How does harvesting early/middle/late effect the high with sativa's?

I have searched but cant find it again. Ive seen a couple of people say that the timing of when you harvest a sativa type strain - early or late or in the middle - can change how the high feels, but I cant remember the details, and cant find it again.

Searching just brings up clear vrs cloudy vrs amber trichomes with no comments on the effect on the high.

Anyone have any feed back on this?

My current grow in just entering week 8 and the trichomes are starting to get about 50% cloudy but almost no amber yet.

I seem to remember someone saying the high could be jangly or psychotic or something if you timed it wrong. Dont want that!

This is Blue Dream by the way.

6 Likes

With Sativas itā€™s all about the trichomes. If you chop when mainly milky it makes the buzz really energetic and trippy. If you wait longer for the trichomes to turn mainly amber it gives you more of a couch lock buzz.

3 Likes

Initially (when fully formed) trichomes have the maximum amount of THC. Over time, this degrades into CBN as a result of the environment. UV, temperature, friction etc.

THC is the uplifting psychedelic buzz, CBN is the stoner body buzz. THC can aggravate some mental issues, CBD, and I suspect CBN is anti-psychotic.

When you become familiar with your plant, you can essentially choose which sort of buzz it has by choosing when you cut it.

Cutting early will reduce yield and shift the THC/CBN balance towards THC. Cutting later will shift the THC/CBN balance towards CBN and fully realise your yield.

EDIT : Changed CBD to CBN

13 Likes

Everything you said is true, but it is CBN that THC degrades to. THCA and CBDA are both made from the CBGA precursor, but are made with different synthase paths.

This article covers it in a pretty easy to understand format.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.marijuana.com/news/2014/06/cannabinoid-biosynthesis-part-1-cbg-thc-cbd-and-cbc/amp/

22 Likes

Ah, fair enough. I am not so familiar with all the types of cannabinoids.

I will edit my post to reflect the more accurate info for anyone who comes along and reads it.

4 Likes

Thanks guys!!

I dont want a couch lock type of high for sure. I have plenty of other stuff on hand for that.

Im looking for more of a up-lifting, get some stuff done kind of hi, but I also dont want a psychedelic, hallucinating, acid trip type of high either.

I just want to feel good without getting sleepy or zoning out completely and waking up to find the day is gone.

So, it sounds like I need to try for mostly cloudy then?

3 Likes

idk man eveything i was ever taught for uplifting harvest early for sedative harvest lateā€¦ the upper high to me is usually more trippy but your up and awake forsure

3 Likes

couch is couch sedative you just wake up the next day

3 Likes

I would suggest to get exactly the stone you want, take some cuttings of plants you like, then try cutting little tester buds off as they grow. Label them, dry them, and smoke them. When you find one that has the buzz you like, note which day of the cycle it is from and which plant then next cycle, cut the whole plant at that point.

It will be a little experimenting, and having one cycle where the buzz is a little more couch lock than you would prefer but next cycle you would have almost exactly the type of buzz you want (if the strain you are growing will make that, some are just ā€˜sleepy weedā€™)

Of course different points of the plant are at different stages of maturity and you may find that a staggered cut down gives you more of the stone you like.

Myself, I have found a strain that does not seem to change much after week 6 and ends up just where I like it so I let mine run the full course.

Mind you, these days I only smoke when I regard the day as ā€˜doneā€™

You could totally watch the trichomes and check for cloudy etc but that will only tell you so much. If the plant you grow makes cloudy trichomes full of CBD then ā€˜cloudyā€™ will mean lots of CBD, same for THC. Tester buds will tell you everything. If you note the amount of cloudy trichomes etc on your tester buds though, then next time you could just check cloudiness for each bud because you will know what that relates to regarding the type of buzzā€¦

Like with most ā€˜jobsā€™ regarding growing, a detailed set of notes is a very good idea and will improve your end product no end.

