Does peak potency coincide with peak flavour?

Hey folk’s,
I’m not too concerned with potency it’s a secondary thing for me, flavour is really what keeps me growing.

I’m wondering if there’s a point that terps peak, and is that peak before the onset of x % of amber trichomes?

I don’t have access to lab testing but I’d like know if there’s a point that terps peak, and if that peak is before or during the onset of amber trichomes?

What you think for best flavour?

Thanks

14 Likes

I dont have any sci data to rely on, but i believe it is strain dependent and some strains have a different peak for scent than for cannabinoids. Ive noticed this myself with some strains but dont think of it as much more than anecdotal. On the other hand, there are breeders that sometimes advise to cut a lil sooner than later for certain strains, like archive for rainbow belts:

You’re rewarded with a very quick flower time of 8 weeks where the flavor is even better when harvested a little early vs late.

7 Likes

I have grown thousands of plants during my lifetime and although they were in the woods with almost no pampering, I can tell you that they are all different and each individual plant changes depending on enviromental factors. Try to harvest according to the amber resin glands. I dont think you can control flavor in any way. :grin:

6 Likes

I think a 20 percent thc high terp flower would smoke stronger than a 20 percent low terp flower, thats always been my thoughts .

Ive smoked flower that smelled like mid but had really good sativa effects , trippy.

Ive smoked flower than tasted insane terp city and it had good effects but it was just cbd

Typically the tasty ass weed gives the best most comfortable highs, Aside from smoking too much Master Kush with low tolerance, most weeds I got paranoid from didnt have the best terp profile I want to say. ( i say aside master cuz it taste good lol )

8 Likes

I can relate to a lot of what’s been said, there’s been a few plants/crops I thought had a great smell around 60/70 days but come harvest it’s disappeared.

I’m not finding letting it go longer for amber trichs = better, I’m finding it’s less desirable and frustrating beyond words lol.

14 Likes

Yes. Ripeness is very subjective and a personal preference. :grinning:

4 Likes

Yes, after about 10-15% amber you will definitely start to see degradation in terps imho , it frustrates me to no end because I prefer 15-20% amber on most strains, 25-30 on some and it always kills me smelling that peak window go right by. I might start taking some buds early just to experience them at peak. I find that much less and a lot of strains don’t have as much medical help for me pain/anxiety wise. It’s a very thin line that for sure :man_facepalming:t2:

12 Likes

Its like playing Russian Roulette sometimes each plant is different .If you try and Take some of Baudalaires Cindy 99 and harvest it and Mostly clear some cloudy you will get Rollorcoaster Heart attack weed that has you peeking out of blinds and checking to see if the chain lock is on the door peeking out the Peephole.Now take that same plant and let her amber up a small touch and she smokes as good as any other real good smoke

6 Likes

I know a lot of people are probably going to tear me up for this, but I personally feel a little bit of abuse helps with potency, especially outdoors

5 Likes

I always go with milky with a sprinkle of clear. I never seek amber. To me it’s at its peak as mentioned. I grew out a white widow and let it amber up. I harvested half the plant and let the other sit. The great smell disappeared and a lot of potency went south on the amber ones. The others were great.

5 Likes

Hey @GregOG when you say twisting plants,
do mean twisting the stems to soften and open up the plant to give it width…and more light

Thanks

1 Like

If that’s the case, then my current batch is going to be HI POTENCY weed! :crazy_face: Unintentionally abused by overfeeding. :shushing_face:

2 Likes

The latest research I’ve seen on trichome development and biochemistry supports the idea that the best indicator for harvest is trichome head size. Thats a bitch to measure, but luckily it coincides with stalk elongation and the appearance of a cane like hooked shape. @JoeCrowe has an excellent picture of this. I’ve pretty much ditched trichome color because I can check stalk length using my phone camera or naked eye. Just look for the cane!

From what I have seen and read, generally THC levels peak around week 6 and terpene content peaks 2 weeks later. There is likely some strain specificity there, but thats the current state of research.

7 Likes

lol! That sketch was the end-game secret from the industry.

17 Likes

I’m not sure about that one. I’ve seen…things…man…

1 Like

There are some great comments being shared and a wonderful discussion talking shape. Awesome thread @Star_Dog. If you’re into the academic research paper type thing I would recommend checking out some or all of these, they can be found online:

Cannabis glandular trichomes alter morphology and metabolite content during flower maturation by Livingston

Characterization of trichome phenotypes to assess maturation and flower development in Cannabis sativa L. (cannabis) by automatic trichome gland analysis by Sutton

Glandular trichome development, morphology, and maturation are influenced by plant age and genotype in high THC-containing cannabis (Cannabis sativa L.) inflorescences by Punja

I think peak potency and flavor vary by type and individual preference to some extent, and are limited by genetics to another. I think @GregOG touches on an important aspect with respect to the relative brix levels and their comparative performance. Really like the discussion being had on the clear abscission point. Not specific to cannabis or trichomes but when being taught how to pick fruits off trees I was always taught that they’re ready when they come off easily with a gentle touch. I’m imagining a similar instance must be happening? It’s cool to see the similarities in things like this. I’m grateful for your comments. Many blessings and much love

9 Likes

I was looking into production techniques when I came across Kyle Kushman’s “Kuchman’s Chiropractics”. While I’m sure he’s not the first to take twisting a bit far, it did seem to have merit. Is this similar to what you mean by “twisting”? I’ve never tried it in a testing situation, too many strains to grow for much comparison testing

3 Likes

Seems more like this from the images.

At day bout 43 or so? When the stalk of the trichome gets longer/taller it starts to get narrow as well. Until it can barely support the cap.

5 Likes

Eye protection is worth it I think. I just got these - best ones I’ve ever found. I get true colors still, like I’m not even wearing sunglasses, they wrap all the way around the edges and above so no light leaks. They go right over my glasses, but I’m sure you could wear them without. These are a little big on me, so if you’ve got a small head you’ll want a smaller size. Ordered them from Walmart, but it’s not the only place that has them. Just tell Google you want:

Solar Shield Fits-Over SS Polycarbonate II Sunglasses, Smoke Grey Color

2 Likes

I’m going with “false” on that claim. Definitely.