couple days ago, I started these into flowering. I am really liking the Triangle Hemp BaOx (the 4 on the left in the first picture). They have really prolific bud sites, and have an amazing stank. I took cuts of the two leftmost plants.

The really NLD plant is the Willy G, which also looks quite nice. The last ones are the BaOx / Syrians, which are much more BLD than the rest of the plants and more apical. One of them I’m 99% sure is a male, and everything else in the tent is a female.

I have 2 more BaOx/Syrians, in my male tent, one of which is a male and the other is undetermined. I’ve just started tucking the fan leaves to help promote the branching. They’re a little more apical. In the next couple days, I’ll need to do a rotation.

I lied and I’m going to make crosses. :joy: I like these plants, and Lebanese, Syrian and Hindu Kush are all my jam. I just can’t pass it up.

24 Likes

Some seriously nice plants in there @lefthandseeds, great growth! :grinning: Good size to flip too, can’t wait to see how they flower for you. Great branching on those Triangle Hemp BaOx too, wish I could smell the stank on em :drooling_face:

tenor
Lol

I’d love to grow any of the seeds you make outside this year, need more THCV and CBD in my life.

8 Likes