Growing with Mr.Sparkle : Trials & Progression 2020

Makes sense, i just figure that space vs wattage especially how im growing trying to go as low as possible id be going from 232w getting 215g in a 2x2x4 into two 2x2x2 (same space) and potentially getting 350g for 250w total.

Dunno if you need more input on the grow temps but my top box hits 32-38c at plant pot level when i check the temps and the plants seem happy.

1 Like

For sure. I have also been learning super soil in a second 4x4 tent in the same room. However, I am finding it hard to build up my stock currently while learning the organics. I might set up a second DWC setup in that tent (something I am familiar with) so I can experiment with the temp in one while I make sure I still get a successful grow in the other. A comparison of sorts. The only significant difference between the tents would be the LEDs. One tent has 2 x Mars Hydro SP3000’s and the other has an equivalent wattage Solstrip rig. I currently am growing out all the genetics I have including my mothers as TMV made its way into my grow space. It should be all finished up in about 3 weeks. Then I have to do a full reset of the room and start over with new seeds and mothers. So I should be ready to start the comparison grow with new clones in about 3 months I think.

3 Likes

Well been grabbing temps through out the day and yesterday for mine just to get base line as i switched things up yesterday but will say the plants are looking even happier than they were this morning, so even though to early to truly call it i will say i think were onto things now. Leaf temps are 28-29C with my fan setpoint being 32C at the moment it was at 27C with leaf temps being lower than that. Also had to change my humidity setpoint VPD wise as higher air temps warrant higher RH percentages, but its been mainly bouncing off the temp setpoint.

6 Likes

At least enough results to further pursue. Very promising. The thing is I am kind of kicking myself. I have read so many times before about LEDs needing to run at higher temps but only a degree or two. I didn’t think to try running my tent as high as 32C. When you see your poor babies frying the alarm bells go off at the thought of raising your temps. However, so much is starting to fall into place in my mind during this conversation. This path has been travelled so many times before by others but the path is getting further and further away from the HID path as LEDs keep getting more efficient.

5 Likes

in my closet, light is approx 20 inches from the top colas. temp on the colas has been 23-24C/ 74-76F area is 5sq ft and 135W +24w far red panel. fan at lowest.

2 Likes

Day 28/5

Things have definitely pickup due to the changes and just more time.

Ended up doing a pluck trim job this morning taking out lower old crowded fan leaves and pluck a lot of sucker buds, just personal preference as id rather have then energy focused to the top for easier to trim and bigger buds than dealing with the little stuff at the sake of potential yield and re leveled the canopy.

Leftside did the same to the right but trimmed nodes of the eventual pollen bearign plant jsut focusing on the nodes that will give me some nice pollen, hindsight spraying CS a little later would of been more ideal also culled the lagging purple kushes as they just had a rough start, will say megacrop two part on the veg mixture i don’t think was as ideal for me with autos apart from the other issues, just gonna try the late veg/early flower equal parts mixture instead and run it a little on the weaker side for the first res fill it will i think just be a bit softer and provide everything needed and new seedlings look good, also have some SBR x DD seeds in the empty pots will be a couple days before some start poking up, no actual plan with them just knew i had some space coming up and there were 6 seeds left so if something interesting comes out of it ill use it some how.

As for the third chamber, a breeder talk vid that @ReikoX shared with we got me excited to run some Dark Spark “fuzz’s” which i actually want to hunt down its pussy willow like growth characteristic for sheer fun, they are multi-planted in 5.5.in pots “1.5liters or so” with some promix potting soil i had and will be hand watered for the first while till i do something automated watering wise, also turned up the light to get to some levels i wanted to try, wattage wise its running at 40w and is 1.3sqft

This morning

After some work.

Floor pile of trimmings

And the New Cab

21 Likes

New shiny breeding cab looks good. I have yet to try my willow version I had in my last lot of DS I may give it a go later today, it should be ready bye now.

