Harvesting sativas

Thanks for this. When I saw that I bit my tongue and closed the laptop.

1 Like

lol…the last time I got spooked it was strawberry cough and it just went straight up like a jet.
Luckily I was at home and just talked myself down

2 Likes

Personally, I always shoot for when tricomes are about 10% amber, 80% milky, and 10% clear.

Generally its a judgent call if they’re near those ratios or not. Sometimes Ill feel like if I gave them a liitle more time, I could fatten the buds a bit more, but that seems to work for me, so…

1 Like

The weed has changed over the years, going from mostly Sativa to mostly Indica. Going from a full array of cannabinoids to (just about) only thc. For this reason, Some modern hybrids will give a panic attack, and picking on the early side may favor that outcome, but this is not the case with the old Sativas. They are very smooth and never give panic.
Red glands, though favored now for some reason, mean thc loss and cbn rise. With Sativas the high disappears, too. Some never go red, or take forever doing so. No or little weight is gained, time is added to the grow, and the high effect lessens or disappears entirely.

11 Likes

Thanks for that. I appreciate your input.

That is very interesting. I’m a 55 year smoker, never really grew. So i’m learning a lot. Thanks for that information. Sativa is being harvested too late nowadays, is how i understood you. I too had red that the longer the cure, the less THC and more CBD or CBN as you stated. Also where you say,

This definitely implies the loss of what’s known as “entourage effect”, would that be correct?
I should amend what i said about that maui wowie i had that gave me such a panic attack, and state that i never saw how red the trichs were, as it was purchased from the dispo and immediately rolled into joints. Also that probably was well before I had read much if anything about trichs and their effects.

3 Likes

For sure. 100%

Almost certainly it was a hybrid, too…unless thc % was listed in the teens. I had “Acapulco Gold” dispensary bud given to me by a friend recently. 30% thc and rock hard buds. I chuckled when i opened it at home and saw it, chucked it aside, and packed a stout bowl of Old Silversides😁

5 Likes

Isnt this something thats been proven in studies? That milky to few ambers has the least oxygenated cannabinoids. I dont see any science beyond that.
On “sativas” properly fed in my experience i get very little amber.
Agricultural has a while science of pgrs some natural some not that all it does it try to stop ros.

Vitamin c works great against this.
You dont want brown.

1 Like

As opposed to having even more amber glands, yes, its been proven. I’d think having no amber glands would have even less oxygenated cannabinoids than having a few.
If you want a super clear uppity high, pick when glands are clear. For me, this is when the plant has the strongest up effect. At this point, if I am waiting for milky glands, it is only because I am allowing calyxes to swell more and bud size is increasing quicker than the high is diminishing. Ie I am gaining more than I am losing. If the resin is full sized and still clear and the calyxes have swollen too, i pick.

5 Likes

It’s weaker that’s why.
There’s the secret to “muh sativa” and clear trichomes, it’s just weaker so you say “aww it didn’t knock me out” the placebo is strong.

I’ve been snipping a bud off my sativa every few days, it’s too racy at the moment, but I feel the high developing and gaining power(legs) and less paranoia,

it’s a cool experiment, sometimes I do amber, but I think that’s too general unless you want that specific modern day high. I don’t subscribe to that theory unless you want a couchlock indica only, it works for those cookies and kushes.

What I’m looking for which is mostly physically medicinal and mentally uplifting or psychedelic and creative good for work. Basically to get the most out of the pheno in my tent and I guess the only way to do that is to smoke it along the way. The rest is just guessing.

4 Likes

That’s exactly what I recommend. @Upstate you’ve got plenty of experience with Mystic’s Oaxacan so you can say with confidence when to harvest. If someone hasn’t grown a genetic before and they aren’t sure when the best time to harvest is, the most reliable method is probably going to be smoking testers as you reach the window of maturity. What I usually find is as effects develop, it goes from a raw potency that’s short lived, to a longer lasting and more complex effect and if taken too long the effects overall start to mellow, but that takes longer than most growers think and you’ve usually got a week or more in there of smoking testers and going “It’s great and not really getting better” before you risk losing anything.

4 Likes

“It’s a really clear high…” ha ha ha. If you harvest a sativa (or any plant) too early, for sure. Harvest the right sativa at the right time and you’re going to the dark side of the moon that Indicas have never seen.

7 Likes

If sedation is the goal you could go '70’s and grab a handful of seconal.
Red Devils **will put you out.