6 Likes

With Panama red and Burmese the early like 8 week stuff is hella speedy and clear bell high
As it goes longer it gets trippy ad body high in my expierienceā€¦
Peace

5 Likes

Thatā€™s how one of the Purple OG bagseed I grew wound up actually. I let it go full Amber and another I let go 60% Amber. Both gave a speedy upper high. The one with full Amber added some stone and the one with 60% was a trippy high. Both made me zone out though as I was high and not sober at all. I wasnā€™t couch locked at all and when I tried sitting down the energy was too much to sit still. Like a severe ADHD moment. The 60% Amber one made me see tracers. Full Amber actually made me aware of my subconscious it felt like.

4 Likes

The saddest part is that Iā€™ve had acid and shrooms in massive doses and those 2 plants wound up more euphoric and with more intense visuals.

There may be something wrong with my brain as I struggle to see any hallucinations even with 500ug LSD, when I had 5g pan cyan shrooms, or even 4g liberty caps :grimacing::sweat_smile:

Must be all the meds I was forced to take for 18 years in toxic doses changing my brain. Weekly blood tests suck. Even years later I can see the pock marks left from nurses who werenā€™t trained on how to find a vein at all. My skin is nearly translucent itā€™s so pale and my veins bulge out in my elbow.

Apparently I got low level PTSD from being forcibly strapped to a chair so often as I just had a blank stare after typing that last part while I relived it. On that note Iā€™m going to find a way to smoke and calm down and finally take my maca.

3 Likes

Informative thread. Before I read the article posted in the frirst few replys.

I will ask.

What stage would avoid the over-thinking , rapid thought , spun out high? Like sometimes I smoke during the day, before lunch , and come 5-9PM , I AM still speed thinking and canā€™t stop, my brain is over active and almost paranoidā€¦I may consider it very mild psychosisā€¦it definitly makes a difference when I smoke certain strains, also the amounts i smoke. I try to do the whole less is more thing. But sometimes itā€™s 3-4 joints.

Would that be considered a head high, or is that going to happen with all cannabis i smoke? I mean I smoked for almost 20 years but the last 10 years I am very casual, not habitual at all.

I have some indica growing. And Ive got some bad knee pain Iā€™m hopng To relieve, along with muscle pain . Just hoping it wonā€™t flare up the over active thinking.

4 weeks 1 day into 9lb hammer, chem91 and weeding cake.

9lb is early flower like, 50-60 day maybe?

4 Likes

As far as nerve pain I swear by cbg. Itā€™s the only cannabinoid to date that will keep my back in a good spot. I still get flare-up from time to time. Lately it hasnā€™t been bugging me as much as Iā€™ve maintained a daily intake.
For cbg itā€™s usually an early harvest to get higher levels.

I honestly canā€™t remember right now what stage cbc is at peak :thinking: Iā€™m in the process of passing out soon lol.

Cbn is usually a late harvest cannabinoid. Itā€™s the oxidized form of thc. Usually I end up with the highest cbn levels after Iā€™ve grown the trichomes to bursting and push the plant to get one last bud growth before it dies. Makes the bud super sticky obviously, but it exposes the cannabinoids to oxidation and will make a heavy cbn harvest.

Cbc will help as an anti-inflammatory. Think cbd, but if cbd was as weak as chamomile tea in comparison to cbc.

Cbn is more than the stone cannabinoid. Itā€™s an antipsychotic. Idk why so many sources BS and say cbd is one. Itā€™s not. If it was dabbing 1000mg cbd in an hour would have done even a little on that day. Cbd also doesnā€™t help my specific arthritis, so take that as you will.

Iā€™m pretty sure the cbn is also helping to mood stabilize or one of the 3 are.

While I havenā€™t been able to grow Iā€™ve had to purchase my options to medicate my aches and pains/mental woes. I thankfully found a lab tested source of cbg, cbc, cbn, cbd(lol), and delta 8.

My ankles donā€™t lock up and swell after moving a mile anymore :relaxed: I regularly pace from adhd. If I donā€™t move my muscles ache and feel like lactic acid rocks.

My back pops itself mostly and I can shift again to pop spots I couldnā€™t for years outside of select strains.

My hands and arms are still tense, but overall looser than they used to be. Much less constant tension and pain in every joint.