I have beer brewing in my breeding cab atm, the temps have dropped considerably this week, and the basement has got chilly. Even putting the driver in the veg tent with the light a few days ago, seems to have made no difference in raising the temps. The beer has about 2 weeks left, I am priming it with sugar and bottling it up today, then I am going to stick the spare Oger female and the male in there and test it properly.

3 Likes

thanks, and yeah my extractions fans are barely on, actually they toggle on and off to maintain the higher temps, if they were running constant even at the lowest setting i wouldn’t be able to maintain the higher temps.

Also that willow pheno im totally against from a production stand point, but for something fun and i see a point where it could be a nice decorative and usable plant that could totally be put in flower beds without looking obvious and having there own nice look to them. Mind you indoor vs outdoor at the moment but doesn’t mean i cant hunt traits now then when the time comes work on outdoor adaptation.

6 Likes

Day 30/7/0

Monday morning update.

Left side cab swapped the two plants on the left just because they fit better that way and allows me to work on the now front plant as it needed a little canopy adjustment and is still going through with that, the others are fine till they get packed and need a defoliation if they do.

Right side is moving along it has less humidity than the other side as it doesn’t have as much foliage to feed that, have some pollen pods growing on the sprayed plant and the other lemon pie is lack luster but could just be a rough start. Also have the 3 purple kushes doing alright hopefully they pick up the pace as they should in the next couple of day, and we have 6 new DD x SBR seedlings having there day 0 which i have no actual plans for, just gonna see what we get and fit them in with the odd cull that will be needed for that.

Also have 10 DarkSpark Fuzz’s up for a day 0 as well in the third cab, center one on the left is lagging behind though.

13 Likes

Day 32/9/2

Left cab doing well, may bend over the apex buds that are poking up again on each plant and then just defoliation when things get crowded.

Right side cab, the lemon pie’s res ran empty this morning changed it out just now the leftovers however were at 2.15ec at 5.6pH also found out last night that i had left my lights in the ON position instead of the AUTO position, so they have been running 24hrs on since saturday…
As for the purple kushes they are being slow, the one looks happy one not so much and one in between, and the new seedlings are working at getting bigger.

Third/upper cab the fuzz seedlings are getting bigger, right side pot seems to have 4 quite healthy ones out of the 5, and the left side pot may have a few crinkles and a tri if you notice it, so thinking of and early transplant of half of the nice ones and a cull of the laggards.

19 Likes

Hey man @Mr.Sparkle, what would you think about trying to use a 2x4 grow tent horizontally for a micro grow? I was even thinking of compartmentalizing it for males?

Also, besides the Bridgelux EB series strips, do you run any supplemental red or far red spectrum? UVB?

no reason why you couldn’t just consider airflow and may be harder to compartmentalize it if you really wanted pollen separation other wise if you didn’t care if the odd stray pollen occurred or was down stream from your first chamber and air flowed away from that then yeah, also depending i presume your thinking of say using it in a 2x6ish fashion with 4 feet of height, as sure you can use 2 feet of height but its not much height once stuff is actually in the space.

And no i don’t, not worth the cost to implement and electricity use vs output difference when that energy could be used for more light, i just like to keep it simple now adays.

8 Likes

Cool, and did I see you went with the skinny strips vs the wider ones?

And yeah, 4ft high, probably put the tent on a table… with micro grows, do you implement a trellis at all or is that not simple enough? :wink:

And at 4ft high, what size pots would you be looking at?

2 Likes

I am kicking myself for not following your threads more closely. I just spent 2 hours trying to get caught up, and at that I had to just skim a lot of stuff!. You manage to pack a wealth of info into every post!

A couple of things you brought up recently caught my attention. The main one is the leaves drooping before lights out. Ive been wondering about that for a long time.

I finally decided it might be light related, but I thought it was due to just too long an ON time. I was running 20/4 at the time, but when I scaled back to 18/6 it didnt really help much at all. Then I decided it must be humidity, and then I just gave up worrying about it.

