Ready or not? How do you check for ripening?

I’m a trichs man myself. And a lot of folks go by looks when it comes ripening. What is your method when it comes to a “finished” product? I’m a 30-40% Amber guy with most strains, for example indica and some hybrids. But, sativa I like closer to 10-20% Amber. What say you?

3 Likes

at first i go by hairs, when the hair look ready i start scoping. usualy pull at 30-50% amber. if i know the cultivar i can just see if its done with a quick naked eye look:)

3 Likes

I try to hit thirty to forty percent but if i am in a hurry i will pull at ten or twenty. Sativas i might let go longer hoping they won’t be to jittery. I keep hearing you get more CBD the earlier you harvest and more terpines the longer you let them go. Who knows, i guess we need to keep smoking for research of course.

6 Likes

“Hairs” is your predictor to start checking trich color? Are we talking 80% red hair or? Agreed that is normally when I start checking trichs. What I have found, that different varieties of strains go faster to Amber…no matter bud inspection EG “red hair.”

2 Likes

i usualy start checking when the hairs are like 20-30% red. i noticed the same thing, some do go amber before the hairs but most varieties ive grown hve been faithful to me;) hahahaha

1 Like

VGrowing different strains is so interesting. Some strains will never make it to 10% Amber due to what ever type of issue. Where some strains will sit for months with very little adverse issues,. I believe this is a genetic specific problem; another issue that is interesting to discuss: indoor strains and outdoor strains is this a real thing? Can we grow specific indoor strains outdoor with success before they blow up into a pile of mold? For instance, Subfools strains, grower friends of mine in Oregon don’t grow Subfools strains outdoor because Subfools strains (outdoor) grow mold more than buds. And, checking trichs on big grows outdoor or even indoor is a interesting dilemma. Because upper trichs are going to be closer to Amber while lower trichs maybe milky and even clear. That argues for cutting top branches so lower branches can ripen, but big growers I know ain’t got time to waste on this method. So what we get is a mix of trich colors which is fine too…a variety…I hope young growers watch this thread develop education is the key…It’s important to understand trich development in predicting ones medical needs, strength and so on…

6 Likes

i think weak genetics cant do the inside and outside thing. and also the grower has a lot to do with it forsure. but check out the mendo dope boys. HUGE plants. all bred by subcool. outside. no problems. subcool breeds everything inside so i would assume they are inside plants. but the mendo boys show you inside genetics can def do amazing outside. but i bet if you were to throw crop king outside it would be a different storyXD

2 Likes

I don’t even look at the trichomes, I just go by the pistils turning orange (75-90%), and the entire health of the plant. Usually the plant lets you know in a bunch of ways that it’s done.

Leaves suddenly turn much lighter green over 1-2 days, the plant stops taking water.

2 Likes

“Mendo boys” interesting folks…I have run into them here and there. Next time I do, I’ll ask what they are growing, but good point I appreciate this!

2 Likes

they put it all on youtube:) doing some notill this year! cant wait to see that forsure

1 Like

I appreciate this very much! Paying attention to the rhythm of the plant is a good choice for me too.

YouTube is such a great educator…

2 Likes

How more latter ya recolected, more Indica efects ya will have. As more early, more in the “sativa way”…
I dont trusts in pistils colors, cos temp n dry change it : I look for trichomes colors n size, as well as flowers calix size n health…

4 Likes

HPS in a hot room will white out the top of the bud and fool you if you don’t check the whole plant. When i say twenty or thirty percent i mean after checking the whole plant and averaging the trichomes in my head.

2 Likes

Mini microscope and a steady hand.

2 Likes

can i get one of those steady hands off ya;)

4 Likes

I use a 25/50X cannabis (lupe?) “lupa para cannabis”).

2 Likes

Its really the only way to do it!

8 Likes

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y1kBWvBAwq0

3 Likes
3 Likes