Growing reg seeds without pollenating the females

I’ve always grown with fems unless using bag seeds on occasion if I find something I like. The last grow was bag seeds and the ladies were pollinated because I waited too long. I’ve since grown a decent collection of beans. Ultimately, I’d like to cross breed, but in the meantime I have some lemons I want to get going first. They’re reg seeds and I don’t want to pollinate any females. Any suggestions on when to pull to avoid pollination? Could really use a 4x9 or 5x10 tent to make life easier, but here we are… currently using my 5x5 Gorilla

4 Likes

Kill the males bromigo

5 Likes

about a week or so after flipping the lights it will be very obvious.

4 Likes

Males are usually 1st to show there sex, it’s easily identified don’t sweat about it.

If you’re unsure post some pics and the folk’s here will keep you right.

During veg you can clip a shoot off and put in a glass of water and flip that, that let’s you know the sex beforehand.

8 Likes

Appreciate it guys! I think I just waited too long to kill the males last round. I’ve always gone from 24 to 12/12. Might be a dumb question, but any thoughts on going from 24 to 18/6 before 12/12 to catch the sex and reduce the chance of pollinating?

1 Like

I’d think they’d show presex in 24 or 18/6 no issues. You could also be getting herms that are pollinating your grows.

2 Likes

Plants should show gender starting 25 days into veg. Some need 30. Some need 55. Just look at the nodes as they get that old. If you flip, they’ll show within the first two weeks. Pollen will usually start dropping by day 19-21 or so

6 Likes

There’s a big lag between male flowers showing up and pollen being released. There’s absolutely no risk, just remove the males as they become obvious.

5 Likes

Interesting, I wonder if it was stress I put on the plants from the bag seeds I ran last time. I’ve never had this issue before, but the buds were riddled with seeds. I travel a lot for work and had a couple times where I physically couldn’t get back in time and I think it may have put a lot of stress on the ladies. The entire crop was toast. Had some nice phenos too, but I doubt I’ll ever run those seeds from it.

Torn between running some G-rind, PB Sunrise, or Chimera beans this next go round. Ultimate goal atm will be to get some crosses going with some genetics from Beleaf, thugpug or 3rd coast

1 Like