Growing With Mr.Sparkle : 2023

I’m gonna glue my eyeballs to this thread like the foil on the walls of Mr.Sparkle’s beautifully handcrafted cabinets :heart_eyes:
Excellent breakdown and detail on everything you have going @Mr.Sparkle :grinning: I look forward to following along, learning a ton, liking posts, commenting…and maybe dropping a gif or 2 :grin::joy:

11 Likes

Day 79/51

The Ogreberry ill be chopping this week sometime the couple seeds ive plucked thats on the plant are good enough, Also those 24k x Glos are also finishing up on there own means, that back right plant still has some time though, either way just threw straight water into their reservoirs this morning.

Also planted some seeds though not confident they will all pop up, and waiting for a few more to crack which im also not confident on but they are old seeds so ill take whatever comes from them, in the mean time need to decide on what autos to run next and get them soaking.

44 Likes

Do you plant directly in the medium same as I do @Mr.Sparkle??
I’ve tried germination in tissue in the past but found putting seeds directly into the medium the results between the two are negligible and not worth the extra effort. :v:

10 Likes

Heh, the 2023 Sparkle show. I love it.

@Esrgood4u, lately I’ve been sticking them in the dirt directly. no troubles so far.

:green_heart:

8 Likes

Same soil works great, og mother nature techniques :v:

7 Likes

Directly In the dirt is as nature intended. I sometimes find myself digging around in the medium looking for the seed to find a root poking out the shell. :+1:

5 Likes

I do a soak/float in water with some h202 in it till they throw tails then plant directly, only time i have issues is with recycled coco and where the bacteria in it is to strong for the seeds before they can take off, otherwise use to do the paper towel method which works also works at me breaking off tap roots lol.

8 Likes

I’ve tried re using my coco before. Wasn’t for me.
I just dump all my waist from my grows roots and all into my back garden. Let it break down and turn the soil and make sure it’s mixed well. Means come the summer I can usually just drop seeds directly into the soil and just water using a hose.
Excited to see what your grow area produces this year. I’ll be following as usual.

6 Likes

When my coco was a bit coarser it worked well for 3ish cycles, current stuff is alot finer and adding a little perlite in for it plus i try and get out as much of the old roots as possible and let it all sit at least a cycle before reuse.

Gonna start some autos tonight just dont expect the current seeds to all or even some pop up, may ill get two plants 4 if im lucky, we will see.

8 Likes

That’s why it’s not for me :rofl:

6 Likes

It looks like 2023 is off to a good start in Mr. Sparkle’s home!
I’m dialled in and loading a big bowl for the show!
:wink:

7 Likes

Day 82/54

Gonna chop the old one and 24k x glo’s today, and then look over the other but i think it still needs a bit more time.

Also only two up out of the photos i started, old seeds likely the cause… and planted some autos that busted out some tails this morning with some more following once there a bit bigger, and ill get some more seeds dunked as well.

33 Likes

Day 56

Just letting the one run a bit longer, chopped the rest and we have a couple seedlings popping up.

30 Likes

Day 58/0

Lost a couple seedlings, but half expected in recycled coco being a bit more active bacteria and mold wise. The older plants ready for a chop plus have some more seedlings to get some pots filled up for.

34 Likes

you ever think of using something like this Coco Coir Plantable Pots for Seed and Cuttings by PlantBest filled with fresh new coco and then use the old re used coco in the bigger pots and then transplant these directly into them ? might save you on the seedling losses. i also see these at local dollar stores

4 Likes

I have some starter cells that i could do just that with and have fresh coco the tap roots though bottom out within about 2 days but yeah doing so would cause less issues.

As for those pots ive used them and other say peat base ones as well but a big one here none of them are really directly plantable IMO as their compressed nature in order for them to get to a state where roots can truly break through they have to be kept in a very saturated state to the point to where it causes issues and if you dont then the roots only really go out the drain hole if there is one, like ive pulled them out of garden plots at the end of the season still mainly in their entire form , but i found just removing said pots and direct planting to be better in that case.

14 Likes

awesome thanks for the info i never used them before and now i know what i need to do incase i ever do!

3 Likes

Day 3
Some seedlings are up on the one side and bunch more seeds planted though i don’t expect them all to come up, in the mean time ill be starting some more seeds.

30 Likes

As usual @Mr.Sparkle, your grow is immaculate cuz! Looking forward to watching this lol

7 Likes

I’m in the front row with @JohnnyPotseed, can’t wait to see you fill these cabs @Mr.Sparkle!! :star_struck:
20230114_203828

11 Likes