Growing with Mr.Sparkle : Trials & Progression 2020

I prefer the longer format myself. :+1::seedling:

8 Likes

I like the longer, yearly format myself.

Cheers Johnny

3 Likes

The longer format is greatā€¦ my suggestion is - donā€™t change a thing! :sunglasses: :+1:
(Iā€™ve been thinking about switching over myself)

Cheers
G

2 Likes

I like the longer ones aswell. It would be difficult keeping up with one for every individual run lol

2 Likes

especially if i happen to kill them off every three weeks lol

@TerpSneeze Linking like & did there may be the route i go just need to put more effort into it but would streamline things even for myself when back referencing.

7 Likes

Think were at the start of that time againā€¦ That being stretch time, im expecting some flops in the next bit forsure.

yesterday on the left, 23hrs later on the right.

16 Likes

Ooh coming right along!
Whatā€™s that tall one in the back left? She looks like sheā€™s got a super thick stem going onā€¦ Like the structure on her too.

1 Like

All of them are the Poisoned Rose Cookie Devils, that back left does have a thick stem and seems like it will be an earlier finisher and stretchiest of the bunch so far, bulk wise the back right has already surpass it just hasnā€™t stretched or started budding as much yet.

5 Likes

Hereā€™s the cookie devil (left) and poisoned rose cookie devil (right) I have going. The PRCD definitely shot up overnight. Was behind the whole time until flowering then grew to 4 times the size of the cookie devil.

11 Likes

Yeah the Poisoned Rose from @ReikoX that i used had that take of ability and what had impressed me with it, the cookie devils were always a compact and quick finisher for me, so it makes sense that what were seeing with the stretchier taller ones expressing on the PR side, the short stocky ones being CD expressions, and the light colored ones obviously the Dark Spark traits are powering through.

Though that just my assumption at the moment till i personally grow out so more, and see more of what other peoples plants are doing.

Thanks for the pics @YoungDad420 always interesting to see what they do under other peopleā€™s care.

11 Likes

Day 25/16/2

The left side i turned up the light for all of yesterday just to see if it was an early veg start of flower thing and they were fine all yesterday but this morning looks like signs of light stress again, so they got turned down to 75w again, also did some bottom plant cleanup and the back left top got a flop yesterday which its already pointing up again, i expect to be doing the rest over the next bit just to even out the plants so the side branches can catch up.

Right side is well you can see, lemon pies are growing the back one has some pollen sacs forming so iā€™m just gonna leave it till i get pollen off of it will probably get bumped to that third chamber as it gets closer in a week or two. The other is slow going compared to the left chamber but mind you the pot size is 1/2 to 1/3 the size so probably expecting too much.

As for the 16 day old Purple Kushes yeah they had a really rough start, only one of them looks alright but considering there age they are definitely lagging, iā€™ll be holding onto them though till the little ones surpass them or i want the space, also did some bottom clean up on all the plants on that side as well.

Other than that also started some Dark Spark Fuzz seeds to multiplant in some 5.5" square pots that ill be throwing into the new chamber, just plan to hand water for now till i decide what i want to do watering setup wise, as Iā€™m on the fence as to pick up another ikea kuggis box like my others just cause Iā€™ll have a harder time putting in and removing especially with any leftover water in it, also takes away some height and i wouldnā€™t mind trying some taller pots for now, so may do a smaller side setup or something.

16 Likes

This purple kush i tried, and gave to a buddy seemed to lag behind aswell. I assumed my neglect and his skill level were the reason. But 8f you canā€™t get em growing the rest may just be bird seed lol

6 Likes

well wont know till they grow out, also something to be said about certain autos and tap root depth as some varietyā€™s which from my own experience are typically close crossings to lowryders as soon as they hit bottom they just stop and hold up and go into flower, all them do that to a certain extent but some are alot more drastic than others and with my small containers come day 2 they have usually hit bottom, so only time will tell.

12 Likes

@Mr.Sparkle, Those are stretching faaast! What signs do you see when your plants are first light stressed? Are you referring to fading over time or the leaves curling? If you have a photo of them under stress it would be nice to see :slight_smile: I also had light stress issues in my last grow and am wanting to fill my head with as many light stress photos as possible so I can catch it early in future.

3 Likes

No i donā€™t have any specific photos of it and its a bit more elusive whether im right or not as it shows up as other issues also im still trying to narrow down all the signs if it is the case.

The easiest sign if present which ive been finding is more later stage is if say you pull the plant out and look at it from a downward viewpoint say from a position where your light source would be all the leaves that a direct exposed to the light take on a faded, lighter, and or yellow hue but say the portion of the leaves that get shaded by another leaf or are closer into the stem where they may only get light from one direction those are of a darker complexion, issue though is this happens normally just is alot more noticeable as though outward edges look to be hindered or struggling.