My knees occasionally have a issue, but Iā€™m not wobbly anymore when I take a corner turn now. Though thatā€™s also my ankles too. They donā€™t lock up and make an outward turn impossible without falling anymore.

My neck has been loose enough that i donā€™t pop it much anymore. I had actually noticed this morning that I pop my neck a few times a day now only. Not constantly anymore.

My migraines are way less frequent too. Now only when at peak stress.

These are anecdotal notes, but still if they help anyone else not live in pain why not try?

5 Likes

Is 9lb an autoflower? As far as the stage to harvest that does depend on the strain. Itā€™s also tbh more complicated than cannabinoids alone. Terpenes can turn an indica dominant into a hybrid or depending on body chemistry a sativa. If you dab or vape concentrates of any kind look for Zkittlez terpenes. It provides a really good stone without sedation if that makes sense. I have myself and 3 others who it has helped with depression as well, so who knows it may be good for that. I suspect thatā€™s the case, but again too small a number of people to say for certain.

THAnk younfor this reply !

Much appreciated . Very selfless of you to share such input .
I ended up reading a Bunch of articles last night about the difference between head high and body stone.
I always seemed it was obvious. But i never took the time To divulge into the break down of it

Iā€™ve smoked for a long time but for the first decade I donā€™t think I even considered a buzz doing one or two other except one being really potent and giving me couch lock or dragging me out.

I was young so at that point i donā€™t think it matters, I was permafried for the first 6 year run. There wasnā€™t so much available information. It was either bunk week / Schwag, Bog or it was skunk/ potant !! Lol

To be honest, Now I prefer the low thc , low quality stuff. I would almost be entertained to growing a HIgh cbd / NO TO LOW thc strains I am pretty sure im Have friend who did a all CBD STRain.

With reading last night, I found most are really HybridiZed strains with either a dominance.

So from what I know and grew, the 9lb isnā€™t a auto flower, i vegged it and flowered with the rest.

My friend also mentioned wedding cake was a indica ,which it is a hybrid I think, but i had all 4 in a tent and and the three I thought were indica. Grew short and bushy, and the one I thought was sativa grew way up super tall and skinny!

Iā€™m definitely going to lean towards the CBD (cbd) and research this some more.

I can always smoke less to avoid getting too much THC and being overly high. But it would be nice to know the indicators as when To harvest.

I have 4 plant s, two are the same , so I will probably harvest two strains differently and bag and tag them, the other I will most likely grow to its potential and to match its strains description.

The wedding cake seems like a very beautifully plant and I donā€™t think I would mind a up lifting creative head high, I just need to know WHAT I am smoking when the time comes!

I do remember smoking a strain called LA strada from the cannabis shop , which is sativa mostly, and i smoked It after lunch and I remembered feeling so UPLIFTED! Positive , confidant and very uppy energetic . It was great at that moment, I felt like it was My first time experiencing that. I was at work and I always need to be careful what I smoke or the amount. Sometimes I smoke and Iā€™m just going around in circles like a dummy being very unproductive, itā€™s funny but costly.

So thanks for all the information again.

This is my 9lb hammer

4 Likes

Delta 8 thc may be something youā€™d like, but make sure itā€™s from a good source. 3rd party lab tested. It should be tested for solvents and contamination or they could be trying to pass dirty oil with otherwise good contents if it didnā€™t get contaminated.

It has a indica like hybrid effect. Paranoia and anxiety donā€™t seem to be triggered in excess even, so it could be a way to enjoy a heady high occasionally :wink:

Iā€™d look into some of 1:1 thc/cbd strains. Theyā€™re not to potent like 10-15%thc with same cbd. Iā€™ve got some waterstone cbd seeds Iā€™m probably never gonna run.

3 Likes

@anon32470837 It does seem more important to look at the strainā€™s genetics in my opinion. The characteristics of the ā€œhighā€ will be typical to the strain more than trichome development, which is more of a fine tuning tool, and Iā€™ve found curing has an additional effect on the high and flavour.

2 Likes

Curing makes all the difference for mine as well when I grow. A long cure made mine go from all over the place and grassy to honey and tea smelling.

1 Like