But - now that you brought up the idea that its too much light intensity, some ‘light bulbs’ went off in my head. In my Canna-Cheese grow, I was seeing the same droop before lights out during the earlier parts of the grow, but when I added some new seedlings to the tent, I lowered the light levels. It just occurred to me that I have not seen any droop on the canna-cheese since then - and Im still running at 20/4.

I think you are onto something with this theory.

The other thing about leaf temps also got me interested, so I just checked my tent. The tent temp is at 78F, but the leaf temps are 70-71F. It will be interesting to follow up on this.

6 Likes

No just the normal gen2 280mm strips, but if one can or needs enough of them the regular gen3 are the way to go.

As for trellising i don’t and its alot of hassle from a movement and management standpoint, use to LST and aggressively train as well though i don’t any more, all i do is flop tops leaf tuck and pluck when needed, you can see the one canopy above the outcome of that. Its the easiest and quickest method for me though how to do it just comes from experience.

As for pots depends on your goal or plan and how the space is setup say watering wise and if you train or not or if you want to keep males small but the females bigger and how big you want your plants, could use 0.5 liter to 12 liter pots though somewhere in the middle say 1.5-8 liter would be a place to start

7 Likes

Well consider that it may not be too much light as a lone factor but possibly that your plant can only handle so much light at the temperature its at.

My current thought on this is with increased temperatures at the plant this causes them to transpire more allowing them to cope and grow with more light in the process, where as when they run in a colder range they can only deal with so much light as there ability to cool themselves is reduced even though they may be cooler in general.

Not to draw an analogy of two separate things, but like us we can get sun burnt regardless of the temperature whether mid summer or mid winter, its just that in winter due to the cold temps it tricks our bodies in to not sweating cause it knows its cold out but that limits the skins ability to cool itself as well.

Just of it is you may be able to keep those higher light levels so long as the temps are increased at the plant to a point.

8 Likes

So with let’s say an 8 liter, the plants wouldn’t get too big for that space? Or this just goes back to the training and what not?

How bout if you were to use that space doing your method of not training much?

1 Like

Also comes down to watering frequency as you can limit plant size that way, but if one was reasonable on the watering they would be fine in that space without much in the way of training or little if needed, for males you wouldn’t probably want pots that size and you just dont need big male plants but again its all goals and method.

Now could i make plants with 8 liter pots too big for the space quite possibly yeah, but that would be through automated watering and pushing things.

Back to the goal’s what is it that your trying to achieve should probably be the first question.

5 Likes

Day 35/12/5

Moving along, half way there with the left cab the left back plant has some spotting i’m going to change out that res to the flowering ratio of the 2 part MC its running on, right side is fine and is on one part.

Right side bumps and issues but moving along, been plucking pollen sacs off the sprayed plant just to get some more bud development into the other plant before its pollinated im going to trim of a couple branches today and just leave its apex bud which has a lot of pollen sacs forming on it. As for the little ones there doing well, and just got a top up of some dry coco last night, the two remaining purple kushes yeah i dont know slow and issues for the one, but im leaving them as they should start picking up hopefully.

And the Third cab pulled two seedlings and transferred one over and moved another a couple days back, one or two may still go from the left side though that being the tri and a possible light crinkle i’m waiting on.

14 Likes

Day 38/15/8

Well left cab got a defoliation, which wasn’t really needed and the one it got was heavier than i should of probably went, just was getting high humidity to the point where my fan setpoints were driving down the temp to try and maintain a certain RH, so that got raised and i did the defoliation to get my temps back.

Right cab there looking happy, cut back the back Lemon Pie in anticipation of giving the others some space back and that im only really going for seeds with it so it doesn’t need much space to give me a couple hundred.

The third cab removed two more seedlings the tri and a possible crinkle and transplanted one from the other pot to that one to even them out which there all looking happy at the moment.

18 Likes