Other signs are say later day leaf drooping so long as your watering is fine, like for myself say my lights go off at 10pm, it could be 6-8pm and they will already be drooped out if my light levels seem to be too high as i can literally turn down the light for the next day and they will remain perky pretty much up to just before lights out, but if high they just shut down super early.

Another thing that i have seen mentioned of and it does at least seem present for me although i canā€™t rule it out as other issues yet is certain deficiencies start popping up specifically Mag and P deficiencies, but this is a hard one if true specifically for me and autos as when they show the plant could be going through a hormone change as far as switching from veg to flower or whatever.

What first led me onto possible light saturation issues was a few runs back had a bunch of young and mid age plants that were just miserable and droopy all the time, i thought it was mainly over/underwatering issues and a certain factor of air roots vs water roots or having pots with a stagnant perched water table, now some of these were issues but still no matter what i did they were unhappy plants, eventually got so pissed at them i opted to cull them but for whatever reason ā€œwas super busyā€ they ended up sitting on my counter for 2 days, well woke up on the morning of that second day and all the plants were the perkiest they had ever been praying and everything, needless to say made me consider and start thinking that i may be giving them too much light and ended up throwing them back in my cabs under reduced light and they were good after that.

So honestly i donā€™t know if this truly the main issue or just part of it, but the plants were drooping and showing some yellow on the extremities and got worse the closer to the light those parts of the plant were, with some lower Cal and P issues seeming to pop up, but turned down the light and they perk up so yeah its just where its leading me.

The thing thatā€™s been throwing me for a loop though is at one point i was able to run at these high or higher levels power wise but i was also using a different light at the time though the efficiency and light output should be roughly comparable so it doesnā€™t make sense as the plants have been saying otherwise anyways asked @ReikoX to grab some measurements for me when he had some free time to either help muddle my situation or narrow it down better, just havenā€™t pestered him in chat about it :wink: lol ā€¦ but yeah either what i thought was comparable light wise isnā€™t or something else is up as well thats putting some extra stressors on my plants.

Just donā€™t have that proverbial smoking gun yet, other than giving them less light makes them happier.

13 Likes

Wow! reading your post above is like reading my own experiences. That is what i found. Where I got caught out is that there is the standard rating of 35W/sq ft for LEDs. However, I did not think about the fact that the 35W/sq ft has been around since LEDs started to get good. However, they have improved in efficiency so much since then so 35W/sq ft at the wall is a lot more intensity of light than what it used to be. These new LEDs need to be revised so we can get an up to date figure.
I also had the situation where it starts to cause deficiencies which is what misled me. It started getting a slight fade late in veg. I would be looking for deficiencies and eventually the plant looks yellow when looking at it from the top. I have a lot of depth to my tent and can give my plants 4 foot space from the lights and still get toxicity at 37W/sq ft. I think a more accurate rating for these new LEDs is about 30W/sq ft for tall grow spaces and 25W/sq ft for short/small grow spaces.

8 Likes

Well other things can be at play too, as really Liebigā€™s law of minimums something could be to a low point where that higher intensity light source is causing issues in itself as itā€™s too much.

Also I agree the lights are getting more efficient and those recommendations will have to get lower in time in order for them to match also that whats out there as popular or regurgitated knowledge may be quite a bit overstated as the habit of ā€œif a little is good then more is betterā€ happens and it kinda daisy chains the further from the source that info gets.

Myself Iā€™ve been trying to equate the levels Iā€™m seeing using lux values from my meter readings and using conversions vs recommended par values ā€œumol/s/m2ā€ and trying to equate in my day lengths ā€œ18/6ā€ to give DLI approximations, obviously there is possibility for error in all that though for my hang heights ,space, day length and all that it puts me in that 20-25w/sqft range with my lights, but that would be considered optimum levels, before lack of already raised co2 levels ā€œindoorā€ come into play where more would be needed.

All that said I think that 30-35w/sqft range still holds true for say flowering photos at ā€œoptimalā€ levels though itā€™s defintely getting more and more efficient as time goes on, flip side to that is Iā€™ve seen some impressive examples of low wattage ā€œsub 10-15w/sqftā€ growing with high yields, just alot of height and space was needed for it.

9 Likes

SolStrips x4 running at ~120W gave me 58745 max lux at 6", 34937 max lux at 12"
Eb Gen2 x4 running at ~55W gave me 24253 max lux at 6", 13137 max lux at 12"
Using my Samsung S9+ as the lux meter.

10 Likes

Man this is what iv been trying to look into recently :joy: what i keep hearing is even if i lower the watt sqft that ill hit a similar gpw (to use a basic term) so that lowering the wattage isnt worth it. Im planning on testing this with a 100w and 150w bridgelux eb3 setup in 2ft cubes.

3 Likes

Thanks for those yeah, me running at the same levels w/sqft wise has me at those same approximate levels using both a meter and an a70 which is closest to your S9+ for comparison, so lights are comparable as originally i figured.

4 Likes